SN95 for AutoX?

low9sGT hahajk

Reaction score
I've been interested in AutoX lately and I was wondering how the SN95 performs in autox from guys who have/do race them. Strengths and weaknesses? Needed upgrades? Vids? GIVE ME SOMETHING haha.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well....our cars dont handle nearly as good as any of the jap. sports cars from what ive heard/ seen.

Our cars are heavy, the weight distributions off, and we dont have IRS. If your serious about autox you should probably do some weight reduction and get atleast a set of springs and good struts/shocks. You could go all out with coil overs and some sway bars. Theres full suspension kits but thier pricey.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
if you're serious about autocross, go to one. get the car tech'd, and have some fun. don't expect to be competitive, attend some HPDE's, listen to the more experienced drivers.

AND FOR GOD SAKE, DO NOT MODIFY YOUR CAR. run stock class, you'll struggle enough to keep up there. even the most basic mustang mods - catback, intake, headers - put you in a class where you REALLY cannot compete.

OP
OP
L

low9sGT hahajk

Reaction score
Yeah, they're not opening the autox back up until next spring :(. I use to think it looked kinda boring, but the more I see, the more I think it would be pretty fun. I'd like to get a couple of the basic, important things fixed and try it next spring. I don't know anything about the classes and what puts you where, but I'm going to research it later.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I want to go just for fun...I think my car handles good around like long sweeping turns...but nothing tight

96sohc

Reaction score
Honestly our year cars aren't that great for autocross, but if you're out there to have fun it shouldn't matter.
Where I am now with my car I'm running against STi's, 03/04 Cobras, etc...you get the drift; I'm not competitive at all.

I can't really think of any strengths at the moment except they're cheap, but I can name several weaknesses...

EDIT: I thought of one advantage...you can cram more tire under the car than a foxbody can.

- Suspension sucks
- brakes too small
- not enough chassis stiffness
- underpowered
- overweight

Most everything can be taken care of without braking the bank, however horrible suspension geometry, underpowered and overweight are going to cost you some coin to be competitive.

Corbic

Reaction score
As mentioned, the real issue is the class you fall into. You really need to read the rules and decide where you feel you will be most competitive. SCCA tries to set the classes so that you will compete against similar cars.

So yes, a Miata might hand you your ass, however he isn't competing with you so it really doesn't count. :santa_evil:

Next is the mods, each mod you do will put you in a higher class, if you don't do the mods right you might just screw your self. So really read up, head over to some of the handling sites and read up.

Grass Roots motorsports actually just picked the SN95 as one of their top favorite track/project cars along side the BMW E36, Miata, Civic/Integra (1992-1999), Sentra SE-R/ Puslar and the Nissan 240SX.

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
they can be made to be great track cars, but of course it means lots of money$$

check out griggsracing.com, steeda.com and maximummotorsports.com. they all have the essentials needed to make our cars into good track cars.

i have a lot of link to good suspension build-ups, but i'm out of town now and they are all saved on my home comp. do some searches. if your doing it just for fun and not competition then modify the car all you want.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
AutoX is a waste of time. If you are not competitive (car has to be modded with in a class, or else you are running again some serious shit), you will do 2-3 40-60 second runs. F*** that S***.

Road racing on the other hand is the hot ticket to some serious track time, for very little cash. A day at auto X cost roughtly 40 bucks to register. For that you will probably run 5 sessions max, so that's 40 bucks for 5 minutes or about so. Most of the HPDE events I've attended run about 6 sessions of 20 minutes each. The group I run with charges 120 dollars per day. That's 2 hours for 120 dollars. You really get some serious seat time to find out what your car behaves like at the limit and past. Just make sure that you will pass the tech inspection, because if your car fails to tech in because of missing battery strap, there is no refund, and any track time you miss is not made up (ask me how I know)

Onto the cars themselves. Honestly, they are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Yeah, they are a bit sloppy, nor do they really like to do slalom style cornering on stock shocks and springs, but the chassis has a lot of potential. Ford had Sir Jackie Stewart (3 time F1 GP winner) come in and tune handling, so it's not all that bad. I did several track days on completely stock suspension and everything else. The idea is to learn how your car behaves when it's still slow, so you could maximize the potential of every part you install after. I found my car to be very easy to drive and very predictable. Here are some things I would like to stress before heading out to any track days. Make sure the car stops. Use an agressive pad if you can. I've got 99+ twin piston calipers and Hawks HP+, and that combination works excellent if you keep it under 110mph. Make sure the allignment is good. Get some camber catser plates from Maximum Motorsports (4 bolt ones, don't go cheap on these). Slam caster all the way to the back (5 degrees works good for me) and about degree and a half of negative camber. Lastly, I'd get an oil cooler, to keep the motor happy. Ford Racing makes a cheap kit, that should work.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree, dodging cones can be fun - but the best bang for your buck and the most fun is road racing. IMHO. It will teach you real quick how hard it is to control a big car with 225 horsepower. :D

Paul.

Conechaser

Reaction score
low9sGT hahajk said:
I've been interested in AutoX lately and I was wondering how the SN95 performs in autox from guys who have/do race them. Strengths and weaknesses? Needed upgrades? Vids? GIVE ME SOMETHING haha.

I just picked up a 97 GT which will be my weekend warrior. I have been doing AutoX for over 20 years and track events for over 10 years. As what was posted before... do some events before you start modding your car. Learn what the sport is all about and what the classes are like... then modify to the class you want to run.

AutoX is a great way to have fun in your car without really abusing it like on a road course. It is also a very good way to improve your car control skills and excellent prep if you ever want to go play on a road course.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Did a track day last weekend. Ran the big track at the Willow Springs Raceway. This was my first time running the track, and by the end of the day I decided to have my friend time some of my laps. The car knocked off a 1:43.81, which is not bad considering that the setup is very stock/mild.

Car's got:

CAI/Headerback Catted Bassani (210whp)
H&R Race/Koni SA/MM Full Length/MM CC plates/HP+ pads/R58 with 275/40R17 AVON Tech M500 (street tire)

I think there is still some work to be done in Omega (turn 3 and 4), and I could probably gain another second through that session. Main straight only netted 115mph, but out of turn 8 I was doing 122.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online