Thread closed.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Recently noticed that my tach needle sometimes doesn’t move unless I tap the dashboard plexiglass in front of it to wake it up.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Thanks again everyone!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
technical taps are a great way to diagnose electrical problems. Take the gauges out and tap on a few more spots and you will find the problem.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
technical taps are a great way to diagnose electrical problems. Take the gauges out and tap on a few more spots and you will find the problem.
“Technical taps”? Like the ones I’ve been giving the plexiglass to wake up the tach?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
your an idiot if you just bang on stuff but your a tech if you do technical taps....

It’s the technical term. We who were in da biz know all about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Too funny, both of yuz! I could swear I felt a slight tugging on my leg in there somewhere!!

I’ll pull the gauge pod and check for dust bunnies, loose connections, etc!

Shit, I’m STILL laughing at you two. Had me going fir a mini there!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have actually gone to school to become an electronics tech. My 2nd week of school we were in a lab and had a small circuit set up but one of the students was having problems with his signal generator. The prof was SUPER fat and rarely got up out of the desk so he was helping the student troubleshoot the generator as he sat at his desk. "Is this switch on? Is this set to output - A? Is it plugged into output - A?" and then finally started to slowly get up from his desk when I heard the student having issues start to "tap" on the generator before announcing "HEY fixed it!". My prof suddenly got up rather quickly from the desk and demanded that we all pay attention. I figured he was going to start bitching about beating/smacking the schools equipment so you can imagine my surprise when he started to tell us that he didn't hit it, he didn't smack it, and he didn't beat on it THAT is called a technical tap and you can trouble shoot and diagnose a LOT of electrical problem with it, fix a few things with it but as a tech you get to bill for it.... That was over 20 yrs ago and he was right as I have used it in my audio area as well as when I was working for intel on million dollar production equipment. Truth is he didn't make it up as it goes all the way back to the start of electronics and vacuum tubes. The old tubes(that were replaced by transistors) stood up in a clip like harness that made the connections at the bottom. They were not able to manf then as accurately as then can today and after a while when the tubes heated up they could expand and loose contact to the pins so it was not uncommon at all that on what was the latest technology of the time that they would have to go and tap on the top of the tubes and they would again make contact and work.

STart lightly with your finger tips, move up to you 1rst knuckle, then go to your 2nd knuckle, Then Go to a light tapping with your fist, then start throwing mad hammer fists before you get a hammer and beat the FFFFFf out of it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! See, even an older guy like me can learn something new! Thanks, ttocs. Given the history of the “tap” as you described, and come to think of it, I can think back and remember doing the tap as a knee-jerk reaction when a gauge wasn’t functioning. Who knew that I was actually doing something that was technically sound and appropriate?
Awesome reply. Thank you for taking the time to explain it and in language that those of us who are “technologically and electronically challenged “ can understand!
Cheers!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So vacuum tubes are still a thing. I still sell brand new amplifiers that’s have vacuum tubes. Tapping them isn’t as necessary anymore though.

Security equipment gets the technical tap quite often though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they still make them vacuum tubey thingeys? REALLY NOW?! Next thing you tell me that they got them hooked up to record players as antiquated as they are.......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
they still make them vacuum tubey thingeys? REALLY NOW?! Next thing you tell me that they got them hooked up to record players as antiquated as they are.......

I’m a Rega and Pro-Ject dealer for turntables. They range from $350 up to about $15k.

And yes, we sell the tube amps to be hooked up to turntables.

I’m in the process right now of restoring a 60’s model Zenith Diamond cabinet that originally had a tube amp and turntable. The fm works and it’s still got a decent sound when it’s not shorting out. The turntable would need rebuilt. I’m keeping the original look but with a new Pro-Ject RPM Carbon Series 3 turntable and DS2 series amps and preamps.

Vinyl is selling quite strong these days.
67ea1535e99d271d13a102323a5326d4.jpg

The zenith is the one in front. The unit behind it is from the 70’s. Has a turntable, am/fm and 8track. It also still sounds great. That one I’ll be refurbishing the original equipment.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well gooooo-ooooooool-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey! Part of me thinks your making all this up and next thing you know you will be talkin bout how "warm" the sound is as if sound can make ya warm or something...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well gooooo-ooooooool-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey! Part of me thinks your making all this up and next thing you know you will be talkin bout how "warm" the sound is as if sound can make ya warm or something...

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC1502

Enlighten yourself. And yes, they do create a much warmer sound. I’d dealt with everything from analog to digital to tube amps. There is a noticeable difference. Ask any musician if they prefer their new or old tube amplifiers for their guitars or the newer digital stuff. They all will tel you the tube amps are far superior.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/amplifiers/MC1502

Enlighten yourself. And yes, they do create a much warmer sound. I’d dealt with everything from analog to digital to tube amps. There is a noticeable difference. Ask any musician if they prefer their new or old tube amplifiers for their guitars or the newer digital stuff. They all will tel you the tube amps are far superior.

do you really think I have not heard and cannot appreciate a nice tube amp? records, eh not a fan of the format.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
do you really think I have not heard and cannot appreciate a nice tube amp? records, eh not a fan of the format.

Fawker your the one who made remarks about how next I’ll tell you how warm the sound is and blah blah blah!! [emoji38]

And if you can’t appreciate a great vinyl collection and the sound then you’ve lost your inner hifi touch.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fawker your the one who made remarks about how next I’ll tell you how warm the sound is and blah blah blah!! [emoji38]

And if you can’t appreciate a great vinyl collection and the sound then you’ve lost your inner hifi touch.

I also started it off with the best impersonation I can give of gomer pyle on a forum. I can appreciate a good collection but if its on vinyl then we only get to enjoy it in one place on one persons idea of what is perfect stereo to them, while they tell us how much better vinyl is.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thread hijacked. I’m out. “Unwatching”.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah sorry bout that. We kind of went waaaayyyyyyyyy off subject!!!