Squeaky, squeally sound??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Backed out of my parking place, uphill… and somethings squeaking like a mofo! Loud and embarrassing like. I had the A/C on, so wondering if it’s the pulley? Tone of the squeak/screetch changed with speed.
Kind of vague, I know, but hard to describe. Any thoughts as to what this might be? It kind of settled down a bit towards the end of the 20-min drive home, but was still there faintly

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I assume it’s coming from the front of the engine? You can remove the belt and see if the noise goes away. Or squirt some water on the belt and see if it changes anything. It could be the belt or a pulley.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, warrior, will do tomorrow. Thanks!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Which one is the A/C pulley/compressor? I researched a diagram but it shows the upper driver side as the location. But that one has the power steering filler on it so I’m thinking that ain’t it!image.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The water trick worked! Instantly, actually. But that can’t be a permanent fix, can it?!

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
What’s the age on all the pullies? I have bought some cheap belts before and it was only a couple months before they started making noise.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the age on all the pullies? I have bought some cheap belts before and it was only a couple months before they started making noise.
Pulleys:
Alternator: new alternator.
PS pulley: has been in there since I’ve owned it (1.5 yrs), so no telling if it’s the OE or was replaced/rebuilt previously;
A/C compressor: I just had the A/C serviced. Wasn’t working. Turns out the system is fine, just needed refrigerant and a new inlet nozzle.

Belt: again, new with engine rebuild

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I would probably try a new belt. It’s never bad to have a back up belt, or you could try it and return it if it still squeals

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Worth a shot. I’ll swing by NAPA Monday.
Will they know what length I need?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
napa knows. Autozone will after you tell them its not a the year make model and confirm it is not 4x4 they might get it right.
LOL! I know, same thing at my local vatozone! I have to repeat the specs of the car to them at least twice! I think they’re trained to ask the same questions at given intervals. I’ll walk up to the counter and say, “ ‘95 Ford. Mustang. Cobra SVT. 5.0”. Coupe. Then I get:
“what year?” ‘95.
Cobra? Yeah, Cobra.
SVT? yep.
5.0? Should be the only displacement shown for a SVT!
After one iteration of repeating myself, I’m usually ready to spout off, “ did you hear a freakin thing I said?”!!! But they’re so consistently predictable with this same dialogue, it’s entertainment at this point!!

joemomma

Reaction score
Does it squeak with the AC off? Mine was doing something similar (more of a tap/knock), but only with the AC on. Turns out it was the tensioner pulley.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t seem to do it with A/C off, no. Water trick worked for now, but haven’t run it since so I don’t know (doubt) that was a permanent fix. I’m thinking tensioner pulley also. I replaced one. Must be time to do the other!

joemomma

Reaction score
Mine only has one tensioner, but I think there are two idlers. When I replaced the tensioner, the windings (or whatever is on the insides) were coming out. It was definitely shot!

Monday

Reaction score
One's a tensioner; other's an idler.

I've changed both. No squeeks.

You can always spray a little Silicone Lubricant around the back of both, into the bearings if you can - use the little red spray thingy what comes with it.

Before I changed both aforementioned pulleys, I sprayed both and quiet as a church til I changed them I think four or five months after that.

Three of the four cars in my yard right now have had, and one still does, a failing AC Clutch - you should check that too.

I'm just saying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online