The Monkey's house build thread

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I'm so lost in technology I feel that I'd need a 4 year degree before ever stepping foot in a home audio store

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so lost in technology I feel that I'd need a 4 year degree before ever stepping foot in a home audio store

That’s why you don’t go to stores. They’ll know your not well versed in this stuff and sell you a bunch of shit you don’t really need.

Best to get somewhat educated by someone who knows the industry well and have them help you pick your stuff out. Saves you time and money and you learn a bit in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol Shameless plug for Evil

Nah, tony hates me too much to ask me for info. I’m just making a simple suggestion out of the kindness of my heart!!!

...........can’t believe I typed that with a straight face, we all know I’m not kind and I have no heart!!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright pretty big update:

Here’s the easy stuff – new kitchen table. Much better than the Wal-Mart table we had in here:

Here are the pavers I laid down in the side yard. I need to get rid of the major grade behind it, but that’s another day. For now, this works and will keep the gate happily opening:

The gate all squared away.

This was buried under the old gate. I have no idea what it is.

Unfinished project: Storm Door:

Here is what we started with.

The new door is a Larson model. The top half has a screen that slides down. This way we can open the front door and have some air blow through, but we don’t need to worry about the animals getting out or destroying the screen.

I forgot to grab pics of it mounted. We still have not finished it though, but right now it is at least hanging in place. We need to get the strike plate sorted out so it hangs on a bit better. While working on this I also replaced the weather strip on the door, it makes a MUCH better seal now.

Next, the deck in the back yard – its 20’x20’ – built out of 2”x8” and 6”x6” posts with normal 1”x6” decking. I was going to do composite decking but it’s 8 times the cost. If I planned to live in this house forever, maybe. At this house? No sir.

So here are some pics:

This is getting it laid out for the first time.

I imagine most people can figure this out, but we did the classic truck unloading method – drive quick in reverse and slam the brakes. It got all the wood out in one shot, which sure beats unloading.

Here is my neighbor helping me out. My dad was also there helping!

Framed out and digging for the stringers.

We were initially planning to have 10’ on each side with a gap in the middle. But because the consistency of the boards is so, well, inconsistent – we went with a staggered approach the following day. It looks much more “professional” and might be stronger, who knows.

Here is how it sits this evening. Note the grill. Tonight was the FIRST time we used it since I bought it last June. It will be nice having a good place for it. Some people think we need seating/railing around the edges, and that might be something we add eventually. Right now I am just so happy to have a porch. This should help mitigate the dirt from tracking into the house anytime I step out the back door.

So, that’s it for now. I will try to get some updated pictures soon!

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Time for a house update!

We finally got around to doing some shelves in the guest bathroom. Prior to these shelves we just had one of those rack shelves designed to go over the toilet. Obviously, way clunkier than this – overall it added room for storage, and gave a much cleaner look. Unfortunately I don’t have a before shot.

Monoprice had some good deals on television mounts on Black Friday, so I ordered one for the bedroom and one for the garage. I got around to hanging up the bedroom TV. I still might raise it up some, but here it is.

The one in the garage should be up soon, which will be great for working on cars!

Next step, was to get the shed off of our porch! As some may recall, I struck our old shed with a tree, and it had been needing to go for quite some time. So:

The shed is 8X10 – so we built a 12X12 platform to have some “porch” space around it for storage. Overall size is bigger than the old one, and there is room to stand up straight which is a plus!

The dog wanted to check out this new stage!

The shed is up I just don’t have any finished pictures. It’s one of those Lifetime plastic deals. Should more than suffice for what I need it for….storage.

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so brief update; it’s been a productive weekend!

First, just some quick pics of the next big project I plan to tackle. The space is about 12’x19’ – I want to bust up the old slab and pour a new one, then build a screened in porch. I may have someone lined up who can do the work at a very reasonable cost! Anyhow, I never really documented this crappy side of the house, so:

The shed is up!

