Swapped dashes, now it won't start

PinkieT

Reaction score
Changed out tan/black dash for black. Re-used the same instrument cluster that was on the car. Wanted to test it before I put the steering wheel, seat, kick panels, and steering wheel back on. Seat and console are still out, too. OK, lights, radio, heater fan all work, instrument cluster gauges work, but when I try and start the beast it cranks but won't fire. I saw the Theft light flashing when I was cranking it. Is it supposed to flash when you start your car? Do I have to plug in the steering wheel, console, and/or driver seat before it will fire? What am I missing????

I had only one plug that was different between the dashes. Same four color coded wires on a white plug under the steering wheel except my car has four wires/four wire plug, the new dash as the same wires but a six wire plug with two blanks. I cut the old plug off, pigtailed it, and cut the new plug off, and connected the wires as per the color code. No idea what the four wires are for, but don't think that would make a difference...

I promised my wife she would be driving her car by the weekend - LAST weekend. Help!!!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I do not have pats but I thought it was supposed to turn off flashing while starting. The pats system starts at the key, and there is a wire coil that goes around the ignition cylinder. Make sure it is either in place or that its not possibly related to the wires you had to swap.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
What years the car ? You tripped the pats . If you pull the cluster and swapped it or unhooked it at any point it can trip it . Dealt with it a few times in my 96's over the years

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
What years the car ? You tripped the pats . If you pull the cluster and swapped it or unhooked it at any point it can trip it . Dealt with it a few times in my 96's over the years

1998. Yes, unplugged the cluster when I swapped the dash. Any hints on how to reset it?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Tried every way to reset it I could find on line. One site said you could program a blank unprogrammed key yourself in about an hour, but a pair of blank keys would be $150 at least, and still may not work. The local dealer said tow it in, $110 diagnosis fee, then maybe a few hours saying I probably screwed up the wiring. Called several traveling locksmiths, only one would touch it and he wanted $60 just to show up and couldn't come out until after the weekend.

I went to my local independent garage where I do a lot of business. My buddy the head mechanic did some research and called me back, asked me if I had found the PATS module. Turns out it is attached to the fuse box, which is attached to the dash I took out of the car. I was trying to start the car with my original key but a different module. One bolt holds the module to the fuse box bracket. Five minutes later I had them swapped and - wait for it - started the car!. I'm frustrated that I hadn't thought of looking up where the module was and wasted a lot of time, but I gotta say the sound of those Flowmasters burbling in the garage was one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard. Dropped a six pack of my buddy's favorite adult beverages at the shop!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out! I'm in the process of swapping to black interior as well, but I've decided to dye the dash flat black where it is tan instead (easy way out). Post up some photos of the finished product when you get a chance!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out! I'm in the process of swapping to black interior as well, but I've decided to dye the dash flat black where it is tan instead (easy way out). Post up some photos of the finished product when you get a chance!
Will have pics tomorrow. The local Pull-A-Part was really handy getting small bits. I do have some parts left - column cover with the extra hole above the key, the glue down sill strips, and the storage cubby that replaced the CD player.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score

Come to think of it, the factory put the tan color over the black dash, at least on my car. Wonder if there is a way to get the tan off without harming the black...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Come to think of it, the factory put the tan color over the black dash, at least on my car. Wonder if there is a way to get the tan off without harming the black...
Mine seemed to be the opposite, seemed like when I scratched the black, the tan came through... O well, mine is all converted or dyed black now (hopefully it holds up)

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Done, I think. Radio lit but no sound - had to grab amp from old dash and install in new. Other minor glitches but it was worth all the hassle and skinned knuckles. My
dash%20from%20back_zps7pv67ojk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

empty%20interior_zpsmo8b8ozj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dash%20from%20back_zpsdxxbwmqp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

driver%20side_zpsjurgte6i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

fuel%20door_zpscauswuhy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Now, if I can only get the rattle behind the dash figured out. Seems to be top center of the dash. I've taken out the radio, CD, and bezel and STILL can't figure it out!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
only thing up there I can think of is the air vents that go across the dash, maybe the windshield defogger vent? If it had the clock pod you might be able to get a better idea through there or take the center section out all the way.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
only thing up there I can think of is the air vents that go across the dash, maybe the windshield defogger vent? If it had the clock pod you might be able to get a better idea through there or take the center section out all the way.

No clock pod. Found out that one of the A pillar exteriors was not bolted down. My take out the cowl vent and see if something dropped down in the cowl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online