Tire Sticky Thread. Everyone POST!!!

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Re: Proposed Tire Sticky Thread. Everyone POST!!!

Car : 1998 V6
Rear End: stock 2.73 open differential
5sp or Auto: 4R70W Auto
Wheel Size: 17x8

Front Tires

Brand: BFGoodrich
Model: G-Force T/A KDWS
Price: $129 (Tire Rack)
Size: 245/45/R17
Tire specs-
Treadwear: 400
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Wheel style and size: 17" 1998 GT, 17x8
Primary use (drag, auto-x, street, snow, ect.): Street
Miles on tires: bought used, unknown, ~80 myself
Pros:tires look great, turn in is solid, no squeeling, non directionals for rotating
Cons: suffer from bumpsteer
Final thoughts/Will you buy again?: although they are great tires, there are a couple options i'd rather have for the $130 price

Rear Tires

Brand: Riken
Model: Raptor ZR
Price: $99
Size: 245/45/R17
Tire specs-
Treadwear: 300
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Wheel style and size: 17" 1998 GT, 17x8
Primary use (drag, auto-x, street, snow, ect.): street
Miles on tires: bought used, unknown, ~80 myself
Pros: tread pattern looks awesome, cheap, made by Michelin
Cons: i gained quite a bit of snap oversteer
Final thoughts/Will you buy again?: they're a good cheap tire, but i'd see myself spending a little more money for something nicer once these wear down

tater302

Reaction score

2000 GT Convertible
4.10 Gears
17x10.5 Deep Dish wheels
315/45/17 Nitto DR's
Love the tires, they hook up nice at the strip or just playing at a red light. but they can get a little loose in the rain.

sneaky98gt

Reaction score

Car: 1998 Mustang GT
Rear End: 3.27s
5sp or Auto: Auto
Wheel Size: 17"
Tire Size: 245/45-17
Tire Make: Nankang NS-1

This tire was only on my car for a short period of time, and only when the car was 100% bone stock. The car was/is a daily driver, with a small amount of drag strip duty. These tires SUCKED. Period. Wet traction was horrible; I could break the car loose at 45 mph on a wet road. Dry traction was bad as well; I could only cut a 2.20 60' at the track, and that wasn't a normal occurrence. It would smoke the tires if I just mashed it from a dead stop with no brake. Keep in mind that this is a stock, auto, NPI GT. I can't really say about cornering because I never did enough to test the limits of the tire. What was worst about them, though, was the tread wear. Less than 10,000 miles and 10 passes at the strip and about half of the tread was gone.

Bottom line: These tires suck in all ways possible, and I will NEVER buy these tires again, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone, for any reason. Keep away from them.

Tire Size: 255/40-17
Tire Make: Nitto NT555

This tire has been on my car since it was bone stock, up until now that I have the supercharger on making 325 rwhp and 335 rwtq. Once again, the car is a daily driver with some track duty. Dry traction is great. With full bolts, PI cams, and PI intake, I could very regularly cut 2.05 60' times. On a cool day at the track (60 degrees), I could build it up to 2000 rpm, drop the brake, smack the gas, and it would dead hook. Any higher RPM and the car would bog. In other words, the tire isn't the limit of that 2.05 60' time; the car's power is. Just smacking the gas from a stop with no brake results in a very small amount of wheel spin. Now, with the supercharger, I can still say that they do relatively good. I haven't gone to the strip yet, but I intend to soon. While they will go up in a cloud of smoke if I smack it from a stop, if I quickly roll into the throttle, they do perfectly fine. I can go WOT by 10 mph and they will keep traction. Keep in mind that at 10 mph, the car is making a good bit over 300 lb-ft of torque on the wheels. I can go WOT instantly at any speed over about 15 mph and keep traction. Wet traction is also great. It is driven in the rain quite a bit, and I have never once hyrdoplaned, even on the interstate at 70+ mph in the rain. Tread wear is also great. This set has about 20,000 miles and 150 passes at the strip (with small, 5 second first gear burnouts), and I'd say they still have over half tread left. They are relatively quiet tires as well; I don't even notice them at all. I don't know how to judge the comfort, but I have gotten compliments on how nicely they ride from people that know a lot about cars and Mustangs in particular.

Bottom line: I love these tires, and I would highly recommend them to anyone with a car that is driven a lot, although not in the snow. One of the best tires in its price range.

Car: 2004 Mach 1
Rear End: 3.55s
Tire Size: 275/40-17
Tire Make: Nitto NT555

This is my granddad's car. Driven mainly on weekends and sunny days. Normally driven hard (in a straight line) when it is driven, though. Wet traction, tread wear, comfort and noise are the same as Nittos mentioned above. Dry traction: even better than the ones on my car, because of the extra width. Without standing on the brake, this car will not spin. Even if you get the tires smoking at a high rpm, after you let off the brake, it will hook up within a couple of seconds and back down at about 4000 rpm. On a street road, in cool weather, I can build it up to about 2000 rpm, drop the brake, smack the gas, and it will not spin a lick. The car will actually shake when it hooks. Very impressive. Going WOT from a dead stop, it will not spin any at all.

