shorten your factory antenna

98kandystang

Reaction score
insted of paying alot for a shorty antenna shorten yours. You can do it easily with only the most basic tools. You'll need something to cut the antenna with and a wrench, a file and a grinder/sander/dremel.
1. Remove antenna. This is the place to use the wrench. It unscrews counter-clockwise (lefty loosey.) Put a piece of masking tape on the jaws to prevent paint chipping. If you are having trouble with this step get a friend to help, or just go back to eating lead paint chips.
2. Remove the ball on the antenna. It is pressed on from the factory, not welded, screwed or any other means attached. To do this take something hard that has a gap bigger than the shaft but smaller than the ball. I had a vise, but you can use vise grips, a piece of wood with a split in it, or anything hard enough to hold up to the task. Take the antenna and put it into your improvised ball puller, with the ball pointing up, and yank down. You may have to do it once or twice to get your technique right. If you use a metal object to do this you will scratch the ball and shaft. Krylon makes a super cover up called cheap old black paint. Now dig around and find the ball. It's probably under the very hardest spot in the garage to reach.
3. Shorten the antenna. Mark the antenna at the height you want it to be and use your prefeered cutting implement to hack it off. I used my handy dandy Dremel, but a good pair of side cutters will do it. You can hacksaw it also. You get the idea, make the extra go bye-bye.
4. Re-fit the ball. The ball will not fit back onto the shaft because the shaft tapers as it goes down. Make a slight bevel on the newly shortened shaft with something the removes metal in slow increments. If you overdo it you will have to cut a little more off the shaft and do it again, so go slow. You're looking to make it look like a new pencil that you just started in the sharpener. A belt sander, Dremel, grinding wheels, or a plain hand file will do the job. You could even scrape it against the concrete if you happen to be a guest of the state at the time. Take off just enough that the ball fits over the end , but does not go all the way back down onto the shaft.
5. Press the ball. Put the ball on the shaft and press as hard as you can with your finger. Put a piece of tape on the shaft just a little bit under the ball and measure the gap between tape and ball or find a little piece of something that you can use as a reference for the distance. Turn the newly shortened antenna upside-down and drop it on the floor a couple times from about a foot high to seat the ball. Use the tape to gauge how far down the ball has been pressed. Look at the top of the original antenna to see how deep it can be pressed.
6. Paint and polish. If you were extremely careful you didn't chip the ball, scratch the shaft, or grind off some paint. If you did, take the ever trusty Krylon and touch up any blemishes.
7. Put the antenna back on, dummy.

Crone

Reaction score
Was the radio reception messed up at all by this? Pretty good idea for us cheap ones lol :thumbsup:

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
i did this back in 2001 to my 94 and with my antenna no higher then my roof the radio works perfect.

Crone

Reaction score
Guess I'll have to give it a shot then, I use the radio alot so I didn't want to screw myself lol. Thanks man

NCMystic

Reaction score
notable to mention that you can use a blow torch and roll the shaft while heating it and beat and even taper back into it with a hammer. at least that's what i did a while back, worked well for me. good writeup

SUBPLANAR

Reaction score
The reason the antenna is the length it is, is because it effectively matches the amplitude of the radio wave. To get the maximum amount if reception with this mod, you may need to do a little math.

vibrantred5.0

Reaction score
I did this to my antenna....take it easy and don't do it super short at first.....my reception is messed up from it.....its not horrible but definately not as good as normal. I cut mine down to 18 inches.

NCMystic

Reaction score
i cut mine less than 10 inches and my reception was not effected. i also do not listen to the radio that much. . . . . but didn't notice an issue when i did. definately had no issue with my ipods radio tuner

hndaklr

Reaction score
Yup did this to mine put the ball back on.. But I Also took the entire anteanna to a wire wheel and now it looks polished, doesn't rust or anything worked great

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Done it to all my cars but never had the want to make a write up about it. Glad you did tho!

Same thing ive always done and i still get all the stations ive ever listend to cyrstal clear!

Barner1

Reaction score
Just completed this mod. Took about 30 minutes. Made for a good "off work day" project. Looks tons better! Thanks alot for the write-up.

Slykin

Reaction score
If only shipping wasn't expensive someone could trade me for mine. I want my mast back lol. If you're in the city or a densely populated area, you shouldn't have a problem, but when I go home from college I get crappy reception.

chris91

Reaction score
I have found the easiest way to remove the ball is to put the hex end in a vice. Take a pair of wire strippers and use the hole that lets them slide on the antenna freely but stops on the ball. Then smack the strippers with a hammer. Works everytime and wont put marks on the ball.

Echo

Reaction score
The reason the antenna is the length it is, is because it effectively matches the amplitude of the radio wave. To get the maximum amount if reception with this mod, you may need to do a little math.

And what is the math? What's your source on this?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I wanted to do this. But then I won't have anything to unlock my car when I lock my Keys in. On my 95 I completely shave It ran it on the outside of the fender sideways. Works ok.. Hardy ever listen to the radio. Do not sure how bad it really hurt reception.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online