J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
;)

51464490467_e573ba647d_c-jpg.16270
Do you like the performance?

chithead

Reaction score
After changing the upper plenum, the throttle body, and from that Dorman intake to the Ford Performance PI intake manifold, can definitely tell a difference. She pulls way harder throughout.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Any plenum is going to give you an increase in performance but it’s going to be very little. I remember years ago there was an article with all the intake plenums (at the time) where they were all flow tested. Dragon (for all who remember) was number one, followed by accufab and I think C&L. But in reality you’ll only see a max of like 10 hp if that. And the flow differences weren’t enough that you’d even notice while driving. Point is, doesn’t matter what brand, any of them will outperform the stock plenum.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I just want a little increase in power for the feel good. Later on I’ll do something bigger like a swap. The thing is I’m on a budget you know cause I’m a dad.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Get a used one then. Imo it’s not worth it to buy new. 150 bucks for maybe 7 hp is so not worth it. Most bolt ons for these cars don’t do much. Gears and a tune are probably the most noticable mods but are expensive.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I agree.
I still need to get gears and I think I can get them with the budget I have.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get a used one then. Imo it’s not worth it to buy new. 150 bucks for maybe 7 hp is so not worth it. Most bolt ons for these cars don’t do much. Gears and a tune are probably the most noticable mods but are expensive.
You're discounting the percentage increase. When you only have a little over 200 rwhp to begin with you are going to feel 10 rwhp increase a hell of a lot more than you would if you already have 600 rwhp.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I understand what I have. I know it won’t go over 270-280 WHP once I have all the bolt ons. I’m ok with that. I just want what I can get with the least amount of money. Good thing is that the car already came with a 70 mm BBK throttle body I can keep and save money. I haven’t had any issues with that throttle body. Just need the plenum. Originally I was going to buy both things together.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I understand what I have. I know it won’t go over 270-280 WHP once I have all the bolt ons. I’m ok with that. I just want what I can get with the least amount of money. Good thing is that the car already came with a 70 mm BBK throttle body I can keep and save money. I haven’t had any issues with that throttle body. Just need the plenum. Originally I was going to both things together.
I'm in a similar place right now. Bigger aspirations in the near future but in the mean time doing all the bolt ons while I focus on building up the chassis and suspension. I did the Accufab throttle body/plenum and JLT fenderwell CAI all at the same time a few months back. So it's tough to pinpoint what did the most there but I definitely felt the bump.

The one thing I can say for certain that was quite a surprise was how much the box 93 octane tune on my SCT X4 did for my car. I felt that more than anything I have done thus far. Car pulled way harder, smoother and didn't fall off until I got well over 6,000 rpm. As as bang for buck and the necessity for tuning fans, rev limits and rear gears, etc I felt like that was surprisingly worth while. I got it just to reprogram my speedo as I'm working on putting my 3.73s in right now, but couldn't sing the praises of that tune any higher. Well worth the money especially as you get deeper into modding the car.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
All I have left to do on my list of performance parts are gears, plenum, subframe connectors and headers. I already have a custom tune.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All I have left to do on my list of performance parts are gears, plenum, subframe connectors and headers. I already have a custom tune.
I have everything on your list except for headers. Figured I would do those when I do the tubular k-member since I have to pull the k-member for the headers anyways.

Reaction score
Watched a fascinating video the other week directly on the topic of throttle bodies. Guy had an ~800HP LS on the dyno and wanted to see if a bigger TB would make a difference. He already had one of the biggest TBs available. So he literally just pulled the TB off the intake during a pull to see what it would do. You can't get less restrictive than no TB. He picked up, as I recall, about 20 HP with no TB blocking airflow. That's not even a 3% gain on a built engine. I'd say that shows TB size on an ordinary engine probably doesn't matter. It's certainly not going to make a difference you'd feel.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Like with carb sizing, the cfm matched to the potential of the engine's airflow is the place to start.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Watched a fascinating video the other week directly on the topic of throttle bodies. Guy had an ~800HP LS on the dyno and wanted to see if a bigger TB would make a difference. He already had one of the biggest TBs available. So he literally just pulled the TB off the intake during a pull to see what it would do. You can't get less restrictive than no TB. He picked up, as I recall, about 20 HP with no TB blocking airflow. That's not even a 3% gain on a built engine. I'd say that shows TB size on an ordinary engine probably doesn't matter. It's certainly not going to make a difference you'd feel.
It all depends on the rest of the combo. Bigger TB on a PD blower is going to do a lot more than it would on an NA motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.