Slapping on AFR 185 heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Believe me, nothing got under my skin.

Back to the topic at hand though, if you get a higher quality kit, higher quality wastegate and BOV, a high stall converter, you could easily be well within your goals, safely.

Again, everyone is just trying to help you. Don't take what Rich said as such an attack, rather prove him wrong.

RichV

Reaction score
Just had a discussion on the FB group, dude had a 5.0 Fox with a T-trim (yes this is a huge blower, dunno why someone would choose this on a stocker). Anyways, he said with 15psi he made just under 300hp. To me that is just ridiculous, you can make 300rwhp with a HCI combo, and that would be much cheaper. And to boot, 15psi with a T is like trying to inflate a balloon with a coffee stir straw, there is a point where increasing the psi to 50 will not make a difference, you're actually just heating up the air and making less power.

My bolt on 86 with a Procharger put around 400 to the tires with a GT40 intake and E7 heads. I put ported GT40 heads on it just before I sold it, new owner dyno'd it just under 500.

If you have the dough, get some good aluminum heads, maybe even think down the road what you could use on the 351. The HCI will bolt to the 351 as well, except the lower intake.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If that were the plan (to use on the 351) I'd go ahead and spend the money on Big Ass Heads lol

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wtf is going on in this thread?!

Man, you need to take a step back and relax. Everyone who has posted in this thread are very, VERY, knowledgeable.
Relax and absorb the information given.

Also, I vote we change [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] title of "sn95 supporting member" to "professional slap on modder" :roflbow:

RichV

Reaction score

Man, you need to take a step back and relax. Everyone who has posted in this thread are very, VERY, knowledgeable.

Also, I vote we change RichV title of "sn95 supporting member" to "professional slap on modder" :roflbow:

****er. :p

Addermk2

Reaction score
Also, I vote we change [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] title of "sn95 supporting member" to "professional slap on modder" :roflbow:

Eh... I think "King of Bolt-On's" or "Bolt-On Hero" would be better.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Just had a discussion on the FB group, dude had a 5.0 Fox with a T-trim (yes this is a huge blower, dunno why someone would choose this on a stocker). Anyways, he said with 15psi he made just under 300hp. To me that is just ridiculous, you can make 300rwhp with a HCI combo, and that would be much cheaper. And to boot, 15psi with a T is like trying to inflate a balloon with a coffee stir straw, there is a point where increasing the psi to 50 will not make a difference, you're actually just heating up the air and making less power.

My bolt on 86 with a Procharger put around 400 to the tires with a GT40 intake and E7 heads. I put ported GT40 heads on it just before I sold it, new owner dyno'd it just under 500.

If you have the dough, get some good aluminum heads, maybe even think down the road what you could use on the 351. The HCI will bolt to the 351 as well, except the lower intake.
Say I did buy the heads I intended to use on the 351 so I only have to make the purchase once and put them on the 302. It would probably be either 205 or 225 AFRs (it'll defiantly give me the rpm range I want), I have no clue what it would take to mount these on my car. Wouldn't something that big net me little gains? even with a matching cam and intake.
As far as intake, and please don't laugh (it's my pipe dream), I want the scarce roush intake for the 302, I was planning on just going with an adapter for the lower to bolt up(I haven't even seen one of these intakes online in the last two years! :/). Starting to see why I expect no less than 20 grand on just the engine when all said and done?
Edit: Oh, and that intake is why I'm not too concerned with buying more than a gt40 intake that'll keep its resell value. Hell, If I could find that intake I'd drop the 2 grand (more like 800-2000 depending on condition and what all is in the box) on it sooner than I would the heads and never look back.

I'm all for bigger heads, but yah know, don't wanna be stupid with it.
If that were the plan (to use on the 351) I'd go ahead and spend the money on Big Ass Heads lol
Up above my good sir! I'd like your opinion on that too

Also, I vote we change RichV title of "sn95 supporting member" to "professional slap on modder" :roflbow:
Liddle late to the party there, Orange. Lol.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what all goes into getting the 225 heads on a stock bottom end to be honest.

Addermk2

Reaction score
OP is going in about 7 different directions with his build questions.

TBH, I think we all should stop wasting our time here.

RichV

Reaction score
That's gonna be the tough choice, for the 351 you want big, for a 302 you're better off with the smaller.

I wonder if you could do a bigger head, with the use of higher compression pistons. Food for thought.

Or just upgrade on the cheap for the 302, then get your $ back when you sell parts to go 351.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
That's gonna be the tough choice, for the 351 you want big, for a 302 you're better off with the smaller.

I wonder if you could do a bigger head, with the use of higher compression pistons. Food for thought.

