Convertible top boot cover

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Looking for info on the boot covers used during the SN95 run. I believe there are two styles, possible 3. Still researching this, but long story short I purchased what I believe is the correct cover, but I don't think it is now.

I think there was a 94-00 cover, which looked something like this. It's a little more rigid and has two pairs of clips near the front area.

1698847777768.png

I beleive the 2000-2004 covers look like this, using a single snap in the front that attaches to the interior quarter trim plastic
1698847901167.png

I think the materials may have changed a bit, with the 03/04 cobras getting cover that closely matched their top material.

My question is, are these tops standard when you purchase a convertible, or is it an option? Reason I ask is because if the 2000-2004 boots use the snap method to secure it, my panels don't have the required snaps. Looking at the designs of the two boots, the later one seems more flimsy, only being secured by the part that tucks behind the rear seat, and the two snaps. The earlier one seems to have more tabs to help secure it.

My boot is off a 2001 cobra, and i'm on the fence if i want to install the required snap studs into my panels, or sell it and track down a 94-00 boot with the more secure method?

Can anyone with the later boot comment on how it secures and how sturdy it is at 70MPH? I know these boots can be a PITA but my headliner is getting sunfaded up near the header and I'd rather cover up the parchment top when it's down, as the black boot looks nicer than the parchment top IMHO.

TrickVert

Reaction score
My '95 boot is like the first pic you posted. I don't know if it was included when the car was purchased, or if it was added later. I can neither confirm nor deny that this style stays put at 115 MPH, but auto-ejects at 120. :D

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
My '95 boot is like the first pic you posted. I don't know if it was included when the car was purchased, or if it was added later. I can neither confirm nor deny that this style stays put at 115 MPH, but auto-ejects at 120. :D
Pretty sure that’s why the governor kicks in at 114mph. They don’t want you going any faster. Then again, I can’t image anyone driving that fast with the top down. I think I might’ve done 80 a few times.

Mine came with the car, lady I bought it from got it from the dealer used in 1995. Car was a rental before that, so it’s crazy to imagine it not only coming with the boot, and storage pouch, but a cargo net as well. My car either didn’t have rear floor mats, or came with rubber ones, because that’s what it had on it.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I think the governor was only for the 16” wheels due to the tire speed rating. I believe the 17” wheels were not limited.

There certainly was no limiter on my ‘03 GT as I discovered how fast that car certainly could go. ;)

That was 20 years ago. I barely break 80 in my new GT

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I think the governor was only for the 16” wheels due to the tire speed rating. I believe the 17” wheels were not limited.

There certainly was no limiter on my ‘03 GT as I discovered how fast that car certainly could go. ;)

That was 20 years ago. I barely break 80 in my new GT
My 94 originally was a v6. So it rocked those 15” three spoke premium alloys. We upgrade gear ratios one year, but without a chip couldn’t figure out why the car refused to drive over 86mph. Of course, that didn’t stop my husband from trying, and ended up blowing the head gasket. So at 86, the car thought it was going 114 and wouldn’t let us go any faster until a chip.

92wastheyear

Reaction score
When I bought my '96 a couple summers ago, it came with the first type. The dude referred to it as a "Parade Cover" and my understanding was that came from the factory with it

95opal

Reaction score
The earlier boots are so simple to put on. Not sure i would put snaps on the panels. Id say sell it and grab yourself the earlier boot.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I ended up grabbing some adhesive snaps that I can just stick to the panel. Would it past permanently? Who knows but it will at least allow me to trial this cover and see how I like it.

I do like the earlier boots, but they sell for crazy prizes right now.

despite reading that the new boot style started in 2000, I think it’s actually 2001. I went on eBay and searched out listings for 2000 and 2001 mustangs as saw the snaps were present on the ‘01s but not at all for the ‘00s

So looks like my car had the earlier style, which means I’ll need to get one now. More reason while I’ll use the adhesive mounting snaps for now to see how I like this boot. If it works out ok, I’ll run it.

COBRA_ESQ

Reaction score
I can only speak as to Terminators, which did not come with a boot from the factory. The two designs look completely different on the car. One the edge fits partially on top of the body trim, which IMHO looks way better, and the other fits in the well (see photos). Early on there were some complaints that the over body trim boot would fly off a highway speeds, but this seemed to be because the clips for the sides were not properly attached. You need to feel under the cover to get them right. I only drive mine top down with the boot on and never in the my last two decades of ownership has mine come off.

As to terminology, what we are talking about is a Parade Boot, sometimes confused with a Tonneau cover which covers the entire interior compartment with some having a zip out section for just the driver.

top boot 2.jpgtop boot.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I have the latter. Not a fan of it. I’ll run it for now but I’m looking out for the earlier version. Problem is they are rediculously expensive.

The earlier one just looks better fitting with how it seats against the convertible well trim.

