T-45 and reverse

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
My tranny is really becoming a pain in the ass. In order to get it into reverse I have to put it in to 1st then reverse sometimes letting the clutch out and doing this 3-4 times. I dont mind when I am by myself but I hate it when other ppl are in the car..especially girls haha. So my question is who else has this problem and how much does it cost to get this fixed? I know it is because reverse does not have a synchro but mine has gotten really bad lately...

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
T45s are notorious for this...there isnt really much you can do, just something you gotta put up with.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yep mine does the same thing. what i do that usually works great is let the clutch out in neutral, then clutch and go to fifth then right down to reverse. works everytime for me.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Mine does the same in this car and the previous 3 T-45 3550's i've had.. Its normal. I go from fifth to reverse and it works everytime.

OP
OP
B

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
damn not the news i wanted to hear..Do all of yours make the god awful grinding noise when it doesn't go in as well?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
SgtMike said:
damn not the news i wanted to hear..Do all of yours make the god awful grinding noise when it doesn't go in as well?
you mean when you miss a shift? :rollinglaugh:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
SgtMike said:

if the input shaft hasn't stoppped turning or my clutch isn't adjusted right it does.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing.

If I think the trans is in reverse but it isn't all the way in the gate, then I get some gear grind. But that is the only time.

Whistler98

Reaction score
Same prob. I put mine in 5th and then try again usually works. Does yours ever pop outta reverse when you put a load on it like when u just start backing up? Mine does sometime when I am on a slight grade.

St33da

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
T45s are notorious for this...there isnt really much you can do, just something you gotta put up with.

Article No.
01-23-5

11/26/01
TRANSMISSION - T-45 MANUAL TRANSMISSION -
STUCK IN REVERSE - DIFFICULT TO SHIFT INTO
REVERSE - POPS OUT OF REVERSE

FORD:
1996-2001 MUSTANG

ISSUE
Some vehicles equipped with the T45 transmission may exhibit a condition of being stuck in reverse, difficult to shift into reverse or may pop out of reverse. This may be caused by the 5th/Reverse Gear Shift Fork. This article does not apply to the condition of "unable to get into reverse" or "reverse block out".

ACTION
Verify which shift fork is in the transmission, measure the reverse engagement, and replace the shift fork with the proper part number. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Please follow the procedure in the appropriate Mustang Workshop Manual, for the T45 transmission removal. Refer to the appropriate section in that Workshop Manual for the disassembly of the transmission. In this section, complete the steps up to and including the removal of the Fifth/Reverse Synchronizer Sleeve, the Fifth/Reverse Gear Shifter Fork and the Reverse Synchronizer sleeve. After this is complete, continue with the following steps.

90076188et9.gif

1. While viewing the extension housing from the front, place a small amount of standard modeling clay on the reverse idler bracket (7723) near the 5th/reverse shift rail support. hole (near the exterior wall of the housing Figure 1).

2. Place a standard 9/16" hole diameter plain washer on the 5th/reverse shift rail and against the rear face of the 5th/reverse shift fork. The washer is placed behind the fork as installed on the rail.

3. Re-install the extension housing (7A039), offset lever (7F018), spring (7E172), ball (7234) and roll pin (35749-S15). Attach securely with only two (2) bolts.

4. Attach the shifter assembly (7A039) securely and (with the appropriate upper lever) make a high effort, quick shift into reverse.

5. Remove the extension assembly (7A039) as before and conduct the reverse engagement inspection.

6. Using an appropriate depth gage, carefully measure from the case mounting face of the extension housing to the face of the plain washer, which should be stuck in the modeling clay. Take three (3) readings and calculate the average. This is the measure of reverse engagement.

7. Using the following criteria, select the correct 5th/reverse fork. This fork should replace the current fork in the transmission.

a. If the measurement is less than 68.1158 mm (2.682 inches), use the "long" fork (F8ZZ-7230-EA).

b. If the measurement is greater than 69.233 mm (2.726 inches), use the "short" fork (F8ZZ-7230-DE).

c. If the measurement falls between the above values, then install the "nominal" fork (F6ZZ-7230-C).

8. Remove and replace the current fork with the new fork, per the Workshop Manual procedure.

9. Clean the joint surfaces of the castings (main and extension housing) and shifter.

10. Re-assemble per Workshop Manual.

11. Verify repair

90076189xh3.gif

Parts Block

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

012305A Replace The Reverse Shift 3.6 Hrs.
Fork (Includes Time To
Remove, Disassemble,
Measure And Reinstall
Transmission)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7230 42

OASIS CODES: 505000

OP
OP
B

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
SgtMike said:
you mean when you miss a shift? :rollinglaugh:

lol..yea kinda except its from a dead stop into reverse
Thomas_W said:
SgtMike said:

if the input shaft hasn't stoppped turning or my clutch isn't adjusted right it does.

hmm..well i will have to get it checked out when i am home for good this summer until then i will just have to deal

st33da, I will bring that to my transmission shop hopefully that will help thanks for that

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
sadly, this is normal. :/ Kind of sucks when you run out of room infront of you to go forward to "unlock it". I usually go into 1st than move up abit than it goes into reverse fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar