SN95 rear brake caliper brackets.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying you have swapped to cobra brakes and kept the GT bracket?

I have done this.

I have the Bullitt brakes all the way around but I didn't have time to pull the axles and throw on the bigger mounting brackets and rotors in rear. I just installed the rear Bullitt calipers in place of the GT/V6 and popped a thicker pad in for the thinner stock size rotor. I never got around to swapping the bigger rear rotors and brackets on.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for closeups but don't have any of the rear but these are Bullitt/Cobra rear calipers with the 10" rear rotors.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry, coming in late to the party - I'm having trouble following along. In the original post, there were two caliper brackets pictured, one with a "crossbar" labeled as Cobra, and then another without that bar, labeled as not. What cars use that bracket that did not have the crossbar? This is the first time I'm seeing that.

As far as Cobra's calipers on the rear with Cobra discs or GT discs and or calipers and mounting brackets and such, my understanding is this: I swapped my 95 GT brakes to full Cobra on all 4 corners. On the rear, the calipers are essentially the same. The only difference is the larger disc, and thus Cobra caliper relocation bracket that must be used to push the caliper further away to accommodate the larger diameter.

The rear calipers themselves are the same. Maybe, I don't know for certain, but maybe the piston is a different size. But I don't think so. It was mentioned that the caliper bracket is hogged out for the Cobra disc - this isn't necessarily the case. The Cobra rear rotors are not *thicker* but rather larger in *diameter.* The thickness should be same. To my knowledge (and of course I could be wrong) on the difference of the rear Cobra calipers vs GT is the larger diameter rotor and thus Cobra mounting bracket that pushes the caliper out a little. The caliper itself (and caliper bracket) is interchangeable. (With the exception being a different piston size - which may be true, I'm not sure, I will have to research that).

DavidBoren

Reaction score
The answer to the OP's question is yes. Yes, you can use the cobra calipers, with the crossbar, on your GT rotors utilizing your GT caliper bracket. You will just use GT brake pads in the cobra calipers, on your GT brackets, with your GT rotors. All the OP wants to know is if the cobra calipers, with the crossbar, will work on an otherwise stock GT rear brake set-up, and the answer is yes.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Crap, you are right. I totally forgot they are vented. So it seems logical they would be thicker as well. I wonder about the bracket though. I wonder if they are different part numbers. I can see it being easy to "accidentally" put GT brackets on a Cobra caliper and if that would cause rubbing...

I had issues with my rear brakes - they would make a groaning/rubbing noise on hard turns. Even though I bought a Cobra kit, I now wonder if I did in fact end up with GT caliper brackets?

lutter94

Reaction score
Crap, you are right. I totally forgot they are vented. So it seems logical they would be thicker as well. I wonder about the bracket though. I wonder if they are different part numbers. I can see it being easy to "accidentally" put GT brackets on a Cobra caliper and if that would cause rubbing...

I had issues with my rear brakes - they would make a groaning/rubbing noise on hard turns. Even though I bought a Cobra kit, I now wonder if I did in fact end up with GT caliper brackets?

See original pic, if it has the cross bar = cobra, no cross bar = v6/gt.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
See original pic, if it has the cross bar = cobra, no cross bar = v6/gt.

Well shit. My bad fellas. It must be one of those days. I was totally scratching my head over this, so I ended up going to back to look at the pics when I did the swap. And what do you know, the GT/V6 didn't have the crossbar, just like you said. I guess I didn't pay attention - I always assumed the brackets had that crossbar. My mistake guys, sorry about that. So yes. The new ones did have the crossbar, so they were Cobra ones. And they still rubbed :(

Stock
DSCF0858.jpg

Cobra swapped on:

IMG_1365.jpg

Sorry guys, I usually am not this unobservant.

lutter94

Reaction score
You need cobra pads with the cobra rotor. They are thinner, to account for the thicker rotor. If that could be the case.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You need cobra pads with the cobra rotor. They are thinner, to account for the thicker rotor. If that could be the case.

Yah, I had Hawk HP+ Cobra pads, front and back. I think the issue was the area from a previous pic that was supposed to be hogged out was actually contacting the rotor when the car was getting laterally loaded from turns. I also suspect there was something wrong the calipers themselves. I have new calipers now for the rear, going to see if that changes anything. FWIW, part number on them is M-2320-CR.

lutter94

Reaction score
Yah, I had Hawk HP+ Cobra pads, front and back. I think the issue was the area from a previous pic that was supposed to be hogged out was actually contacting the rotor when the car was getting laterally loaded from turns. I also suspect there was something wrong the calipers themselves. I have new calipers now for the rear, going to see if that changes anything. FWIW, part number on them is M-2320-CR.

23677d1320598543-94-95-cobra-anti-moan-brackets-cobra_rear_bracket.jpg

did you install these?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
23677d1320598543-94-95-cobra-anti-moan-brackets-cobra_rear_bracket.jpg

did you install these?

I did. I bought the the rear Cobra brake kit - it had the new brackets that attached to the axle housing, new dust shields, and new moan brackets (and I think rotors as well, I don't recall). I've checked the moan brackets a number of times, they are cranked down tight.

I think I effed up the calipers when swapping out pads one time. I could make the noise stop by going around a turn and lightly pulling up on the e-brake to engage the rear calipers. I think the issue was that the caliper piston wasn't releasing completely. I bought a new set of calipers, but haven't installed them yet as the car is getting other work done. I first thought the rotor was contacting the caliper bracket, but I didn't really see any evidence of wear on the rotor or bracket. So fingers crossed the calipers were hosed.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Well today was a gorgeous day, and i decided that i would put on my rear cobra caliper brackets on the car.

Moment of truth. I wasnt 100% on the fitment and spacing on the two bolt hole on the caliper bracket so i thought heck we will try it any ways.

Stock rear caliper, stock bracket, 13" baer rotors,

old vs new

Well it fits

I tried to reuse my factory rear sliders, and caliper bolts but one of the other bolts had other ideas:

I then reassembled everything and started on the other side:

lutter94

Reaction score
Looks great! I had a caliper pin froze up on the rear pass side. Had to go 65 miles back to town to get another one saturday, otherwise it would have to wait another week till I went home again. Of course they didn't have cobra brackets on hand to do the swap now. I also bought new pin sets for both sides. Fronts turned out pretty decent.

11009989_10100468492150936_6406803423083208600_n.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
I used the FMS conversion rotors/brackets/anti-moan. And I modified the GT caliper brackets. Has been working fine, never noticed the 'crossbar' on the Cobra brackets. Good to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online