Bottom line: a great hooking tire with a plenty of grip for its tread life and price range. Certainly hard to beat. They will definitely be the next brand/size of tire that I buy for my car.

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score

COME ON GUYS UPDATE THIS

ReplicaR

Reaction score

I'll add another one

Car : 94 Mustang GT
Rear End: 3.08
5sp or Auto: 5 Speed
Wheel Size: 17x9
Tire Size: 275/40R17
Tire Make: Toyo Proxes RA1

I bought these tires for competition use only. While the tires were not in use, they were stored in a dark garage, in the black bag to avoid any unnecessary heat cycles. The tires were bought at full tread, and use exclusively at the track events. Though the course of me using them, I've notices that as they were starting to wear down, they would pick up in grip and endurance. The tires wore fairly even, with out any irregularities. I even got a chance to do a few rain events while they were still at about 6/32nd tread depth, and I was pleasantly surprised about how much grip they offered in the rain. I can honestly say that I could push the car 80% as hard as I would in the dry.

mustangspartan

Reaction score
Car - 88gt
Rear - 3.73 locker
Tranny - Manual
Wheel size - 17x9
Tire size - 255/40/17 nitto 555

Great tire!! Got them from american muscle within a few days of my order mounted and balanced then comenced the shreading.. To my best work on a stock suspension she was like glue everwhere i went. Wet performance still felt like glue had to work to break them in any turn i went into.. Didnt do hardcore driving but fun driving.. These were also DD tires and they wore great no noise and i really cant say anything bad about them. For the money on 17s they cant be beat PERIOD!!

Tire size 275/40/17 nitto drag radial

I got 10K out of them !!!!!!!!!! :tongue3: many burnouts and donuts they held well and true. Had easy breaking it from a stop on wet conditions but was in SHOCK :thumbsup: when in second gear and she would grip on WOT! car dynoed at 260 rwhp (not a lot but still was happy in rain) Would need a little warm up to take a good dig race but if you were rolling around for a few miles no matter what you were gripping. Still good for corners better then i would have assumed..

Loved these tires and would only run them if i had the money.. Looking for 18s now and other brands are cheaper and i need DD tires for now.. Will get them again when the cash is flowing..

Sambo1987

Reaction score
1997 V6 Coupe
2.73 Gears (Open diff.) - Daily Driver
17x9 and 18x10 Bullitts
Manual Trans
255/40/17 and 285/35/18
Amazing grip unless starting from dead stop while turning corners (probably more to do with open diff than anything) once they're warmed up just stick like glue. Very quiet. Haven't had a chance to try them in the rain yet as it hasn't rained in 6 months.. Tread seems to be holding up well after 5000 or so. Would recommend but will probably be trying something else out in the future. Only complaint was price, but definitely worth it.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
1998 GT 'vert
4.10's
17x9/10.5 FR500's- 245/45/17 - 315/35/17
5spd
Rear tires: Vredestein Sessantas- Ultra sticky (wet and dry) street tire. Great ride quality. Tires have about 30k on them.
Front tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE760 sport- Love them so far. Excellent cornering. Great water shedding. 1k on them.

Definitely think the Bridgestones are much better than the BFG's I had before. Highly recommend the Vredestein's for the rear.

John Nich

Reaction score
Car : 1998 mustang Convertible
Rear End: 2.73 stock
Wheel Size: 17"x8"
Tire Size: 245/45/R17
Tire Make: Falken Ziex ZE-912

After buying my car the first thing i needed was a new set of tires because the previous owner had a different tire on all four corners, so I was looking for something decent yet cheap. So the tire shop guy told me about how he runs falkens on his mustang and they're a great tire for the price. So i bought them. My first impression was WOW they're quiet. this is a huge plus for convertibles since we hear everything. after the first hundred miles I thought they were great, They're a pretty soft tire, and Held traction well in dry conditions, but the first rain, I hydroplaned at like less than 30mph on an off ramp of a highway and nearly went into the railing but recovered. The rears would also spin like a motherfucker. I was told this was due to the release agent of the tires not completely being worn off because after a few hundred more miles i've had to made evasive maneuvers in wet conditions at 50+ mph as well as hard braking and they held well and don't slip easily, But as for snow, .....Falken markets these tires as "all weather" but...that's bullshit. If you like your car or your life don't use these in the snow or ice, there isn't much tread to bite into the snow so it'd just get compacted into the grooves and turn them into slicks basically. I was doing deliveries for my job at the time, and it was snowing about 1 or two inches, ..... The car was all over the place. even starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear the rears would spin and the slightest tap of the pedals would spin them or lock the tires up,

So overall.. they're a good tire for Light rain or dry conditions. Just get a set of snow tires/wheels Though the tread does wear rather quickly.

