Timing

Project Grey94

Reaction score
Do the sn94-95 computers pull timing and if so how do you stop it car runs great for 10-15min then no power about to go carb any help be greatly appreciate it

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
All the sensors have bin replaced after the 10-15min mark no power bucking some times pops will not run with timing spout plug in or maf plugged in

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes when it will pull timing when it senses there is an issue. It could be as simple as the temp is getting too hot and you can't trust the stock gauge to tell you when it is getting too hot. I personally saw my car on the dyno getting hot enough to pull timing while the gauge inside showed 3/4 normal.

Another thing it could be was I discovered that the harness to my tps sensor was bad only when the motor was hot. Right at start up it would work as normal but after it was warm it got loose and would start to show 5-6% throttle when it was idleing. Get the motor hot and try dicking with all the sensor wiring. Pull/tug, twist and don't be afraid to just flat out yank on it and see if the motor makes any changes to how it runs. If ANY of the harnesses are missing even one of the clips to hold it in place go ahead and replace it. You should be able to give a solit tug/yank on any harness and not worry about it.

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
yes when it will pull timing when it senses there is an issue. It could be as simple as the temp is getting too hot and you can't trust the stock gauge to tell you when it is getting too hot. I personally saw my car on the dyno getting hot enough to pull timing while the gauge inside showed 3/4 normal.

Another thing it could be was I discovered that the harness to my tps sensor was bad only when the motor was hot. Right at start up it would work as normal but after it was warm it got loose and would start to show 5-6% throttle when it was idleing. Get the motor hot and try dicking with all the sensor wiring. Pull/tug, twist and don't be afraid to just flat out yank on it and see if the motor makes any changes to how it runs. If ANY of the harnesses are missing even one of the clips to hold it in place go ahead and replace it. You should be able to give a solit tug/yank on any harness and not worry about it.
Thanks for you're time and knowledge I will try this after the work day is over

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
Thanks for you're time and knowledge I will try this after the work day is over
By chance could I drive the car with the tps unplugged or would that do damage just trying to get the damn car home without all the breakdowns

Monday

Reaction score
I always go back to the capacitors in the computer when you get funny crap like this happening. You gotta get that kick panel off man - have a look; if good... then start unplugging stuff...

one thing at a time

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
I always go back to the capacitors in the computer when you get funny crap like this happening. You gotta get that kick panel off man - have a look; if good... then start unplugging stuff...

one thing at a time
Got a new computer in it this has bin kicking my ass since May and I'm ready to just get rid of all my fuel injection and go carbureted because I can't figure it out but thank you all for all the info and knowledge if anything else you can think of please please respond and post for me

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score

one thing at a time
And by chance what would you start with

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
Is there any trick or any wire to cut or disconnect to make it stop pulling timing cuz I knew this been the problem the whole time I just didn't know how to ask the right questions

Monday

Reaction score
Have you considered your fuel pump/filter? I had a problem where I went back to checking the computer, then started pulling stuff again. I thought the same thing - MAF failed again; TPS; EGR; fuel rail reg; lines... I even thought it could be that porcelain thing inside the passenger fender (forget what it's called).

I pulled my tank. I needed a new fuel pump and I changed out the tank sender and vent valve. AND, and I say this to everybody - seal the Compressor up... by this I mean clamp the crap outta your engine... NO LEAKS.

While you're at it, get a new gas cap...

Monday

Reaction score
And by chance what would you start with
If it was me, I would replace the camshaft and crankshaft sensors first. Start with a good foundation, then go from there.

Basically start over. Forget what you think you have learned. With good parts, re-diagnose the motor. That's me. I would have spent another ten days trying to get it running, testing, pulling stuff off/plugging back on IF I didn't go back to the start. Which meant going to the back of the car and doing my fuel tank. I'm just saying you never know where it could take you.

GOOD LUCK :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
start simple and check all the wire connections after its hot like I said. Don't be afraid to give the sensors some technical taps by rapping on them with your knuckles lightly as you would be amazed how many and the type of electronics I have used this on to figure out what is wrong. It sounds funny/stupid but the term honestly goes all the way back to the days of the vacuum tube and its still used more often then you would know.

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
Have you considered your fuel pump/filter? I had a problem where I went back to checking the computer, then started pulling stuff again. I thought the same thing - MAF failed again; TPS; EGR; fuel rail reg; lines... I even thought it could be that porcelain thing inside the passenger fender (forget what it's called).

I pulled my tank. I needed a new fuel pump and I changed out the tank sender and vent valve. AND, and I say this to everybody - seal the Compressor up... by this I mean clamp the crap outta your engine... NO LEAKS.

While you're at it, get a new gas cap...
Thank you for your info I have replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and it didn't do nothing for me but thank you again for your time

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
My biggest scare is that I convert this to a carburetor and have the same damn problems I guess next I'm going to try the p i p sensor even though I just replaced the distributor I understand some things are just bad when you buy them being electronical parts

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
I'm once again not to sound like a big D head but I've replaced every electronical sensor under the hood every one of them and I know that it's pulling timing also have new spark plugs spark plug wires new fuel pump new fuel filter new pressure regulator I even have a new computer with no success

OP
OP
Project Grey94

Project Grey94

Reaction score
I'm over $1,000 in electronical sensors just trying to make this fuel injection work I could have done a carburetor set up I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have no timing problems but once again all the information and knowledge is greatly appreciate it and I will keep trying cuz I do not have a carburetor setup yet good luck out there everybody thanks again

Monday

Reaction score
I'm over $1,000 in electronical sensors...
I went through five Water Temp Senders before I had two working sensors. They were all brand new - Rock Auto if you can believe it.

I've changed my EGR twice - again, bad sensor but brand new.

Mass production is inherently flawed in that not everything comes out perfect for consumers...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm once again not to sound like a big D head but I've replaced every electronical sensor under the hood every one of them and I know that it's pulling timing also have new spark plugs spark plug wires new fuel pump new fuel filter new pressure regulator I even have a new computer with no success
glad you did this but it could still very well be a bad harness. My story above about the tps sensor drifting because of the harness not making good enough contact was discovered after I swapped out the sensor, started the car up and thought I was good till 20 mins later I noticed it was drifting. When I went and tapped on the new sensor with a screw driver handle I would see that it would drift and then if I took and forced the two connectors together it read as normal. Most of those sensors read by using variable resistance(for example both the tps and the temp sensor) so if when the harness gets hot it starts to loose connection it changes the resistance that the sensor is reading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.