Shopping for WIDE tires

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I've never had to shop for 315 tires before... But I am having issues...
It's ironic because I work at Costco in the tire dept but we do not stock this size tire..

I need to replace the rear tires on the 98 I just picked up because the sidewalls are dangerously close to blowing out due to the damage done by the fender lip, I am surprised they are holding air honestly. I would like to drive this car around for a month or so before parking it for winter, and I think I am going to change up the tires sizes over the winter, so I am not trying to spend ~$350 a tire for a month of driving...

Where do you guys get your wider tires from? Discount sites? Tire shops that wont bend you over?

The size is 315/30/18
uwAwGsc.jpg

Does anyone in the new england area have a spare set kicking around they want to sell maybe? Honestly doesn't need to have much tread left as I would only put a few hundred miles on them before parking the car for the winter...

01yellercobra

Reaction score
My last set I got from Ebay when they were having some kind of sale across the site. Normally I go through Discount Tire or Tire Rack. And I've been running Nittos forever.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
If you need to replace both, why not go to a 285 or 295? They would be cheaper and easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just fill it with fix a flat and what would you have to worry about? If you just want cheap/temporary call your local tire shops and see if they sell used tires and what they have that would fit. As he said you don't need 315s today especially if they are already dragging the fender.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Take a look at Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I purchased mine through Walmart online for a good price. I am presently running 18” by 295/30 on 18”x10” rims in the rear with no rubbing with stock springs. This setup is wide but gives me a stock diameter to keep the speedo accurate.

Last edited:

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
if you can wait, e-bay has 10% and 15% discounts across the board fairly regularly.
otherwise these are about as cheap as you can get for new

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-Toyo-PROXES-R888R-315-30-18-TIRE-98-Y-3153018-315-30-18-315-30-18/173614077493?fits=Aspect+Ratio:30|Section+Width:315|Rim+Diameter:18&epid=13005313021&hash=item286c349635:g:viQAAOSwJt5b2JUu:rk:6:pf:0

if they are temporary....then craigs might be the answer for some good used ones. some of the companies that sell on there will ship.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
First things first....I'd grab a fender roller and roll those fender lips asap! Even if you run a 285 that's right around an inch narrower...which results in a half inch further in...think that will be far enough inside to not hit the sidewall? The edge of the fender lip is super sharp...just a slight roll will give you a smoother edge so that even if you are still rubbing...you're not chewing slices into the sidewall lol

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Yea I definetly want to roll them asap. My fender roller was broken and thrown out by an old friend of mine and I haven't found anyone local to me that has one I can borrow. I'm probably gonna pick up a cheap one that'll just get me by to roll my 2 fenders.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
really depends on the offset you have. I have had, in 17", 315's on two different cars, including the one I have had now without having to roll and never had any rubbing. I've got 335's on there now and still have not rolled the fender and have no rubbing there on the lip at all.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
really depends on the offset you have. I have had, in 17", 315's on two different cars, including the one I have had now without having to roll and never had any rubbing. I've got 335's on there now and still have not rolled the fender and have no rubbing there on the lip at all.
And the tires as well. My 04 came with 17x10.5" reps with sumitomos and it didn't rub. Swapped to my FR500s with 555R's and they rubbed a bit as I expected. Rolled the fenders and all was good. Switched to G2's and they rubbed even worse. Had to roll the fenders a tad more.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Reaction score
As for wheel-well rollers, take a look at Eastwood. Mine is stout and made to last for years.
Its good to check Amazon for that stuff too. I got my roller for about half off I think. And it's an Eastwood roller. It's been used on 4 different cars so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online