5ptSlow

Reaction score
Car : 95 Mustang GT 'vert
Rear End: 3.27 (stock)
5sp or Auto: 5 spd.
Wheel Size: 17x9 front/17x9 rear
Tire Size: 245/40/17 (front) 275/40/17 (rear)
Tire Make: Continental ExtremeContact DW (fronts) - Sumitomo HTRZII (rear)

The only thing I can say for now is the Sumi's. They're just OKAY. Not great, not terrible, but right in the middle. Wet handling is decent but not what I'd expect, they don't grip well in corners, but the launch is alright. 5/10

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Conti DWs as a lot of Mustang (newer) and GT500 owners use these tires and like/love them. I took them trough one of my sidewinding roads near my place, and they handle well in corners. Wet traction has been good so far, since it just rained/sleeted/whatever-it-did. So far I like them!

sn95jones

Reaction score
Car : 95 Mustang GT 'vert
Rear End: 3.27 (stock)
5sp or Auto: 5 spd.
Wheel Size: 17x9 front/17x9 rear
Tire Size: 245/40/17 (front) 275/40/17 (rear)
Tire Make: Continental ExtremeContact DW (fronts) - Sumitomo HTRZII (rear)

The only thing I can say for now is the Sumi's. They're just OKAY. Not great, not terrible, but right in the middle. Wet handling is decent but not what I'd expect, they don't grip well in corners, but the launch is alright. 5/10

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Conti DWs as a lot of Mustang (newer) and GT500 owners use these tires and like/love them. I took them trough one of my sidewinding roads near my place, and they handle well in corners. Wet traction has been good so far, since it just rained/sleeted/whatever-it-did. So far I like them!

You revived a 2 year old thread.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Car: 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra convertible.
Rear end: IRS with 4:30 gears and a Tru Trac diff
Trans: Viper T56 6 speed

Wheel sizes: 17X9 front
17X10.5 rear.

Tire brand and sizes: Micherlin PS1 275/40/17 front
Micherlin PS1 335/35/17 rear

Review: The Micherlin PS1's are excellent. Quiet on the long trips and good all around handling and off the line traction. The PS1's have only been on my car for 6000 miles, but they are wearing nice.
My only gripe with this tires is the high price.

One thing on the 335's. They just barly fit on the back end of my Cobra! If micherlin had a 315, I would have gone with that instead, but after some modifications, I got the 335's to work with out rubbing.
8475566752_8af7480fd9_b.jpg

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Car : 1996 SVT Cobra
Rear End: 8.8" limited slip 4.10 gears
5sp or Auto: t-45 5-speed
Wheel Size: 17x8"
Tire Size: 275/40/17
Tire Make: Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

freaking awesome. handles great in dry and wet, tread looks mean. bulges a bit on stock 8" wide wheels but just adds to the muscle car look. not entirely too expensive. two rear tires installed and balanced came to $275

Goldmember

Reaction score
Car: 2004 GT

Rear: stock

Trans: stock 5-speed

Tire: Cooper Zeon RS3 245/45/17 on stock 17x8 wheels

Cooper is under the Goodyear brand umbrella. If you're thinking quality American tire, think again, right on the sidewall "Made in China."

Ride quality: D+ They slam into bumps with zero impact absorption. Feels a lot like an old beat-up Fox body.

Handling C Cornering limits quite low but they break away predictably.

Dry traction B- Quick parking lot escapes will get instant tirespin. Nothing remarkable here.

Wet traction B- Again nothing remarkable, at least they don't hydroplane. Yet... I've had them on for less than 5k so far.

Noise D I can hear them over my exhaust at 70 mph in Third.

These tires are shit. If you like the OE Goodyear Gatorback/ZR45 then you will love these. They will cause you to hate driving your car and possibly cause you to punch babies. $125/tire is attractive when $ is tight but you get what you pay for. I wouldn't use these ****in hoops for playground swings, to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rallim

Reaction score
Car : 95 GT
Rear End: 3.08's
5sp or Auto: 5 sp
Wheel Size: 17
Tire Size: 245
Tire Make: Hankook Optimo All Seasons

Grip sucked in dry, grip sucked in wet, they didn't make much smoke.

Tire Size: 225
Tire Make: Yokohama All Seasons

Very slippery with a good amount of control. Didn't make much smoke but predictable handling.

Tire Size: 215
Tire Make: Bridgestone Somethings

They made lots of smoke. Not much traction though.

Tire Size: 235
Tire Make: Falken Ziex 512

Excellent tire for the money. I've yet to understeer on track with them, and they have a ton of grip.

I can't remember what else I've run that's worth mentioning right now.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Car : 2004 mach 1
Rear End: 3.55's
5sp or Auto: 5 speed
Wheel Size: 17x8
Tire Size: front 255/40/17 rear 275/40/17
Tire Make: nitto nt555

overall one of the better tires I've had on any of my stangs. Good in cold weather, good In wet conditions. Good grip and decent tread life.

Thyme

Reaction score
Car: '97 GT
Rear End: 3.27 with stock Trac-Lock and 3.55 with Eaton Detroit True-Trac LSD
5sp or Auto: 5 spd
Wheel Size: 18x8.5 Front, 18x10 Rear
Tire Size: 255/35 275/35
Tire Make: Federal SS595

Decent cheapo summer tires, can and will break loose easily in the rain up to 2nd on a stock motor, with both gear sets that I've had in the car. If you're on a budget I'd say they're an alright choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online