Stroking from 3.8L to 4.2L (1995 V6)

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
Alright... So, here's the build plan so far.

Used 4.2L

Port heads and intake

Comp Cams 268HR112 Cam and all of its recommended components (see bottom of this page http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=836&sb=2)

SLP Loudmouth Catback (because I'm obnoxious)

Hi-Flow Cats (does it really matter what brand?!)

Pacesetter H-pipe Adapter thingy that helps me connect up to GT Exhaust systems

Will I be able to reuse my cold air intake? I was also thinking about throwing in this chip http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4bank-custom-9498v6.html, any issues?

Would new shorty headers make any sense, or is what everyone say true, that they don't do anything except look shiny?

I'm swapping in a 8.8" Rear with 4.10's and putting on this suspension. http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-prosystem-coupe-9404v6.html

And finally... FORCED INDUCTION. So yes, M112, unless someone can vouch for a better alternative to the M112.

What do you guys think?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend Mac catback with Pacesetter H-pipe. As much as you want to go loud, with v6s its important to find a balance so you can find the right note. Typically v6 mustangs sound awful, especially when people try to go too loud. But to each their own!

I think you should be able to reuse your cold air?

You will need to tune the car. Do not get that tuner from AM!
If you want to do a remote tune, N/A I'd go with VMP. You will need to buy a handheld SCT I believe. VMP remote tuning worked for me N/A, but not for my blower setup. I'd strongly recommend dyno tuning. But again, vmp will be ok for n/a. (FIY, the v6s had OBDII)

I wouldnt bother with the shorty headers. Just paint yours with high temp header paint.

Yes on the 8.8 swap. Id recommend 373s, but 410 is a common option too. For the 8.8 you can use a fox diff and you just use the sn95 axles, IIRC. I have a fox diff in mine.

I'm not sure about that suspension package, but i love my eibach pro springs and eibach is a pretty good brand.

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
I love this forum! I almost lost all hope in my 3.8 ever being cool, then WHAM. I come here and learn about its potential.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
Now that we got the how-to-swap figured out... I'm confused as to how the heck I'm going to get forged pistons and stuff for the 4.2 because the stock components would deteriorate while being Supercharged.

Super Six is really confusing me.

They have forged internals for the Long-Rod 4.3, Long-Rod 3.8, and the Hi-Po 3.8... which one would I use for the 4.2?

Otherwise, I could just order the pistons from them, but where do I get the rest of the forged components?

Should I go ahead and bore the 4.2 to 4.3?

What compression ratio do you recommend?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, how crazy do you want to get with everything?

I'm running stock bottom end at 9psi. I know you can get away with much more, but I wouldnt recommend it. My whole setup is fairly on the safe side of things. I'm actually wanting (eventually) to turn my boost down to drop the temp, resulting in more power.

I'm not sure which internals you'd for sure use. I know they have forged internals for it, I'd contact them about it.
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about boring and corresponding cr, monkey has more experience with that can of worms.

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
Not too terribly crazy. I mean, if it's doable, I never said anything. Expect a lot of thread necromancy with me though, guys. Hahaha.

I'm pretty much just going to get a used 4.2L, gut it, put in the valvetrain components I wanted, then replace the upper intake with a M112 Adapter, P&P Intake and Heads.

And, I've talked myself out of SLP Loudmouths. I think I'm going to go Orange's route with the MAC Catback, because it just sounds that good.

I'm probably going to have long tube headers, and then have an exhaust shop custom fab a catted h-pipe to bolt up to it.

It sounds like a giant money pit, but... it'll be worth it in the end. It's going to be a fun car.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The exhaust setup you mentioned is exactly what I have.

Per your other question. If you really want to make some power, or be on the safe side entirely, get the long rod 4.3 kit. You don't know which pistons you will need until you get machine work done. See how far the block needs to be bored out, then you order pistons as such

nightfire

Reaction score
Jesus, I still fail to understand why anyone with a pre-'11 V6 will waste major money on their car.

Put the money towards your children's college fund

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Jesus, I still fail to understand why anyone with a pre-'11 V6 will waste major money on their car.

Put the money towards your children's college fund

This sort of ignorant posting will not be tolerated. You have been warned. If it's not your car, don't worry about it.

And, for that matter.

You have two cars, equal year, equal in every single way, only difference one is a V8, one is a V6. 9/10 times it's cheaper to make the V6 worlds faster for the cost difference.

The 1/10 only exists if you get some miraculous deal on the GT.

The main advantage to the V8 is sound, and we can all agree on that.

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
I'm just going to ignore the ignorance.

And guys, I know it's annoying seeing me change my mind EVERY SINGLE TIME I POST A NEW REPLY, but, meh, I'm young and impulsive.

Finalized exhaust set-up is Mac LT Headers, and having it divorced, no X or H pipe, but having cats welded in to be compliant with state laws and either American Thunder Resonators or MAC Resonators.

Also, I'm getting this cam http://www.compperformancegroupstor...t_Code=44-703-9&Category_Code=FORD466Cams3842

I may skip the Forced Induction for now, because I know it'll always be an option.

I'm ready for this build, but, I'm still waiting on the quote from the body shop. To be honest, I don't even know if the thing will even be fixable. :embarrassed:

If that's the case, don't worry, there will be a replacement. :wink:

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure they changed the cam that I have and made that one. Mildly shorter duration but same lift. It's a good streetable cam.

I'm not a fan of how divorced sounds personally, but it might be ok like that lol

OP
OP
S

StoicPanaphobic

Reaction score
I heard someone else with that same cam and divorced exhaust, and it had a nice note. I loved it!

nightfire

Reaction score
This sort of ignorant posting will not be tolerated. You have been warned. If it's not your car, don't worry about it.

And, for that matter.

You have two cars, equal year, equal in every single way, only difference one is a V8, one is a V6. 9/10 times it's cheaper to make the V6 worlds faster for the cost difference.

The 1/10 only exists if you get some miraculous deal on the GT.

The main advantage to the V8 is sound, and we can all agree on that.

LOL

Do you honestly believe that?

I had an 01 V6 that I dumped shitloads of money into. The 3.8 (or any pre-11) V6 is a complete POS.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
LOL

Do you honestly believe that?

I had an 01 V6 that I dumped shitloads of money into. The 3.8 (or any pre-11) V6 is a complete POS.

I know that for a fact. No one has had issues with blocks splitting or issues with their cranks. The only issues internally are head gaskets (at roughly 180k) and rods and pistons that may as well be made out of glass, but that's how it is with any stock motor.

You could have a car boosted and tuned and sitting at 400 horse reliably for less than the cost difference. It's been done time and time again.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Either way. Its not a waste of money if you enjoy doing it. No different than anything else.
Telling someone how to enjoy their money is plain stupid and ignorant. Why do you care? Its not coming out of your pocket. If you have nothing of actually use to say, please continue on your way by.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online