Srt4's?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
What do you guys think of them? Ive always liked them and have been looking at them for the past few days. I think it would be a lot more practical than the mustang and quite a bit faster. I know they arent for everyone and are still a neon but I like them for some reason. I know [MENTION=10558]duh09[/MENTION] owned one for a while what were your thoughts?
atstance.jpg

painted2.jpg

sdf.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No, they are terrible. And you get one, and end up buying white sunglasses, and being a douche. The stigma associated with SRT4's is the worst.

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
My problem is the mustang is my only car so while I'm up at school this winter I am having to borrow my dads truck. I don't want to do this next winter so I will be needing another car no matter what. I dont really want to get a cheap beater either and have insurance for 2 cars. I would really like a wrx but they are out of my price range for one with decent miles

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Working for mopar I have not had any exposure to working on one myself, but have had friends that have had them. They are big money pits if you really want to make some serious power. I do however often work on the turbo PT Cruisers. If it is nearly as cluttered and difficult to work on as the PT, I would not want it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I used to sell them and have beat the crap out of a bunch of them.

Not bad cars when they were newer but some of my customers were regulars in the shop getting warranty repairs done so I would imagine now that they are older you would really be busy with repairs. They weren't all that great in winter driving either.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I've seen some SRT4s in person.. They look good stanced, but other than that.. Interiors shitty, and its not cheap to make them fast. They're fwd, so a little better in the snow than a mustang but they're pretty light so... idk how much better they'd be.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Working for mopar I have not had any exposure to working on one myself, but have had friends that have had them. They are big money pits if you really want to make some serious power. I do however often work on the turbo PT Cruisers. If it is nearly as cluttered and difficult to work on as the PT, I would not want it.

The neons are much easier in terms of engine bay to work on then a PT

Its a Neon.. You looking to get rid of the stang?

Neon is a great car for a DD.

Working for mopar from 05-11, and owning a Neon that I paid 300 for.... they are great cars, they dont ride well, they dont have the best options but for their size, (interior and trunk space) its great. If you get an SRT4, yea youll pay for for the SRT specific parts or the turbo parts but if your accepting of that then fine.

My shit beater with 146k and a 3 speed was averaging 32 mpg on highway not having a tune up in over 85k ..... Ill take one all day long as long as its not rotted out..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
honestly not sure I have been more annoyed by any model car as much as the neon. Its an ugly ass shape/design and anytime I think about them I have to laugh about a friend who dated a girl with one. He said he wasn't worried until the car did NOT have a shake/shimmy/rattle as then he knew something was f'd up in it and he would get to fix it, again...

On top of that the SRT owners I think are the kid version of the asshole corvette owner myself. Dear got is NOT JUST A NEON ITS AN SRT!!!!!!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The neons are much easier in terms of engine bay to work on then a PT

Neon is a great car for a DD.

Working for mopar from 05-11, and owning a Neon that I paid 300 for.... they are great cars, they dont ride well, they dont have the best options but for their size, (interior and trunk space) its great. If you get an SRT4, yea youll pay for for the SRT specific parts or the turbo parts but if your accepting of that then fine.

My shit beater with 146k and a 3 speed was averaging 32 mpg on highway not having a tune up in over 85k ..... Ill take one all day long as long as its not rotted out..

Different strokes for different folks. Not my type of car.. On the other hand, gas mpg is good with em.. You either like it or don't lol. They had 3 speeds?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For a daily ride, I really liked my SRT4. If you can get past the cheap interior and having too much power at the front of the car, then you'll love it. I had a love/hate relationship with my particular car but if I had the extra money, I wouldn't hesitate to get another. It's not hard to get 300whp out of them, I beat mine CONSTANTLY for years and had minimal issues out of it all things considered, and got consistent mid-20's in mpg, no matter how I drove it, which is not bad considering how much fun the car is. I had entirely too much money wrapped up in my mind but if I could find another SRT for cheap enough, I would jump on it. Never drove the car too much in snow but the one time we got about a foot here in TN, it was a blast. Probably the fastest car I've owned and def got the best MPG out of anything I've had.

I would NOT get a 2003 model- they do not have the LSD and it's hard enough to get traction with it so I can't imagine it without. If you drive one, pay attention to 3rd gear, nearly everyone I was around had issues with 3rd gear going out or being impossible to get into unless you know the car. Mine did not have that issue but it was starting to come up around the time I got rid of it. Probably also avoid a sunroof car as they always seem to end up leaking and stripping the drive motor out.

But yeah, I had my car for about 3 years so if you have any questions about them, let me know. I'm a little rusty but I did a lot of tinkering with my car and they are fast, fun dailys.

178998_1545009225148_3018403_n.jpg

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i had an srt4. traded it in on a new chevy pickup. it def was fast. just looked strange to me.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also not sure why people are saying they're expensive to make fast. 300whp takes intake, exhaust, wastegate, and a handheld tuner.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. Not my type of car.. On the other hand, gas mpg is good with em.. You either like it or don't lol. They had 3 speeds?

Yep, look up in dealer connect under service tab, and under Tech Connect, look up an 02 Neon 2.0 then group 16 (auto trans) and look at trans spec, 3 speed auto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online