Short throw shifter question

97/4.6w/fangs

Reaction score
My T45 has an issue going into reverse and I hear it's pretty normal. Did a short throw shifter make a difference for any of you with a reverse issue?

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
had the same issue before I replaced my transmission

put a STS on...and it was probably a little worse

Ciotti

Reaction score
The problem is that reverse is not synchronised on T-45's, the shifter has nothing to do with it. If you pull into reverse and it doesn't go right in, push forward into 5th which will line the input shaft up right and then pull back into reverse and it'll slide right in.

OP
OP

97/4.6w/fangs

Reaction score
thanks for the quick responses guys. Now here's another question, is the synchro problem an easy fix for a transmission shop to take care of?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
97/4.6w/fangs said:
thanks for the quick responses guys. Now here's another question, is the synchro problem an easy fix for a transmission shop to take care of?

Ciotti said:
The problem is that reverse is not synchronised on T-45's, the shifter has nothing to do with it. If you pull into reverse and it doesn't go right in, push forward into 5th which will line the input shaft up right and then pull back into reverse and it'll slide right in.

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
There is no syncro for reverse so you can't fix it. You may try changing your fluid out to some synthetic like Royal purple, that will help it slide in a little better i would think.

badass98svt

Reaction score
It's normal.
One thing that helps though is too shift into a forward gear first, then put in in Reverse, Goes in like butta

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
If anything short throw made it "worse", not as in making it harder to go into reverse, just the fact that a short throw naturally requires more physical effort due to leverage. Like said above, T-45s don't go into reverse easily unless you put it in a forward gear first

97WhitePony

Reaction score
Im a 4th to reverse man myself... im in the habit of doing it to everything i drive now haha

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Actually sometimes reverse decides to be a complete cocksucker and just won't go. I just put it into every gear and try reverse again. If it still doesn't work just put it in first, roll forward ever so slightly and try again. It should go right in after that. Hell, I never try to go straight into reverse even when I'm not thinking about it.

Slow95Cobra

Reaction score
3rd to reverse man here, works everytime. or you can hold it in reverse, and SLOWY ease the clutch up to get the tranny to move a tick, it will fall in

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem on my t45 with my triax, my t5 tends to be the whorebag.

TXbluebitch

Reaction score
5th to reverse man myself also, all my friends with my year model always have that problem but otherwise my tranny is a pos

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.