Srt4's?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, first gens auto's were 3 speeds as well. It sucks when the trans belts get all angry and such. They are much better with a manual.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've always digged the neon SRT4's they move out nicely ... When one comes around you in your Stang at the track trapping a solid 10mph then your npi shit box , you learn to respect them .... Not to mention I'm one of the few people on here that can make a npi shit box with gears and short throw run 13's

1bad9d5

Reaction score
at the end of the day... its still a NEON lol.. idk that's just my opinion... like the cobalt SS is still a cobalt and the sentra R is still a dam sentra... but everybody is different

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Meh. Love hate.

What about caliber?
Ive had a few friends with them, they're not bad! I think its the first year that are stupid quick.

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
The Caliber is pretty awesome but I believe they had a tad more power. I had a gf with a 3 speed first gen neon and I liked it for a commuter car though it screamed RPM on the highway, but I think thats far from an SRT model. I would never get rid of the Mustang for one due to the fact that even if it is faster than a npi, it cant be near as fun and sound as good. I am not saying I wouldnt try one out, I am just saying I would rather have the Mustang and a beater with 2 insurances than 1 SRT-4.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Caliber is pretty awesome but I believe they had a tad more power. I had a gf with a 3 speed first gen neon and I liked it for a commuter car though it screamed RPM on the highway, but I think thats far from an SRT model. I would never get rid of the Mustang for one due to the fact that even if it is faster than a npi, it cant be near as fun and sound as good. I am not saying I wouldnt try one out, I am just saying I would rather have the Mustang and a beater with 2 insurances than 1 SRT-4.

I am a diehard Mustang fan through and through but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you got behind the wheel of a SRT4. I know my car would have given most bolt-on PI's a good surprise and boost makes everything more fun. It's really hard to beat the sound of a turbo spooling and a nice BOV but on top of that, SRT4's sound surprisingly awesome. Very unique sound, not at all pingy and annoying like most 4 bangers.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm confused, are you wanting to replace your mustang or have a second car?

Why are people concerned with insuring two cars? I've had two cars for 3 years now, have driving insurance on one and fire/theft/vandalism (parking insurance) on the other. Whenever the season switches I call my insurance agent and tell her to switch. It costs me like an extra 100-200 per year to have parking insurance on one. I recommend having different plates for each car. No need to get insurance inspections since the car still has insurance on it while its parked for the season.

This last summer was the first time I have both cars driving at the same time (worked far away, needed a gas sipper) it cost me like $200 for a few months.

Caboose302

Reaction score
My problem is the mustang is my only car so while I'm up at school this winter I am having to borrow my dads truck. I don't want to do this next winter so I will be needing another car no matter what. I dont really want to get a cheap beater either and have insurance for 2 cars. I would really like a wrx but they are out of my price range for one with decent miles

My brother in law had one with a stage 2 package from the factory and had nothing but issues after awhile. And when they break they are not cheap. Also he had to park it in the winter because it sucked so bad. He ended up driving is IROC-Z because it was better in the winter, lol. I was looking at getting a Focus ST as a DD until I found out that pretty much all sport subcompacts suck in the snow. And like G36 said... Theres a horrible stigma attached to them. About as bad as a Civic, maybe even worse. But I will say if you have the pockets they can be quick.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
With good tires they have no issues in the snow , if I can get around in 4" of snow in my 5 liter on summer tires 18's to be exact , he clearly couldn't drive

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sport subcompacts bad in snow? My mazda3 doesnt have a ton of power but its great. Other than clearance I find it better than my truck. However I have actual winter tires on mind you.

Always surprises me what this thing can plow through. Haven't gotten stuck yet.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sport subcompacts bad in snow? My mazda3 doesnt have a ton of power but its great. Other than clearance I find it better than my truck. However I have actual winter tires on mind you.

Always surprises me what this thing can plow through. Haven't gotten stuck yet.

Exactly , when people say fwd suck in the snow ... It's very simple , they're too stupid and cheap to by winter tires . Oh I bet you get anywhere with mazda as long as ur not Plowing through 2 foot snow

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Meh. Love hate.

What about caliber?
Ive had a few friends with them, they're not bad! I think its the first year that are stupid quick.

The the original plan for for the caliber was to be a 350 hp car ...after the first few were built and tested the decided that it was FUUUCKING nuts and stepped it down. Driving a caliber I will say is very PT ish.... hatch, high seats, low floors.... not bad but not many out there and parts/quality was cheap. Struts/ball joints were weak, tie rod ends were weak on them.

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
I am a diehard Mustang fan through and through but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you got behind the wheel of a SRT4. I know my car would have given most bolt-on PI's a good surprise and boost makes everything more fun. It's really hard to beat the sound of a turbo spooling and a nice BOV but on top of that, SRT4's sound surprisingly awesome. Very unique sound, not at all pingy and annoying like most 4 bangers.

I can kind of imagine. I had a 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS 1 of 1000 that was the turbo/intercooled FWD car. They say it was the Godfather of tuners lol. Massive torque steer and was a blast with the blow off valve sounds.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I can kind of imagine. I had a 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS 1 of 1000 that was the turbo/intercooled FWD car. They say it was the Godfather of tuners lol. Massive torque steer and was a blast with the blow off valve sounds.

Just from a quick google search- the GLHS was rated at around 175hp/175lbft, SRT4 was rated at 230hp/250lbft and a lot of people consider that slightly underrated. Not a whole lot of torque steer with the SRT4, but you can imagine what another 50hp and 75lbft of torque would be like in a better chassis.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not a whole lot of torque steer with the SRT4, but you can imagine what another 50hp and 75lbft of torque would be like in a better chassis.

and in the same way another 50-75 hp in a better chassis then the srt = a nicely started mustang.

Not directed at you dug - I also vote that we make people wear a dunce hat in here that want to compare another modded car to a stock mustang. They can be fast if you put money into them but I don't think they have the same potential and again, its a neon no matter what three letter acronym you put after it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001