Next on the list, the ramp for the shed (as opposed to the plywood laid up on some pavers I had before). I had some spare decking material left over which makes for a nice sturdy unit. And I know what you’re thinking “Um, you’re not centered to the door.” Yes, I know. I put shelving in on the right hand side. The shelves stick out to where the ramp starts. Having a ramp to drive into the shelves just did not make any sense. Now my little mower can feel like a king ramping in and out of this shed!

I hung up the all-important garage television! The plan is to hook the laptop up out there when we’re working on varying projects. A Youtube machine for all intents and purposes. I might put a Fire stick out there as well, mostly for music.

Now, onto one of the bigger updates!! I had someone give me a hand, because I was not comfortable cutting 8 inch holes in my ceilings. Anyhow:

So, I know it’s probably hard to tell, but the speakers are angled, to account for the 10* angle in the ceiling. This way they are pointed about straight down, like they should be for Atmos.

I got the Atmos processing all setup on the receiver, but have yet to watch anything in Atmos. I was hunting Walmart’s movie collection the other day, but they had slim pickings on Atmos material. From what I read, some good titles are supposed to be:

Deadpool (1 and 2)
Fifth Element
Mad Max

If anyone has Atmos that knows “You need to watch this!” say so.

Anyhow, I also rearranged the front speakers a bit, to be more conducive to the end goal:

Understanding that they might be hard to see there:

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You get everything fully functional now???

Yes, I think I may have plugged/unplugged while it was on and caused a malfunction. I called customer service and they walked me through it :)

I meant to text you about it later but I passed out shortly after talking to you haha! I bought John Wick 2 with Atmos to give it a whirl, but have not yet tried it out. I can hear it in TV shows and video games, but nothing specifically tailored for the overhead speakers. They are just using it as the 6 and 7 speakers.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright so I suppose now is a good a time as any to let everyone know the bad news: The Boss and I have parted ways. I don’t think it was a messy break, and I believe we are going to be friendly with one another, but ultimately decided a relationship was probably not the best. That said, I’ve been doing a ton of work on the house, so without further ado:

The front door frame got all rotten, probably because before the house had gutters, water would roll down the roof, splash on the ground and splash up into the bottom of the frame, inducing rot. I noticed because the storm door did this:

So, got it all ripped out of there:

And then I got a new door:

Obviously the sealant gets covered up with the trim, but I painted it before I put that up. No pics because I ran out of light on that.

Next, the master bedroom door made a hellacious noise every time it opened and closed. I found out it was because it was sagging a bit, so I replaced these hinges, and now it’s silent. Score!

Some of you may remember from the microwave install, I punched through the other side of the drywall. I’ve had this hole covered up since with a puzzle, decided I would go ahead and officially fix it:

I haven’t painted it just yet because I have a few places that need touch up and I’m, you know, saving it.

With the split, I needed to get a bed. So I decided to try one of these:

They send a couple of these cute little things that show the material it’s made out of and let you feel it.

And since I ordered it during the Presidents Day sale, they also sent a free $100 pillow. This thing has to be 20 pounds.

Next I decided to replace the carpet. I went with the bottom choice here:

That’s 55 boxes, luckily I only needed 53! Woo, returns! Master bedroom all torn up:

Then the living room:

Mostly finished:

It’s hard to tell, but on the step down into the back room it used to be half carpet and half tile. We leveled out the step and made it wood the whole way back, and are doing a stair nose. Now we are just waiting for the stair nose and T-Moldings to come in to finish everything up.

First impressions: Holy crap this is going to be so much cleaner. Holy crap, it’s so much easier to just slide furniture around. Holy crap the house just looks bigger!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my really cool coffee table that I've already been working on projects for.

I got crafty one night and decided to hot glue a bunch of Rick and Morty figures down on some cardboard, because that’s what adults do:

I came home the other morning this to. Obligatory aww photo:

I needed a kitchen table and my grandmother came in for the save, finding this one for free. I might sticker bomb the top then do an acrylic coating over it. For now, it’s a great table for free!

