Tensioner bolt

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs on the tensioner bolt? Mine still cooperates but I feel like it’s getting a little more stripped each time I used it. So a lil’ preventative maintenance here. Hopefully a Grade 8, ARP or comparable? Oh, and where to get one?

Thanks everyone!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You’re using the correct size wrench ?it’s a 15mm head on the bolt .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how or why are you using the bolt on the tensioner? Mine has a 3/8" square drive that my ratchet extension fits into when I need to remove the belt. The only time I touched the bolt was to install it and I have not taken it off since.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
The bolt I’m referring to is in the foreground. Scott, I believe you were referencing the Torx (star-shaped) one in the background.

I’ve been attaching to the 15mm bolt and GINGERLY cranking it over to R&R the belt usually with a breaker bar. And usually having it slip off a few times or more until I can finesse it over, hold it in place while slipping the belt on/off before the socket slips off the head of the bolt again!

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
on my tensioner just below the mounting bolt I have a square drive 3/8" hole made to fit a ratchet/extension into it to allow to twist it to release the belt. I tried to get a pic but I would need to move my overflow tank and probably the supercharger pulley to get a good pic of it. Not sure what brand it is but I would recommend it to anyone as it makes life easy.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re ever motivated, I’m sure I’m not the only one here who would love to know that info! I mean, mine is working fine so I’m not going to mess with it. But, it would be nice to have yours “on the shelf” if/when the current one craps out!

But definitely DO NOT go to all that trouble to find out what exactly it is. Maybe you’ll find a receipt? Or the light will go on and it’ll come to you?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it looks similar to this one after doing a search for "94 mustang belt tensioner" but yet a little different design. I am just posting this pic to show the square hole I am talking about but I just use a 3" ratchet extension with no bit on the end and insert it into that hole and I have never had a problem with it slipping.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would LOVE to have that vs using the BB/socket combo! And it’s a Ford part, so BONUS!! :)
on edit: bummer, doesn’t fit according to the website. The one that it defaults to is the one I have. Even though the tensioner and pulley are flip-flopped, I gotta wonder if it wouldn’t still work because once the belts in place the tension will be there, no?

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
Pretty sure mine just has a square ratchet hole as well.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
some cars did come with torx bit bolts on the tensioner.
i remember a while back when we had this conversation my girls car has that one mine has the 3/8 drive

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Right! I didn’t have any immediate success even finding the f4ze-6B209–AD available anywhere anyhow.
Just gonna keep what I have

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That is 100% the wrong way to do it.
Great, I’ve been doing it wrong all along! Yet I did manage to R&R the belt at least 4-5 times. I guess I was just fortunate.

So, I take it I should’ve been cranking it by the Torx??

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It turns out my tensioner DOES have the square hole for the ratchet extension. I couldn’t see it behind the belt so never knew it was there and didn’t know where to look for it! It wasn’t until I compared a picture of the Dayco replacement part to mine. Now I know here to look for the darn square hole! All this time I’ve been struggling with the bolt. What a classic forehead-slapper… DOH!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have only taken my belt off of my car as I don't work on many cars. A year or two ago I saw my neighbor struggling under the hood and went to help as he was putting the belt back on and he is NOT mechanically inclined at all. It was a chrysler minivan and didn't have the square in the tensioner so I used the bolt but I could not help but think ford had simple/better design there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online