Timming help needed.

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by msd143, May 2, 2014.

1. msd143

msd143 New Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Ok guys I need some help!!! A few weeks ago I replace the timming chain (no issues there). While cleaning everything up I noticed that the Balancer was in great shape, better than expected for a motor with tons of miles like mine. obviously it has been replaced but im not sure with what brand (chineese im sure). So on the balance there was a white line painted on the balancer that was about 120 deg off from the timming grove in the balancer. So now that I am checking my timming I have removed the little plug and with my light on #1 I am not seeing either timming mark on the balancer (grove or white paint line). I moved the distributor both directions and still no timming marks. So my quesiton is in the above pics is my dist in the correct position? If I pull the #1 plug and find TDC and mark the balancer should that be an accurate way to establish a base mark to set the timming off of.

2. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Post Whore

That should get you pretty close.
    Are you sure your looking at the right spot on the pointer?
    I would have thought to double ck the HB marks at assy while the engine is known to be at TDC and you can still see everything clearly.

3. toyman

toyman Active Member

There should be some markings on either side of "0". Usually to about 30* +/- on either side of "0". See if they show up by cleaning the balancer with some emery paper.

4. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

The pointer is below the water pump pulley on the alternator side right?

Not sure where the scale is in reference to the keyway, but when the #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke, there should be marks on the HB by the pointer.

5. toyman

toyman Active Member

The timing mark is at the straight edge where the flash is reflected not at the circle cutout where it shows the 270* mark

[​IMG]