Stealth Mare: from the begining

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
You're paint already looks good!

I have to say though, that beemer color looks right at home on there. I love it. I also think its kind of cool that it gives kind of a blue hue when the light hits it.

That's why I love it so much, blue is my favorite color and if I were lucky enough I would be driving a 98 BAB cobra, but they don't come up that often. My paint isn't bad for nearly 20 years old, but it definitely needs to be painted sometime in the future and carbon black is what I want to go with. Metallic colors look perfect on sn95s. I'm also not a huge fan of black which is kinda ironic since all 3 sn95s I've had in my life were black. It looks REAL good when it's clean and the paint is good, but as soon as it gets dirty forget about it.

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
Since I've looked at ferocious' build thread a little more in depth information have come to the conclusion that a custom front splitter and rear diffuser will be put in the works for the Stealth Mare. I've already drawn up ideas and cut up some pieces of cardboard to start. I will be able to make the rear diffuser WAY before the front splitter since I am going to need the shinoda splitter to make the front due to they will be used together

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Interesting. I like fords design on the 00 cobra R front splitter for its function. Its removable by key for poor quality roads, can be removed and applied easily if needed.

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
Interesting. I like fords design on the 00 cobra R front splitter for its function. Its removable by key for poor quality roads, can be removed and applied easily if needed.

The real 2kR cobra splitter that was made is super cool, I totally forgot about that which is bizarre to think I forgot that, but I guess that's essentially part of the functionality I want for my front splitter. I'll upload pictures of my designs later so you guys can see what I'm thinking as well as maybe some input on how to make it *cough* ferocious and b.mad *cough*

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You gotta tag them like........ [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19482]B.mad[/MENTION]

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
here is a picture (and theres not many out on the interweb) of a boss shinoda cobra with the cobra splitter

ChrissCar068.jpg

ChrissCar092.jpg

here are my designs for both front splitter (which will be incorporated with the boss spliter) and the rear diffuser

16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B2

16%2B-%2B3

16%2B-%2B4

16%2B-%2B5

it was kinda hard to describe/design the ends of the fins on paper so i just said screw it and used cardboard to make a rough design

and then i took more pictures of the forza car which also kinda put into perspective the length on the front splitter

20160503_183902.jpg

20160503_183912.jpg

20160503_183917.jpg

20160503_183928.jpg

20160503_184036.jpg

20160503_184051.jpg

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Do you want function or do you want looks? or both? Because there is a ton different ways to do so. Personally not a fan of the shinoda spoiler, but thats just me. I did the splitter designs a few different ways. everything something happened to it, i had to come up with different ways to design and mount. The first thing you gotta do is find out how to make that splitter leveled, because the bumper are not flat, which is the reason Ferocious used the mach 1 chin, and reason i just got a long piece of ABS and bolted it onto my bumper. I tried to make it even all around. but the fact is that the front of the splitter needs to have just the right downward angle to the rear, meaning the front is lower then the rear of the splitter.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you look at my build thread youll see the different designs ive gone through. Here's the current setup. I try to be as descriptive as possible but if you have specific questions let me know. I can help as much as i can.
3de5430c418c370b18eb9084dbbf1dcc.jpg

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
Do you want function or do you want looks? or both? Because there is a ton different ways to do so. Personally not a fan of the shinoda spoiler, but thats just me. I did the splitter designs a few different ways. everything something happened to it, i had to come up with different ways to design and mount. The first thing you gotta do is find out how to make that splitter leveled, because the bumper are not flat, which is the reason Ferocious used the mach 1 chin, and reason i just got a long piece of ABS and bolted it onto my bumper. I tried to make it even all around. but the fact is that the front of the splitter needs to have just the right downward angle to the rear, meaning the front is lower then the rear of the splitter.

yea i have looked at your thread a couple of times and i like how youve put it all together. i would like it to be functional since i tend to be more function over form, but i think if i can get it to be the way i want with the shinoda splitter it will be both form and function. the shinoda is flat bottom and im sure i can get creative with the bottom of the cobra bumper since i want the part of the splitter under the front bumper to mimic the bottom shape of the cobra bumper. without having the actual shinoda splitter it will be hard to completely know, yet i can start making the front splitter regardless and that can give me better direction

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Damit, I just deleted some pics of my buddies trackcar with a cobra shinoda spoiler with a splitter attached to it. I have a GT so I use the regular one on mine.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
yea i have looked at your thread a couple of times and i like how youve put it all together. i would like it to be functional since i tend to be more function over form, but i think if i can get it to be the way i want with the shinoda splitter it will be both form and function. the shinoda is flat bottom and im sure i can get creative with the bottom of the cobra bumper since i want the part of the splitter under the front bumper to mimic the bottom shape of the cobra bumper. without having the actual shinoda splitter it will be hard to completely know, yet i can start making the front splitter regardless and that can give me better direction
Well the shape of the splitter isnt going to affect function. Thats all preference. And if you like the shinoda chin, then by all means use it. Its another thing thats preference. Just so you know the chin is just that. Its a piece of plastic thats form in a way to reflect the chin of the bumper. Now as far as function. Thats going to be determined on how you mount it which will stabilize it. My first splitter was cut, so it didnt extend all the way past the bumper to the k-member. Second splitter stopped at the bumper but since it wasnt secured, when i kit 75 it would rattle the whole front end and make scary noises. So i ended up making some holes in the rear and zip tying the rear of the splitter to the sway bar. Also that splitter was bigger so the sides needed additional rods for support. I hit a puthole as i was leaving from a dead stop and it cracked my bumper and splitter. So too avoid that again i have no attachment to the bumper. Im working all its kinks as they come.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If i had to do it all over again, i would start was a larger piece of whatever material i am going to use. use all of the mounting that i was going to use, make sure it won't shift. So you would need to engineering it for those bending points, or use extremely stuff mounting rods or brackets. and do what this guy did. there you would have the perfect shape, and the mounting just right. All you will need to do is mess with angle to get it right. just my $0.02. And i am probably going to do that soon after my autocross date. The splitter i have now is all jacked up.
5e69d7f883c5f342e334f4d04dd225c4.jpg

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
OMG
YES
I actually saw a few pictures of it while it was white.
But onto the splitter I'm going to take off the bumper this upcoming Monday with my brother and I can take a look at possible mounting points, what would you suggest with all your experience?

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
check out this guy.

http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/home-made-splitter-air-dam-ducting-60291/

also check out these part numbers

Part# ABC 8011 FBC/CO
Part# ABC 801 FS CO

I do know about that bumper from abc, it's cool but I'm not a huge fan of how the splitter makes a lip over the "normal" part of the bumper. I like the more flush look which will be a bit more easily achievable with the shinoda since I don't have to mount the ends the way they're intended. However the shinoda front is fiberglass so that throws another curve ball

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I do know about that bumper from abc, it's cool but I'm not a huge fan of how the splitter makes a lip over the "normal" part of the bumper. I like the more flush look which will be a bit more easily achievable with the shinoda since I don't have to mount the ends the way they're intended. However the shinoda front is fiberglass so that throws another curve ball

well fiberglass isnt necessarily a bad thing. it depends on how you wanted to mount the splitter. fiberglass is pretty stiff so it will have a good based, however, if you wanted to mount the splitter to the chin, i can see how that can be a problem and causing it to crack. depends how you drill the glass and how good it was laid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online