Squishy Brakes

sbf_sn95

Reaction score
Just recently bought a 95 mustang gt with a 93 Cobra engine swap. I'm currently trying to get the car road ready but I'm not familiar with brake systems. the brakes are very squishy and I don't trust it on the road yet. my friends say if the lines needed to be bled, they would've blown a line by now (I've driven it about 5 miles so far). The previous owner said he replaced the master cylinder so it's possible that it could be installed wrong. my buddies also think that it boils down to the brake booster. Do any SN95 veterans have a different opinion?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
reach down to the bottom of the brake booster and see if ya feel rust/liquid. They are known to rust out from the bottom. After that bleeding is normally where people start.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Squishy (but working) brakes just means there's air trapped in the system. Some M/Cs have a bleeder nipple (my 96 Cobra original M/C had one). Bleed that port. You might as well do a full bleed on all calipers too because the fluid might not be in good shape either if it's taken on too much water since the last time it was flushed out. Doubt you have a leak, it would just be nothing but air in the system. You can test it by pumping the pedal and having someone check under the car for fluid spurting out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online