Or just upgrade on the cheap for the 302, then get your $ back when you sell parts to go 351.
Eh, if I can't have my cake and eat it too then upgrading on the cheap might be part of it, not really what I was wanting to do though.

I'll search around and see if I can't find any info on doing bigger heads and high comp pistons with a 302, maybe I'll call AFR if I can't find any good info. Lol. It really wouldn't bug me much doing pistons and larger heads and leaving the stock cam and top it off with a cheap-o gt40 intake as previously mentioned. My goals could be met by extracting speed elsewhere at that point.
*note: also the 351 swap is why I wanted to avoid buying the cam now
OP is going in about 7 different directions with his build questions.

TBH, I think we all should stop wasting our time here.
Uh? *dick mode commences*
So I ask for suggestions and information, right? Right. YOU suggest turbo, which isn't relevant, but instead of being a cock bag I accept it as a valid point for reaching my goals, however I'm partial also to not doing a turbo because my endgame build (think long term) requires a very large turbo which like Rich stated really has no business on a stock 302.
Someone suggested if I was planning on going 351 eventually I might as well go bigger heads, well great, that's an excellent suggestion and valid. So if YOU feel like your wasting your time, then move the **** on.

I sure couldn't find shit on mating 225s to a 302 especially in stock trim, so at least it's not a god damn discussion that has been beaten to death like "BRO can I just slap on a gt40 intake???!?!?!?!?1111111" So you're welcome for having something unique, after all this thread has one of the highest view counts in the last 10 active threads in this forum, so put a dick in it, dick. I could tell your whining ass exactly what I want as far as my long term build, but what would a god damn shopping list do anyone? Like, great, there it is, what's the question?

I've not gone in any direction other than the original, heads, and some nice ones at that, maybe you need to hop off that dope or my tip.
Let's see what we've covered since you need a break down, AFR 165s we covered as a direct bolt on without much work other than pushrods and rockers, we covered what it would take to put 185s on the 302 (go look freaking look, it's one god damn page back), and then when I mentioned that the 302 isn't where my heart will stay and as several members and even I myself feel that it doesn't make sense to buy parts a second time (such as buying 185s to later trade up for 225s, you know, the whole do it once mentality?) we entertained in this thread about head discussion (which is still very on topic) that as G36 suggestion I should look at bigger heads to consolidate purchases.

I'm not seeing where you're thinking I want to go in a billion directions, or whatever you said. I know what I want out of my car in the end, I just didn't think it was very viable or what it would involve (as stated previously, go read) to put 225s on the 302.
No, I'm not going to rebuild the bottom end of my 302 just to stroke it to a measly 347 (it ain't enough for what I want) or even a 363 on a pos stock block to limit myself to 500 horsepower. To me, that's really wasting my time.

I think I'm being hella logical here, If I have some fallacies in my build, please, ****ing elaborate and point it out instead of your waste of a space post.

*dick mode overloaded* *shutting down for servicing*

Addermk2

Reaction score
I could give you very valid and very useful information. but you honestly don't deserve it.

And please don't quote me anymore, I don't need any more notifications from this pile of shit thread.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dude, relax. You are getting overly defensive and then aggressive over minor comments.

Adder has more experience with pushrod fords than most anyone. He's blunt, cut and dry, and doesn't joke around much, but his advice is top notch.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Dude, relax. You are getting overly defensive and then aggressive over minor comments.

Adder has more experience with pushrod fords than most anyone. He's blunt, cut and dry, and doesn't joke around much, but his advice is top notch.
Look man, I've said it before, if you're not contributing and just trying to tear down the thread, don't post.

It makes me rip my hair out when I come across an interesting thread from 2002 and then 30 of the posts are people saying shit like "google more" or "oh that's not politically correct" and then nothing is accomplished.

Like anyone here, we all got something knowledgeable to say, but he sure wasn't saying it.

Check this thread out I was reading yesterday:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1382690-210-cc-heads-stock-bottom-end-302-a.html

Bunch of queer-o-s trying to get their laughs in detracting from the main topic of the thread, not that there isn't plenty of actual information in that thread for the OP. But this is an on going issue that really drives me up the wall. I shouldn't have to swim through a million posts of people not actually saying anything, like me right now, this very moment, with this post.

Plus as far as each person who replies as such, it's not like I have this mentality of "oh **** that person, they're useless," Adder could come back a month later in some other thread and offer some advice and I won't recall previously when he wasted my time, I would treat it as a new situation. Ja feel at all? probs not but that's how I choose to perceive it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I too need to say that you are a little worked up over very little. This is an easy going site but that is not too say that we do not have a couple of hard asses, I might be one of them. If you can't take the little bit of the rough-truth that has been dished out here you will not make it 5 mins on any other site. This is the interwebz and no matter what you say/do there is a 99.9% chance that someone will not like it or share your opinion as well as a couple of others that are not going to follow the idea of the post you have written. If that can't flow off your back and into the nothingness of the intewebz then you are not going to last 15 mins here.

