Started to buff my car.

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
started to buff my car today to get it ready for a car show on Saturday. we were having some trouble with M105, it would get the swirls out of the paint but it would leave behind REALLY fine swirls/marring. So i PM'ed Handz and he said to work the polish in ALOT, went back outside and tried what he said, and it worked a lot better. He told me to look up the Mike Brown Method M105. and i found out that hot/soft paint + to much product= marring, so there was my main problem. now when i go after it again later this week i will rub the 105 into the pad with my handz, spritz with water and then work the polish in a lot more than i was. now the pics.

BEFORE

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

AFTER

DSC_0288.jpg

i never knew there was metallic in my paint

you can kind of see the fine swirls

DSC_0289-1.jpg

50/50

DSC_0292-1.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

Look at all of that dust

DSC_0295.jpg

94 DropTop

Reaction score
What is your paint code? Im almost positive that you shouldnt have metallic in you paint.

OP
OP
mygreengt

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
What is your paint code? Im almost positive that you shouldnt have metallic in you paint.
UA, im pretty sure its original paint.

Matt94GT said:
so the last pic, is the left side untouched and the right after your 2nd go at it? looks good. I cant wait to do some paint correction on my stang.
correct

a306juGRnot

Reaction score
i need to learn how to do that!!! everytime i do mine it still leaves swirls. what kind of wax did you use???

Sinned83

Reaction score
Looks better. M105 is weird at first If you dont prime the pad it dries and dust too quick. Did you use the m205 in the above pics?

vibrantred5.0

Reaction score
Looks really good! keep it up......I really hope my P/c comes in tomorrow! i need to get going for the show too!

OP
OP
mygreengt

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
a306juGRnot said:
i need to learn how to do that!!! everytime i do mine it still leaves swirls. what kind of wax did you use???
its not the wax. if you want to get rid of swirls it is alot of work. but you will need a porter cable 7424xp or another orbital, polishes, sealant and wax.

djk83 said:
Looks better. M105 is weird at first If you dont prime the pad it dries and dust too quick. Did you use the m205 in the above pics?
how do you use 105? i dont even remember if there 205 was used in the pics or not.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I use a pad conditioner and prime the pad with 105 But I havnt had great results on black cars.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
ill put that in the paint computer at work and see if there is any metallic. Most ford blacks are just black, white and blue, maybe some purple.

Blind

Reaction score
what I found helped best when I use M105 is to work completely in the shade (I usually wait for an cloudy overcast, or foggy day) or if it's hot I'll throw up my easy up over the car.

I use the kevin brown method, with a Surbuf pad, and keep a water bottle in my off hand, you want the product to look like spilled milk on the area you're working to get the best results, so very wet!

After you're done working an area, use 91% IPA on a clean MF and wipe up the residue.

OP
OP
mygreengt

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
so it sounds like in order to get the best results with 105 you need:
- a spray bottle with water
-work in shade/garage
-prime the pad with the polish. (and water?)
-lots of patients

good list?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my advice

-Make sure you Spritz the pad with water to keep the M105 from drying up. M105 needs to be wet to keep it working longer

-Make sure you work the M105 enough to where it starts breaking down. The polish needs to break down to finish out correctly.

-Make sure your applying enough pressure to the P/C to ensure that you are cutting.

-When you are done with M105, You should have no swirls if you used it correctly. You might have some marring but thats OK because that is what the M205 is designed to clean up.

-the KBM REALLY gets stuff dusty and since it used alot of product so make sure you use IPA 1:1 to clean all the left over product off the paint easier.If you are rubbing too hard on the paint in will scratch.

-Dont work in direct sunlight and make sure the paint is cool to the touch.

OP
OP
mygreengt

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Here is my advice

-Make sure you Spritz the pad with water to keep the M105 from drying up. M105 needs to be wet to keep it working longer
wasnt doing that
-Make sure you work the M105 enough to where it starts breaking down. The polish needs to break down to finish out correctly.
did that after i talked with you
-Make sure your applying enough pressure to the P/C to ensure that you are cutting.
did that after i talked with you
-When you are done with M105, You should have no swirls if you used it correctly. You might have some marring but thats OK because that is what the M205 is designed to clean up.
after 205 it was looking hella good
-the KBM REALLY gets stuff dusty and since it used alot of product so make sure you use IPA 1:1 to clean all the left over product off the paint easier.If you are rubbing too hard on the paint in will scratch.
1 part ipa and 1 part water? or straight ipa?
-Dont work in direct sunlight and make sure the paint is cool to the touch.
i was working in the sun and paint was hot to the touch

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
- I bet the hot paint was F*cking up the polish bro.

-Dont be afraid to push hard on the porter cable. Make sure that that machine is on speed 6 and you are putting a good amount of pressure. I find myself pushing HARD for best results on speed 6.

- 1:1 mean 1 part alchy, 1 part water.

Make sure you CLEAN the pad often to get all the dried up polish out the pad so it doesnt begin to scratch the pad.

After you are done correcting, use a legit glaze and your PeePee will get hard when you see the paint Justin Beiber.

sleeper gt

Reaction score
This is a good thread since i have always done my own detailing by hand...

94 DropTop

Reaction score
You have no metallic in your paint. In Dupont it is just two different types of black and in the Nason line there is black, red and blue. NO metallics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online

No members online now.