suspension upgrades

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 94 gt and I am planning on rebuilding my suspension. I am doing all of the normal stuff like upgrading the bushing and ball joints ect. Now I am buying bilstein hd shocks, H&R race springs, mm hd lower rear control arms, oem uppers, mm sub frame connectors, mm cc plates. Is there any other recommendations for upgrades to the suspension. This is a street car that I am planning on some auto cross in the future. The car will mainly be a daily though. Please feel free to post pics of your setup.

Thanks for the help,

Kris

RichV

Reaction score
I think you have them all covered.

I would consider a g-load brace and a PHB if you wanna go all out. Replace the FCA bushings and the rack bushings if they are not on the list. Other things that make a difference are the motor mounts and trans mount, go with prothane, not solid for a driver.

And, of course, some sticky tires. All the suspension in the world won't do you any good without good tires.

OP
OP
L

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
I think you have them all covered.

I would consider a g-load brace and a PHB if you wanna go all out. Replace the FCA bushings and the rack bushings if they are not on the list. Other things that make a difference are the motor mounts and trans mount, go with prothane, not solid for a driver.

And, of course, some sticky tires. All the suspension in the world won't do you any good without good tires.
Thanks RichV I already replaced the motor and trans mounts although they were not poly mounts. I will replace those with poly mounts when needed though. Front control arms are on the list and the rack busings are being replaced with the rack. Tires are coming as well but this is going to burn my wallet to the ground so they will have to wait.

Kris

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not intending to hijack this thread but am I the only one that opens suspension threads, sees that RichV has posted, and just thinks "oh, it's taken care of."

familytruckster

Reaction score
Sounds like you should just buy the MM road and track grip box. My car has that, it rides great on the street, handles quite well. I drive 1600 miles a week on it, and I still find it comfy.

RichV

Reaction score
Should I upgrade the sway bars?

Kris

Not a bad upgrade either. If you don't have the coin for some aftermarkets, just swapping to a Cobra rear bar and a GT front bar helps understeer a good deal.

Auto manufacturers would much rather be a little heavy in the understeer department, than oversteer. That's why these darn things push so much.

OP
OP
L

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
I looked at the road and track and then priced what I wanted and it came out cheaper. I didnt get the braces or iso but got the PHB setup instead.

Kris

RichV

Reaction score
Also take note of the increased spring rate for a PHB, I ended up going to a 415lb spring out back. Probably a little stiff, and it affects the sway bar on some tracks too. Some tracks don't want one, while other still do.

OP
OP
L

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
Thanks richv for the info, I dont want the car to stiff though since it is going to be mainly a street car. If I do get the PHB that means I can remove my upper control arms right?

Kris

RichV

Reaction score
You would need a Torque Arm to do it right.

You should be able to get away with a softer spring outback for a street friendly setup.

OP
OP
L

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
From what I have heard the race springs are stiff but you dont think they are over kill for the street do you?

Kris

RichV

Reaction score
MM has 2 springs for the PHB setup, I'd probably run the softer on a street car. If you can do the stiffer, go for it. I've never run #71 on roads with the PHB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell