Svo supercharger

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
My last car made 410rwhp on a SVO w/ a 6psi pulley. Granted it was a PI motor w/ crower stage 2 S/C cams and full exhaust.

It also was a motor killer. I went through 2 motors in about a year. My guess was the lack of an intercooler was the problem as well as the SVO supplied computer tune (during random weather events) it would run like CRAP for a day or two, then run perfectly fine for weeks, then the exact opposite weather it ran bad in the last time, it would run like crap again. It was odd and frustrating. A dyno tune made it better, but it still did it occassionally.

Very interesting...what exactly happen to the motor? did it melt down a piston or throw a rod? I'm very surprised since you have 6psi pulley and S/C cams on top of that to help alleviate some stress. I guess the tune is to blame.....

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Very interesting...what exactly happen to the motor? did it melt down a piston or throw a rod? I'm very surprised since you have 6psi pulley and S/C cams on top of that to help alleviate some stress. I guess the tune is to blame.....

It banana'd the #6 connecting rod. It did that twice on two different motors. One with the factory svo computer tune, the second with a dyno tune.

Not exactly sure Why it did it. That car had some weird problems in that at random times it would just run like crap for a day? Then be perfectly fine the next. It was never consisten when it was running bad in weather conditions. The only thing i could think of was that it was a glitch in the svo computer

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
It banana'd the #6 connecting rod. It did that twice on two different motors. One with the factory svo computer tune, the second with a dyno tune.

Not exactly sure Why it did it. That car had some weird problems in that at random times it would just run like crap for a day? Then be perfectly fine the next. It was never consisten when it was running bad in weather conditions. The only thing i could think of was that it was a glitch in the svo computer

This makes me sad lol. I was going to do something similiar with future setup but with better flowing heads. I can't imagine doing all that work and blowing out the bottom end. I thought these engines can handle 450rwhp.... :(

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This makes me sad lol. I was going to do something similiar with future setup but with better flowing heads. I can't imagine doing all that work and blowing out the bottom end. I thought these engines can handle 450rwhp.... :(

You just don't use the SVO computer that comes with it. Even adding a dyno tune to the supplied SVO computer has been difficult for some of the best in the biz back in the day. You just install the blower and have your computer tuned. I wouldn't run north of 400rwhp on stock rods with a PD blower or turbo. There is a lot of pressure right off idle with these setups vs a votech or procharger etc.

Boss rods = cheap insurance.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
You just don't use the SVO computer that comes with it. Even adding a dyno tune to the supplied SVO computer has been difficult for some of the best in the biz back in the day. You just install the blower and have your computer tuned. I wouldn't run north of 400rwhp on stock rods with a PD blower or turbo. There is a lot of pressure right off idle with these setups vs a votech or procharger etc.

Boss rods = cheap insurance.

+1

the night it banana'd it was about 65* and 85-95* humidity. I blipped the throttle to downshift for s redlight and it instantly started knocking. I figured i just spun a rod bearing, but it literally turned the connecting rod into a banana. I'll have to see if i can find the photo, it was pretty impressive!

the car did spend about 3 hours on the dyno getting tuned. The tuner has been in business a LONG time and is well known, he even was even impressed by the little blowers performance. It did give him so weird issues (i forget what) during the tuning that he hadnt seen very often that made him wonder if there was actually a setup problem.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a few tuners tell me they would tweak the SVO computer and a few days later the changes they made would be gone or only half the parameters stayed adjusted causing major issues.

When I picked mine up I ordered an SCT Xcal 2 and my SVO computer is still in bubble wrap.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
+1

the night it banana'd it was about 65* and 85-95* humidity. I blipped the throttle to downshift for s redlight and it instantly started knocking. I figured i just spun a rod bearing, but it literally turned the connecting rod into a banana. I'll have to see if i can find the photo, it was pretty impressive!

the car did spend about 3 hours on the dyno getting tuned. The tuner has been in business a LONG time and is well known, he even was even impressed by the little blowers performance. It did give him so weird issues (i forget what) during the tuning that he hadnt seen very often that made him wonder if there was actually a setup problem.

Hey atleast you didn't blow a hole threw the block but your story is quite fascinating.

I had a few tuners tell me they would tweak the SVO computer and a few days later the changes they made would be gone or only half the parameters stayed adjusted causing major issues.

When I picked mine up I ordered an SCT Xcal 2 and my SVO computer is still in bubble wrap.

Yeah I will definitely use my stock ecu, plus the car is a automatic and would be less abuse on the drive-train. Boss rods ftw! You can literally just swap them in right?

real98roush

Reaction score
Complete kit for sale on mod motor mustangs FB classifieds page for $1900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
ROOT BEER!!! Thats the color I sprayed painted my car! .....I dont know why I didnt think of root beer as a color....

You a genius DropTopPony

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ROOT BEER!!! Thats the color I sprayed painted my car! .....I dont know why I didnt think of root beer as a color....

You a genius DropTopPony

Genius... I am just going to soak that in for a while.

That is nothing like the names my wife calls me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online