Springs or Coilovers?

RyanCess

Reaction score
I'm on a budget because I'm still a child lol so I was wondering would springs be a good idea or are Coilovers just Gods gift to earth? I have no problem getting springs could get them pretty soon but coils would take a couple of moons.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a budget because I'm still a child lol so I was wondering would springs be a good idea or are Coilovers just Gods gift to earth? I have no problem getting springs could get them pretty soon but coils would take a couple of moons.

If you think down the line you'll want to upgrade to coilovers, I wouldn't bother getting springs. Just save up and do it right the first time. It'll save you money in the long run. Coilovers are adjustable and can be made for your specific application (racing, daily driving, etc). Springs are nice if you're on a budget and just want a moderate drop. But if you're on a budget, you can also just cut the stock springs and be done with it.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you're not willing to open your pockets or wait for coilovers, just get Springs and shocks/struts. Don't short cut and get cheap coilovers.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
+2 on getting coilovers. Youll spend about a grand on some good springs and good struts/shocks. for about 1200-1500 you can get a good set of coilovers.

eibach lowering springs $250
Bilstein HD shocks $145 each
Bilstein HD struts $225 each
MM caster/camber plates: $210

grand total: $1200. This combo will give you 1.5" drop, good shock rebound, it will keep the springs/shock absorber separate, less wheel rate than a coilover but more than stock, and will not give you adjustability.

eibach coilovers: $1500. Will lower your car up to 2.5", more wheel rate (better handling) and give you a combo made for each other. This kit also has the rear spring/shock separate.

MM coilover kit: $1706. Comes with CC plates, adjustability of 2.5"+, front and rear springs as "one piece", much more customizable in terms of spring rates and length. Good shocks. The price is with bilstein HD struts/shocks.

BC racing coilovers: $1000. comes with Camber plates, decent on street and track, 30way adjustability. can lower up to 2.5" i believe.

I was on the same page as you. I didnt want to spend extra money on coilovers, however, when i priced everything out, the price difference was minimal. No brainer, saved up my money and bought coilovers.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I wouldn't really say that going coilovers is "doing it right first time". It's all about what the user is looking to do. If you are trying to just lower the car on a small budget, no racing or serious performance in mind, I would not bother with coilovers. The only reason why I'm running coilovers, is because I've outgrown the stock location springs. I'm running fairly stiff springs on coilovers, and I like the fact that I can dial in balance by picking my own spring rates. Conventional location springs won't give you that kind of freedom. Having said all of that, I am a strong believer of not overkilling it when you don't have to. A strong off the shelf package will grip almost as good as a full suspension car. Good shocks, good springs, good sway bars, and CC plates for alignment is my recipe for a perfect performance street car.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
guess it depends if you just want to go 1.75'ish" lower and stay that way or have options lol.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Put it this way... I got lowering springs for over a year in my car now.. Just came across a great deal on front coilovers with bilsteins. I'll have $450 in the whole setup. Shop around for deals. Facebook mustang part pages have em all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online