Switch rear gears?

joemomma

Reaction score
The diff choice won't have any effect on RPM. Stick with Ford gears, if possible.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Diff type and gears can have an effect on mpg and rpm as it relates to accel & decel. A heavier package will take more horsepower to turn and is definitely a factor in 'drivetrain loss' (along with driveshaft, transmission, clutch package/torque converter, etc.). For instance, if you get the gears lightened it removes material from one of the heaviest components in the drivetrain, thereby reducing mass and thus drivetrain loss. This frees up engine power and also the car will accelerate quicker. Weight is one thing, but when it's 'powered weight' so to speak, the effect of changing it for better or worse is even more pronounced. There is essentially no downside to reducing weight from transmission reward. It's only when you dedicate the car to drag racing only that a heavier flywheel may be more desirable so that it can store a lot of energy prior to dumping the clutch (in a manual trans, that is).

Snorky

Reaction score
Thx, Snorky. That was my understanding. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right page still!

I guess my focus regarding traction is: Does either choice (Posi/LSD) affect mpg and/or rpm's?

I'm guessing "no" based on the "3.08's are 3.08"s" element of the equation, but again... just want to clarify and reassure! Any thoughts on where to get? Which brands are best? Which to avoid? I'm running Ford Performance now but have Googled and found Yukon and Moser so far...

Appreciate and await your feedback. Thx again ++
Lsd/posi will have no noticeable effect on mileage. Just traction. 3.08s are 3.08s ;-)

From all of the gear setups I have done. I prefer using ford/ford racing gears and a Yukon super shim kit for the carrier.. Crush sleeve eliminator kits are great as well, But it isn't necessary. I just hate crush sleeves that come with gear sets. Was never good at setting those. As for bearings.. pick a a set and go. Just try and get koyo or timken and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, gents! Good info, all. Getting excited here about getting this in motion (no pun intended).

Definitely want to stick with Ford Performance gears. Having a bit of trouble locating WHERE to get the complete gear set kit in 3.08

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online