Time to chase goals

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
What's this project you may ask? Well it's a 1996 Mustang GT that's been very neglected for the last few years

It's time too bring it back from neglect to use it first in autocross to sort out the chassis and find the weak points in cornering then I can search for a good welder to build a full cage and prep the car for the Champcar endurance series

Pictures will appear in about a week and a half after I can pickup the car

Addicted

Reaction score
There couldn't be a better time than now to learn how to weld yourself. I'm getting ready to buy me another welder myself, and I took many years of welding in school. Burn them rods, I want to see some sparks fly!

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
There couldn't be a better time than now to learn how to weld yourself. I'm getting ready to buy me another welder myself, and I took many years of welding in school. Burn them rods, I want to see some sparks fly!

I took all of the welding classes when I was in highschool but never wanted to pursue the career just wanted the skill now it's going to payoff on my way to professional racing

OP
OP
Whip1a5h

Whip1a5h

Reaction score
Well I picked up the car Monday 5/11/2020

It's a bit worse than I was expecting so I'm going to change the direction of this project and it's going to get used as a car for me to learn drifting instead

The damage or just wrong things I've found so far some of which I was unable to see before: bent lower radiator support, the wrong radiator, lots of broken bolts, the fuel tank seam is splitting open, small dents everywhere, roof is damaged as well as the hood (hood latch is just gone), and it looks like someone made a trap door in the trunk floor to get to the fuel pump with a chisel (blindly)

So with all of that in mind it would be easier to get seat time and have fun with the car out drifting instead of endurance racing (not to mention I can do whatever I want for modifications now)

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_080724697_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200512_080724697_HDR.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Akurma

Reaction score
I auto crossed my 99GT a few times and its an absolute blast! It definitely doesn't handle the best but it was better than I expected. the only "handling" mods that my GT has is Eibach sportlines and 97 cobra front & rear sway bars as they were thicker and free for me. Sub frame connectors have been on my list, just havent gotten around to it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.