I think the house is letting me know that the next thing I need to do is a remodel of the master bath. I think the flange under the toilet needs to be replaced, and I hate the tub, and, so on and so forth. May as well do it all in one shot…I am probably going to go with a shower only in there, something much nicer and more up to date (tile).

After that, I’ve been really toying with the idea of an arcade machine. I am not sure which style I like more:

With the enclosed screen the advantage is that it’s all just one unit. Without the enclosed screen you can have a bigger screen. But, I feel like the retro games should be on a smallish screen. The plan is to have the base be a glass door refrigerator stocked with good stuff, with something neat running the whole setup.

So, there you have it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Good and bad update. Sorry to hear about the split man. You’ll make it through though.

Anyway, great job on the house. It’s all coming together really nice. How difficult was that flooring to put down? I’ve been debating doing the same thing in my place.

Also, you HAVE to let me know what you think about that bed. I’ve been thinking about them very seriously. I seem to find mixed opinions though.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good and bad update. Sorry to hear about the split man. You’ll make it through though.

Anyway, great job on the house. It’s all coming together really nice. How difficult was that flooring to put down? I’ve been debating doing the same thing in my place.

Also, you HAVE to let me know what you think about that bed. I’ve been thinking about them very seriously. I seem to find mixed opinions though.

Hey sorry to take so long to get back to you. I usually post at work but we have been super busy. That said:

Thank you for the kind words. On the floors - it was really easy to put down. Because it is physically thick I had to use a saw rather than one of those laminate cutters to cut it, so it took a little longer and was a bit messier than other laminate jobs, but well worth it for the much higher quality.

I had someone helping me who knows what their doing, so he did all the pain in the butt stuff like cutting around angles and such, but the actual snapping in and stuff is ridiculously easy. I recommend using something like a delrin block to tap everything into place. Makes a big difference in ensuring the pieces are together.

The moldings finally came in today, so I am hoping to have the floor officially done in the next week or so.

On the bed - I really like it. It does take some getting used to. I probably would not get their bed-frame. I will write them about it though. The frame is a bit noisy when getting into bed, which I think would not be an issue on a wood style bed frame. However, it doesn't make much noise if I shuffle around.

I had a friend lay on one side of the bed while I jumped down - he said he did not feel any motion at all. One of their big selling points is the motion isolation, and it definitely works. Which is great for all the sleeping alone I'll be doing. #featuresillneveruse haha.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I would like to give you some "you will find the right person" bs but after recent events in my life all I can say is "bitches be crazy yo"...

I appreciate it Scott. I don't have anything bad to say about her. No worries.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Sorry about the splitup. Last time I split from a long term lady I took a year off to reset myself. Smart decision for me, gave me prespective on my choices. Took my time and have been married for 12+ years to the right one. That said, let's hope that you are able to get the bed a-squeakin' again soon! Yep, laminate is fairly easy to install. Did my old house with the help of my brother, combo kitchen and dining room. Only thing I would do different this time is use a power miter saw vs. a hand saw in a miter box tool. My latest project - wifey didn't like the boring plastic vent/light over her soaking tub. I bought a flush mount plastic crystal chandelier light, cut some shiny metal spacers so it drops down an inch and allows the fan to draw air, drilled four holes for long screws run thru the spacers, and now she has the fancy light she wanted and the fan still draws out plenty of air.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about the splitup. Last time I split from a long term lady I took a year off to reset myself.

I'll be taking time to myself. Being a hermit. Not interested in anyone. Actually feeling really down if I'm being honest.

If I redo the bathroom I will be adding a fan. The master currently has no ventilation which I don't think is a good thing.

PinkieT

Reaction score
New and old bathroom fan/light. My wife is happy, which is always a good thing!
b97ccaa699a6c39989eb99d9d9acf0d5.jpg
8426e14afa58a1d5a9c133d88aa4a866.jpg

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.