tips on safely removing old exhaust manifolds?

PinkieT

Reaction score
Scored a 2001 PI motor for cheap out of Crown Vic cop car. I want to use parts for a PI swap on my 98. What is the best way to get the exhaust manifolds off? I don't care about the manifolds, just don't want to break a stud off in the head. All i got is soak'em in Liquid Wrench a few times and maybe heat with propane torch. Any suggestions on getting the motor apart without ruining it would be welcome!

luster908

Reaction score
Soaking them is definitely a start. Also remember heat makes metal expand. Depending on what your full goal is will determine where to apply the heat. Do you have a picture of them?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Soaking them is definitely a start. Also remember heat makes metal expand. Depending on what your full goal is will determine where to apply the heat. Do you have a picture of them?

Motor is under a tarp in the bed of my truck, will try and get pics tomorrow. Full goal: I already have a Ford Racing PI intake manifold with the aluminum water crossover, figure it would be better than the used all plastic PI intake on the Crown Vic motor. Goal is to get the old exhaust manifolds off, pull the heads, have them checked out, install new valve seals anyway, and bolt on my 98 motor. I plan on swapping the alternator bracket, water line under the manifold, whatever else is needed onto my motor. I plan on keeping my coil packs and not doing the COP conversion - I already have high performance coil packs and wires. Whatever I don't need like the wiring harness and computer, short block, and the auto trans will be sold.

luster908

Reaction score
Sounds like a new life coming for your car then. I would try heating the nuts after they soak a while if they don't break easily with just soaking them. If the bolts look horrible then it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if the head shop can remove them and put in new ones.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score

20170330_180247_zpsy2ticcho.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend PB Blaster or Gibbs if you must get it locally. If you don't mind buying online, then the best you can get is Kroil (Aerokroil is the aerosol form). That stuff is magical. Spray it on, let it soak a bit. Repeat a couple times.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I got no problem if the studs back out with the nuts, I would probably be better off with new studs anyway. Just don't want to break one off...

driftin

Reaction score
I second the PB blaster! Good luck and enjoy the project.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Heat them up real good, and grab a breaker bar, you'll be golden. I removed manifold bolts off an 00' Wrangler that were completely beyond rusted. Heated them up real well and broke em loose with ease, no broken bolts!

P.Blunt

Reaction score
Soak them with PB Blaster a couple of times a day for a few days while its just chillin in the bed of your truck. You could also apply a little heat to the area on the manifold surrounding the nut/stud either before or after you soak them to expand the metal and draw the PB into the threads hopefully.Then make sure you use a 6 point socket with your breaker bar. I usually start by putting just a moderate bit of force on it first to see if it gives. Then reset yourself; put moderate torque on it again and then once there then ease it up to your near maximum. I am by no means a master mechanic but thats how id do it. If it doesnt break. loose after that then id probably take it somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online