Steering wheel shake after lowering? I cant figure it out.

Lee12609

Reaction score
you're right onyx, but he never really stated how low of a speed he is getting the vibration, i've never seen a balance problem cause any vibration at speeds under 35mph or so, bent wheel will, but tire balance shouldnt.

really need more info, or an update.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah one thing I'll say is unbalanced tires don't shake the wheel all the time, it usually comes and goes at certain speeds. You're probably right about not shaking under 35, I think it was about 35mph when I had the problem once. On my other car it happens around 55; so ghey.

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
I have yet to find the problem. (or another set of wheels i can put on to try out.) I dont think its a unbalanced wheel or broken band in one of the tires. cuz they have been changed a few times.

Spacers are 1/2 on both sides.
Rack is factory with 123K on it.

Im starting to think its a bent wheel but then it would do it all the time and not just most of the time

and sorry it took so long for me to respond. I kept forgetting to check it after this thread went dead for a few days

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
I took the car for a drive today to examine the shake better(i dont drive it often right now cuz still need a tune). and the shake is amost nonexistent at low speeds. I think the alignment may have helped there. but around 45 i start feeling it and it gets a little worse on my way to 65. and it has certain random times that it seems to not shake at all even doing anywhere from 45-85

OP
OP

94svtturbo

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Check wheels next.

Check to see if the rim itself is bent? Do i need to take them somewhere for that to happen? Or can i just pull each wheel and clean off the backside and take a good look at it?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I was hoping that you'd have a friend with a mustang or another car with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern where you can just mount a different set of wheels, and see if the problem persists.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
you might be able to make some kind of rig on the front because it can spin freely.
Get the front tire off the ground about 1".
Mount a pencil horizontally so the tip just 1/4" away from the wheel at the lip.
Slowly rotate the wheel and look for the gap to widen and close.
Also notice if the wheel might be out of round.
now just do the other 3.
good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FHCee

Members online