Some questions about camshaft replacement

delling3

Reaction score
So, I am preparing to do a camshaft swap on my '96 GT. I do not consider myself to be an imbecile mechanically speaking, but this will be the most complex project that I have yet to attempt. I have worked on the top ends of a couple of OHC motorcycle engines, including removal and replacement of camshafts, but the 4.6L V8 has a bit more to it.

I have the cams. I know I will need a valve cover gasket set, and a timing chain cover gasket set. The engine has about 96K miles on it - I am thinking I should probably just go ahead and replace the timing chain tensioners. What about the chains? My sense is that they should be fine?

Reading/rereading the Haynes manual, I see that I need a "Camshaft Positioning Tool" which is available at "most auto part stores". Is that a generic tool, or is it specific to the 4.6L engine? If I ask the guy at Autozone for the tool, is he going to have any clue what I am talking about?

I am also doing a swap to a PI intake. Will removal of the intake upfront make the camshaft swap easier?

I figure I am going to order all of the gaskets, chain tensioners, and PI intake from Modular Headshop. What am I missing?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
at least also do the chain guides. I did all of it on mine at about 90K, chains, guides, tensioners, springs, cams, etc.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
If you can get a kit for the timing chain go for it. I doubt the chains are bad, but since you're in there and all that.

I've swapped cams a few times in a 4V and never used any alignment tools.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get the cam tool off Ebay, comes as a kit, Get the Cloyes total timing kit from RockAuto for 200 AND it has the steel type chain guides. And get a good oil pump. The pump and rods are the weak parts on the 4.6

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, the Cloyes stuff is good to use? Seems to be a lot cheaper from Rock Auto than what I saw at Modular Headshop. They have the kit both with and without the sprockets. Do I need to replace the sprockets? Does replacing the oil pump require removing the oil pan, or just the timing covers? I have been told that I don't have to drop the pan to remove the timing covers - just the bolts that go into the front of the oil pan thru the timing cover?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online