Should i buy 2001 gt convertible

Jbarker83

Reaction score

PinkieT

Reaction score
The rust under the weatherstrip is a warning sign. I suggest a thorough inspection crawling underneath, pulling up the truck pad, under the carpet if possible, and better yet on a lift at a garage to check for major rust. Paint and body work to fix rust can be expensive. Based on the limited pics, seems kinda pricey to me. I live in Cleveland and drove to Tennessee to get my ragtop.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do what PinkieT did, look at other states.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
i just sold my 01 gt cause tower rust and quarter panel. i checked this new gt no tower rust quarters are clean and under the car is clean

The rust under the weatherstrip is a warning sign. I suggest a thorough inspection crawling underneath, pulling up the truck pad, under the carpet if possible, and better yet on a lift at a garage to check for major rust. Paint and body work to fix rust can be expensive. Based on the limited pics, seems kinda pricey to me. I live in Cleveland and drove to Tennessee to get my ragtop.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I see the rust on mine and tears begin to form.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
yeh like i said i just sold my 01 gt because the quarters rusting from the inside and both shockers were rusted through you would never know car looks clean when i bought it didnt notice the shit :(

now this 01 im looking all over it lol only spot i found that was rusted but people telling me it can be fixed might only be surface rust but idk

PinkieT

Reaction score
yeh like i said i just sold my 01 gt because the quarters rusting from the inside and both shockers were rusted through you would never know car looks clean when i bought it didnt notice the shit :(

now this 01 im looking all over it lol only spot i found that was rusted but people telling me it can be fixed might only be surface rust but idk

Surface rust is not hard or expensive to fix. If the car is solid, maybe not a bad deal, but really can't tell from a few pics. How is the clutch, oil pressure? Any water in the oil or vice versa? CarFax show any wrecks or problems? I'm not saying keep looking, I'm saying keep your eyes wide open and see if the seller will come down on price. Got a buddy or a mechanic you can take it to and get an impartial opinion?

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
Surface rust is not hard or expensive to fix. If the car is solid, maybe not a bad deal, but really can't tell from a few pics. How is the clutch, oil pressure? Any water in the oil or vice versa? CarFax show any wrecks or problems? I'm not saying keep looking, I'm saying keep your eyes wide open and see if the seller will come down on price. Got a buddy or a mechanic you can take it to and get an impartial opinion?

He came down from $7300 he said the wheels and tires a recent $1200 lol I sold my 01 for $5700 so it's less than mine was

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I would hold out for a rust free one. I looked at hundreds of cars on Craigslist before I finally found the right one. I did a fly and drive 8 hours away.

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
I would hold out for a rust free one. I looked at hundreds of cars on Craigslist before I finally found the right one. I did a fly and drive 8 hours away.

I live in the north east hard to fine completely rust free and I don't have the time and money to travel down south to get one

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
All of them around here people asking that and more. I sold mine for 5700 lol

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
I swear every one thinks there Mustang is the cleanest greatest lol

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
Hopefully this does work out. I'd definitely get that part worked out first obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

car is so much cleaner its not even funny but also seems slower lol only has a kn intake my other mustang had intake tb intake manifold and tuned felt much quicker lol

PinkieT

Reaction score
If you are happy with the purchase, that is what matters most. Now, the fun begins - do the the mods!

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
If you are happy with the purchase, that is what matters most. Now, the fun begins - do the the mods!

yeh soon right now just fixing up old things cleaning etc. i was thinking of adding 4.10 gears its a 5 speed is that a good mode ?

PinkieT

Reaction score
yeh soon right now just fixing up old things cleaning etc. i was thinking of adding 4.10 gears its a 5 speed is that a good mode ?

Yep, should wake it up some. I went with 3.73s on my 5 speed, that is what was in the Cobra axle I am swapping in so it was an easy choice. 4.10 might be kinda steep if you do a lot of freeway driving, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online