Thoughts and opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Milehigh JDF, May 13, 2014.

1. Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF Member

I've seen this pop up a couple times over the past few months and was wondering what everybody else's opinions on it were. http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4440366723.html

I've kicked around the idea of selling my car to pick this up but haven't come to any serious decision on the matter, especially because my car is my DD.

2. white95

white95 Apex Junky Admin

My main concern would be sucking water into the turbo.. Looks like a fun project though!!

3. Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF Member

Yeah that was my thought as well. If only I had a cheap ass Civic to drive, this decision would be a no brained then

4. 1997gtRioRed

1997gtRioRed Well-Known Member

if it has been 'popping up every couple of months' there is a reason why. normally its because its a piece of shit

5. Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF Member

You know, I've never really thought of it that way. He's dropped a grand off original asking price say maybe I'll continue watching it. I'm in no rush at all

6. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

That statement alone tells me to run very far away. That's such bullshit. I can name every single little issue wrong with my car without even having to think twice. This guy did most of the work on his car himself iirc. He knows the issues, he just doesn't want to own up to them.

Also, I kinda wanted 6 spoke rims but this car has me thinking otherwise.

7. Burninriverdiver

Burninriverdiver Well-Known Member

Probably lost interest due to insufficient funds for replacement parts. Sounds like a cool project but you would probably end up dumping some serious cash into that thing

8. Burninrock24

Burninrock24 Active Member

Clean and tasteful GTs go for that in my area, I wouldn't expect a well running turbo'd one to stick around very long at that price if everything was right. I'm also not a big fan of buying hidden projects like that.

It's either buy a shell and build it yourself, or buy something in great working condition and use that as your starting point. I just don't like having to find out all the quirks a month into already owning it.

9. Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF Member

You guys all bring up some pretty valid points, thanks for the insight everyone! I think I'll keep an eye on it and see if it keeps dropping in price.

10. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Honestly its a crappy car, I'd stay away. Just going to turn into a money sucking leech with 4 wheels

11. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

If I'm correct you'd be buying this car as a DD?
    Then definitely no.

Don't buy someone's project as a DD. When you deal with swaps and forced inductions there will be constant bugs! Its a project car and always will be.

Go buy a mustang that's fairly stock and cheap. Buy a civic (or other cheap car) that you can beat around with the left over money. Mod the mustang.

12. Milehigh JDF

Milehigh JDF Member

Yeah if I got it the car would be a DD. Cars like this always tempt me mostly because my car feels slow and I see this as being the easy "cheap" way of getting a fast car. Thankfully I haven't acted upon every whim or fancy I get or else I would be in a bad way right now. Long term plan is to DD the Mustang and then eventually buy a C5 Z06 to be a track whore

13. martinbaca18

martinbaca18 New Member

Test drive it and see how it feels like. And where it's leaking oil. And a clutch from americanmuscle.com aren't that expensive. You can even take it to a trusted mechanic to look at it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Rallim

Rallim Active Member

I was thinking about something in this style, but I now don't want as well.

I'd buy it for the price, STS makes a hell of a kit, and its already 4v swapped. Even if its got issues thats the cheapest 500hp car you're going to find anywhere anytime soon. Seems like just little things need to be finished up, I'd be willing to do it for that price. Hell, if I had the money I'd almost be willing to go buy it and drive it back here.