Last edited:

4 cruzen

Reaction score
My o4 GT original boot is the firm one with the round snaps (1 on each front of the vinyl cover) that snap into a male button. There is a firm plastic price that tucks in behind the back seat to hold it in place.

MUSTANGMAN95

Reaction score
HI; I have a boot that I just bought off a 94 gt and it's just like your pic w/one snap on each front! I installed the snaps on my 95 GT panel, works ok ! Not happy with fit under rear panel, not uniform fit (gaps) Boot prices are up now , about $300 to $700, got mine for $250 shipped, like new, been stored since 94!
MUSTANGMAN95

MUSTANGMAN95

Reaction score
HI; I have a boot that I just bought off a 94 gt and it's just like your pic w/one snap on each front! I installed the snaps on my 95 GT panel, works ok ! Not happy with fit under rear panel, not uniform fit (gaps) Boot prices are up now , about $300 to $700, got mine for $250 shipped, like new, been stored since 94!
MUSTANGMAN95

TrickVert

Reaction score
If it has snaps, it may have been *on* a '94, but it wasn't *made for* a '94.
Glad it's working for you, though.

PNW Mike

Reaction score
Side question... I always through that the "parade boot" was a term for a hard cover used on older convertibles so that in a parade someone could sit on the hard boot with their feet on the bottom of the back seat and be seen while doing the "parade wave" - (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist...).

The only covers I've seen on an SN95 are the soft ones, which I've always heard referred to as simply a cover or a soft cover. If there was an option for a hard cover that would be potentially interesting, though I've never even tried to install the soft cover that came with mine even once, so yeah. I just drop the top and enjoy the drive (well, when ever I can with our weather around here...) and then the top goes right back up again when I park. If I had a garage to store it in, that would be different, but that's a topic for a different thread that mostly contains complaining about the sad state of the economy and my lack of $$$. :)

96 PONY

Reaction score
When I bought my '96 a couple summers ago, it came with the first type. The dude referred to it as a "Parade Cover" and my understanding was that came from the factory with it
I have the "parade" cover for my '96 GT. PITA as it does not fit in the trunk.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
If it has snaps, it may have been *on* a '94, but it wasn't *made for* a '94.
Glad it's working for you, though.

Agreed. In researching all this I clearly found the distinction in the owners manuals describing the process of installation. The clip in style is 94-00 and the snaps is 01-04.

Only other difference I have found is that the 03/04 cobra parade boot is a different material to match the material the cobra top was made from.

I have a top from an 01 cobra. Not sure if this is the same as the 01-04 GT top material but I assume so

IMG_6132.jpeg

MustangMike

Reaction score
Looking for info on the boot covers used during the SN95 run. I believe there are two styles, possible 3. Still researching this, but long story short I purchased what I believe is the correct cover, but I don't think it is now.

I think there was a 94-00 cover, which looked something like this. It's a little more rigid and has two pairs of clips near the front area.

View attachment 29709

I beleive the 2000-2004 covers look like this, using a single snap in the front that attaches to the interior quarter trim plastic
View attachment 29710

I think the materials may have changed a bit, with the 03/04 cobras getting cover that closely matched their top material.

My question is, are these tops standard when you purchase a convertible, or is it an option? Reason I ask is because if the 2000-2004 boots use the snap method to secure it, my panels don't have the required snaps. Looking at the designs of the two boots, the later one seems more flimsy, only being secured by the part that tucks behind the rear seat, and the two snaps. The earlier one seems to have more tabs to help secure it.

My boot is off a 2001 cobra, and i'm on the fence if i want to install the required snap studs into my panels, or sell it and track down a 94-00 boot with the more secure method?

Can anyone with the later boot comment on how it secures and how sturdy it is at 70MPH? I know these boots can be a PITA but my headliner is getting sunfaded up near the header and I'd rather cover up the parchment top when it's down, as the black boot looks nicer than the parchment top IMHO.
I have both a 94 Mustang Convertible and a 03 Convertible, the 94 has the first boot picture and the 03 has the second boot picture with the snap. For what it is worth, I have had the boot on the 03 come of multiple times driving on the highway and the 94 has never come off. The snaps on the 03 do not seem to hold the cover on secure enough at highway speeds at times.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I picked up these snaps, just to try this out.

Got some adhesive backed ones. They snap in tightly but my fear is they won’t release and they will just pull off the panel. But the purpose here it so try this boot out before I permanently mount snaps

IMG_6133.jpeg

If I decide I’m ok with this style, I’ll use this version
IMG_6134.jpeg

They both grab very tightly, so we will see how it works. I like the 94-00 version better, but cheapest one I see for sale right now is over $400 plus ship. I got this one for under $200

But stupid question, the other set of snaps inboard are for storage and holding it together. How does it fold to take advantage of this? I can’t quite figure that out.
IMG_6139.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online