Stroking from 3.8L to 4.2L (1995 V6)

nightfire

Reaction score
sorry you spent so much money in the wrong places, good thing you have a 2v now, those are much more efficient

Horsepower is horsepower. I'm running close to 600rwhp with only $15K invested, including the car itself. There is no pre-11 V6 that can come close

*My 15k figure includes full suspension, fuel system, full driveline including a high stall TC.....and a lot more.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my car for $700. I could do a full motor build sub 3k. I can boost it for 2k, and be easily decimating your numbers. It'd have to be turbo, which isn't really my cup of tea, but it's possible.

Paint job, figure another 3k (since my car was in rough shape)

I've got a little more than 6 grand to dump into suspension and fuel system. I'll even figure in 2k for a built rear end, although my 9" is only about 1300.

So 4 to drop into fuel and suspension.

Easy as pie. I'm sorry, it's just an argument that's dumb to have.

baddbradd

Reaction score
LOL

Do you honestly believe that?

I had an 01 V6 that I dumped shitloads of money into. The 3.8 (or any pre-11) V6 is a complete POS.

Lame...........Why would anyone waste time with a 4.6 when you can stroke your 351 to a 408"? Been there, done that....I'll hot-rod my lawn mower

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
Guys, I've got some bad news. I've decided to not swap in the 4.2L

It's easier for me to get the P&P'd heads, intake, gaskets, forged internals, etc. I want for my build if I stick with the 3.8L.

I plan on turbocharging it, because as someone who has been driving a Cummins for the past year now, I love hitting boost and hearing it spool. Anyone have any experience with TMATurbo.com?

I feel kind of guilty about this, because so many people rushed to the scene when I said I wanted to swap in a 4.2L. I already have my 3.8 that I can do a split port swap through getting the P&P'd Intakes and Heads from Morana V6 Racing.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to waste your guys' time. You've all been a big help, and hopefully you guys can keep being a the big help you've been, not only for me, but for anyone.

Anyone who posts about their SN95 on reddit.com/r/mustang, I urge them to come here because on that subreddit they're all about "Keep the sixxers stock, save for a GT".

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don't sweat it dude! Always happy to help if I can, even if its not used! I'm sure there were many other readers that found it helpful!

As for turbo, I'm no help! Please keep us up to date with the project! Would love to see a good turbo build! Good luck!

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Ohhhhh lightfire I see you haven't changed since the days of Stangnet. Once a troll always a troll I guess.

That said, don't sweat it man do what you wanna do and enjoy it. A forged and bewsted 3.8 would be a blast to drive!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No worries man! Just be careful with Morana. If I remember correctly they have had some big quality issues.

Perhaps [MENTION=14887]LilRoush[/MENTION] can elaborate some?

LilRoush

Reaction score
If you want to boost your 3.8L, I strongly suggest using what you have to the max and only buy what you need. Have a machine shop port/polish your current heads, lower and upper intake. Make sure your bottom end is still in good shape and then boost it. You'll have a lot of fun with a mid 300 hp car that is very street friendly and not at risk of breaking anything.

No worries man! Just be careful with Morana. If I remember correctly they have had some big quality issues.

Perhaps LilRoush can elaborate some?

Yeah, avoid Morana like the plague.
Horsepower is horsepower. I'm running close to 600rwhp with only $15K invested, including the car itself. There is no pre-11 V6 that can come close

*My 15k figure includes full suspension, fuel system, full driveline including a high stall TC.....and a lot more.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahha....deep breath.....Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... And you think the V6 is a waste of money? Just a heads up, my waste of V6 made that power on less than your budget. I bet it had a better front to rear weight ratio than your nose heavy V8.

Hahahahaha....sorry, there was a little left in there. He said 'No pre-11 V6 can come close'...Hahaha... Fool didn't know it's been happing for over a decade. Poor fella.

Sorry. I'm done now.

Haha..

Ok, now.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to boost your 3.8L, I strongly suggest using what you have to the max and only buy what you need. Have a machine shop port/polish your current heads, lower and upper intake. Make sure your bottom end is still in good shape and then boost it. You'll have a lot of fun with a mid 300 hp car that is very street friendly and not at risk of breaking anything.

Yeah, avoid Morana like the plague.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahha....deep breath.....Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... And you think the V6 is a waste of money? Just a heads up, my waste of V6 made that power on less than your budget. I bet it had a better front to rear weight ratio than your nose heavy V8.

Hahahahaha....sorry, there was a little left in there. He said 'No pre-11 V6 can come close'...Hahaha... Fool didn't know it's been happing for over a decade. Poor fella.

Sorry. I'm done now.

Haha..

Ok, now.

Thank you Matt :)

PonyGlued

Reaction score
It's interesting to me that my owners manual list's 190 hp @ 5250 with 220lb @ 2750...all the other references' out there are at 150hp @ 4000 and 215lb @ 2750
I'm not sure why the owners manual would use the higher RPM example

PonyGlued

Reaction score
hmm, wonder if you have a split port manual

no I think they did that as a 'near the redline reminder :grin:

98hp_zpsde7a6dda.jpg

decipha

Reaction score
Your best bet would be to just swap a split port 4.2

by the time you factor in machining youll be pretty deep in price wise for not much hp gain

I have 9 supercoupes and have done the 4.2 stroker many times, take it from me going from a 3.8 to a 4.2 with nothing else changing is pretty depressing

The split port with a turbo is where its at, a little t70 with no wastegate makes for good times

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
Let's hear it for circles! My 'stang is STILL in the body shop because we've been getting snowstorm after snowstorm and I'm right below the Mason-Dixon line which means tons of people wrecking their cars due to being Southerners.

He says it has frame damage (bent frame). To get it back to a place where it'd be pretty, it'd be frame repair, new body panels, and paint whereas all of his other jobs are just getting replacement body panels, painting them, and re-installing. So, basically he is doing all the small jobs first.

So, I'm getting it back with new body panels painted a new shade of body paint called "Matte Primer Gray".

During my hiatus, I toyed with the idea of a GT Conversion using a built 347 from Coast High Performance, but the cost was getting up there, and I do want a turbo build. A turbocharged 347 from Coast High would probably give me too much horsepower to drive it daily seeing as how the engine is rated at 465Hp w/o accessories at the flywheel.

Then! I toyed with the idea of scrapping it, and using the money towards a 4.6L or using it towards a 2.5L 5-cylinder VW Rabbit to do 2.5T Build.

So, seeing as how I have to drive the truck again, (1997 Cummins 12 Valve--stock) and it's been cold out, (cold air plus front mount intercooler = pure bliss) I really got a feel for hitting boost and I am addicted to turbo whistle.

That being said, it's time for a Mustang 4.2T build.

I'm planning on getting a turbo kit from TMATurbo.com seeing as how they're the only one I could find. Morana got shot down, and TMATurbo looks pretty unprofessional and amateur, but I mean... Turbo kits are turbo kits.

punched281

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project. I am in for the ride. I almost did a kit from TMA. I had someone from a forum make the hot pipes. He did do them, and on time ish. But the welds looked like shit, and wish I would have just made them myself. By the way the welds looked, I could have learned and they would have came out better.

From what I can remember tma had some pretty good looking kits. And, I would do a good cam. When I cammed my trubod v6, it turned in to a whole different animal. So if I were to do it again, I would make the pipes myself, get a good cam and make sure you don't cheap out on valve train. These v6 valves aren't the strongest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online