You need to understand that a lot of us on here have had the tire-kickers coming online for probably about as long as you might have been alive asking "what will it do?!", "how much hp/tq will I get from this and what will my 1/4 mile time be?". We try our best to vet the people that are actually going forward with a project, is willing to listen as much as they are willing to talk/type, and understand that you would be lucky to walk into the shop of some of the people on here and ask the questions you ask and get anything less then a "beat it" response.

The biggest rule to remember is that if you want respect you have to give it so please do not understand what I typed above as a personal attack or an invitation for any response. I am just telling you like it is. Calm down and be willing to understand that like life the internet is not your friend.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your ultimate goal is to build a stroker 351, then why are you wasting time/money/effort to build the 302? A big cube 351 is going to take massive heads to match the displacement and heads that big will be an absolute waste on a 302. If you want a 351-based motor, then the best way to do it is to grab a 351 and an engine stand and build it on the side and work on getting your car ready for the power.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I too need to say that you are a little worked up over very little. This is an easy going site but that is not too say that we do not have a couple of hard asses, I might be one of them. If you can't take the little bit of the rough-truth that has been dished out here you will not make it 5 mins on any other site. This is the interwebz and no matter what you say/do there is a 99.9% chance that someone will not like it or share your opinion as well as a couple of others that are not going to follow the idea of the post you have written. If that can't flow off your back and into the nothingness of the intewebz then you are not going to last 15 mins here.

You need to understand that a lot of us on here have had the tire-kickers coming online for probably about as long as you might have been alive asking "what will it do?!", "how much hp/tq will I get from this and what will my 1/4 mile time be?". We try our best to vet the people that are actually going forward with a project, is willing to listen as much as they are willing to talk/type, and understand that you would be lucky to walk into the shop of some of the people on here and ask the questions you ask and get anything less then a "beat it" response.

The biggest rule to remember is that if you want respect you have to give it so please do not understand what I typed above as a personal attack or an invitation for any response. I am just telling you like it is. Calm down and be willing to understand that like life the internet is not your friend.
Lol I respect the work you do too much to beat on you like an old car, ttocs. I spent my early years over on stangnet, I did my time, and I've been here for like a year? I'm just not a frequent poster because tbh I don't have many questions I need to ask.
You're right, respect when given is received and I know how the typical feeler goes which is why I made reference to the typical "oh gt40 this" question that is asked often. I think you and the majority of the lot are more focused on the aspects of my use of language, 'hostility' etc etc. but you're all probably reading it in some angry tone which isn't how it was written. Perspective is everything.

The only thing preventing from "going forward" with my project is really my 73 camaro project which is a money sucker or my shitty integra DD. I get what you mean, but my points are still very valid, if they weren't we'd probably be talking about that.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
If your ultimate goal is to build a stroker 351, then why are you wasting time/money/effort to build the 302? A big cube 351 is going to take massive heads to match the displacement and heads that big will be an absolute waste on a 302. If you want a 351-based motor, then the best way to do it is to grab a 351 and an engine stand and build it on the side and work on getting your car ready for the power.
Well it's more personal than that as far as the right now. I have some buddys who bought their power and have 2013 5.0s and talk mad mess. That's where the time goal comes, not to mention that to beat nearly any car in my area only requires a docile 13 second car (with the exception of newer muscle cars but you should get what I mean).

I've already got a b-series block on a stand for my integra, I 'really' don't feel like having another block sit wrapped up in plastic while I build it, not to mention it'll be like 5 grand for it (aftermarket ftw), the parts are cheaper than the block so buying those first makes sense to me. Especially since some of the parts are more scarce and I don't mind taking the time to collect them up(think years). So I can't really 'grab' a 351 easy peasy, assembling that is where I will be doing it once.

Edit: forgot to mention that would be my THIRD block sitting on a stand as the 350 block I already am building is in the works. Why not build the 350? Because that's not what I want.
Double Edit: Getting the car ready for the power is really more about suspension right now, transmission is going to be one of the last things I worry about. I already have a set of DRs on (no real reason, just a really good deal). But I rather not be talking suspension right now since that's a whole other story for another day *cough* air ride *cough* shooting myself over the amount of money it's going to cost me *cough.*

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
house_stare.gif

95opal

Reaction score
OP for all the years you've spent on stangnet and all your research you should already know what it takes to hit a low 13 second pass. With that said any of that crap you throw a the 302 to hit 13s will be thrown in the garbage when you finally decide to get serious and build this monster your pipe dreaming about. So in that regards do us a favor and quite your *****ing and go back to pipe dreaming your waisting everyones time with your bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.