should I change the plug or gap if I keep fouling plugs?

Werecow

Reaction score
Try some brake cleaner or carb cleaner? You could try some starting fluid too just be careful around hot parts, that may help find your leak. May be a dum question but do you have a vacuum gauge?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Try some brake cleaner or carb cleaner? You could try some starting fluid too just be careful around hot parts, that may help find your leak. May be a dum question but do you have a vacuum gauge?
If you mean in the car then yes, there are two actually independent of each other. If you mean some kind of off board gauge of some type then no.

Werecow

Reaction score
Is it reading a lower vacuum than it used to run before whatever happened to it? That would definitely isolate if it's a vacuum leak or something electrical or mechanical, unless I missed something and I'm completely off the ball here...

Werecow

Reaction score
Side thought, could it possibly be related to when you changed out the harness to the battery charging system? Possibly bumped another harness and unplugged something or even partially unplugged? I was going back thru your posts and saw that you changed it out and I know anything's possible...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is it reading a lower vacuum than it used to run before whatever happened to it? That would definitely isolate if it's a vacuum leak or something electrical or mechanical, unless I missed something and I'm completely off the ball here...

Now after removing the map and confirming the hose to it was clear by blowing through it, it seems to be reading just like it was before. There might have been a kink in it or something I didn't see but it seems like removing and then reinstalling it fixed it(fingers crossed)

Side thought, could it possibly be related to when you changed out the harness to the battery charging system? Possibly bumped another harness and unplugged something or even partially unplugged? I was going back thru your posts and saw that you changed it out and I know anything's possible...

The battery charger harness was something I have needed to do for a while. The batteries and all the work for it was in the trunk.

Today I went out and gave all the vac lines/hoes a once over, checked the clamps and gaskets and that all the nuts and bolts on the upper/lower were tight. I found one fitting for the pcv that was a little loose and after that it idled 100 rpm lower but I tried spraying some starter fluid around here/there and found no change in the idle. I didn't really want to but I adjusted the throttle stop screw down to see what happened and it dropped it down a little more, and it seemed like it ran better. I adjusted the throttle stop 2 more times and now its idleing at 875 rpms with a good afr. I am hoping to help a smoking buddy of mine tomorrow with his car and let him blow in my vac lines to make sure we do not find any problems but idunno. Is it possible its just burning more efficiently now and not needing as much air?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and now after looking at the data more its using less fuel than it use to. Back when it was running in oct with the engine at the same temp it was using 7 lbs/hr, now again at the same temp its using 5 lbs/hr. Idunno......

Werecow

Reaction score
It would have to be running a lot more efficiently since the fire is now actually in the chamber instead of having to travel so far to reach it. Imagine if you had non-fouler on every plug, that's essentially how it was running before, the spark was shrouded so bad it was having a hard time trying to burn the fuel they were getting, thus flooding out all the time. Now, you're getting a good burn it'll have to be a lot more efficient and use less fuel to accomplish the same thing.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That is what I have been thinking and it makes sense to me but I just wanted to confirm. Its starting up nice and crisp now. I am going to pick up a bottle of seafoam tonight and try some of it out tomorrow. I fouled out 3 sets of plugs pretty badly, the rest of the combustion chamber probably took a beating as well.

I am kinda looking forward to seeing the smoke from the side exhaust

Werecow

Reaction score
Good thinking! I'd say the chambers are pretty carboned up from the other plugs, it wouldn't hurt it, that and "blowing the soot out the pipes!!” once it's all warmed up will really do your pony a world of good, I'ma find a u-haul dolly for the back of my sport-trac an hook up my pony so's I can swing by an get my wires figured out one day!! LoL!!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Change the oil after you seafoam it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
does the seafoam mess with the oil that it needs to be changed or put some in the oil? It certainly doesn't have 3k miles since the last change, not much run time at all

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My concern is how rich it possibly ran before and nothing but idling. Gas can possibly wash out the cylinders and contaminate the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Ouch. How much fuel does it take to do that?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ouch. How much fuel does it take to do that?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I don’t know how much it took, but I know it was only from about 20 minutes (collectively) idling super rich. Then it got tuned and I drove it 2k miles and it gave up. Fuel doesn’t lubricate like oil does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online