Tire Suggestions

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
As Winter is approaching, I'm forced to start looking at new tires for my 96 Cobra (my daily driver). I'm in Arkansas, usually have temps in the teens, sometimes single digit at night during the coldest part of the winter. We usually get a couple snows a year, usually only a few inches. I'm gonna do my best to stay off the roads when it snows/ices. Usually they they have the roads cleared within a day, so it shouldn't be bad. I've currently go Nitto 555's, not sure they will do what I need. I really can't afford a set of winter tires, so I'm really looking at some all seasons. I'm not sure on sizes, but the ones I'm looking at right now are the BFG G-Force A/S and the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S. Any opinions on those or suggestions on others? I'd like a wide tire to help with traction, but a narrower tire would probably be more suitable. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
I just bought a set of Riken "Raptors". (300 treadwear rating) Riken is now owned by Michelin. These are a directional tire and I think are considered a summer tire. They spin real smooth on the balancer are fantastic in the rain.

They run about $100/tire. Check'em out.

GT

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I'm not set on a price range. I'll spend what I have to spend. I know I'd be really mad at myself if I went cheap on tires then ran the Mystic into a wall because I lost traction. I'd rather be safe than sorry. All I've seen on the Goodyears have been great, with Toyo Proxes 4 close behind. I'd like some more feedback before I spend the money on them. Also, how will performance at the track be with the mentioned tires compared to my current Nittos? Thanks!

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Well, they are a new tire so, for the track.... ??? What is the treadwear rating for the Nitto's?, That's a good place to start. If the Nitto's have a rating down around the 200-250 range, the Nitto's grip on the track is obviously going to be a little better.

The Raptor ZR's I bought have a "Z" speed rating with a "W" suffix. They keep their shape up to about 168 mph. The only higher speed rating is a "Z" rating with a "Y" suffix. That's good to about 186 mph. So it's got a pretty stout carcass to it.

Mine is a DD so I try to get a high speed rated tire with a little harder compound for longevity.
By all means..... shop around. Good Luck.

GT

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
I've looked at ratings, but I've been told that each manufacturer sets their own, so you really can't compare company a to company b. Either way, here's what I've gathered.
GY's
Specifications:
Treadwear: 420
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: Z
Nittos
Specifications:
Treadwear: 300
The Goodyears rate quite a bit better, but I've been told that they will last ~30,000 miles (which is what I've seen people get out of Nittos).

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
ArkansasMystic said:
I've looked at ratings, but I've been told that each manufacturer sets their own, so you really can't compare company a to company b. Either way, here's what I've gathered.
GY's
Specifications:
Treadwear: 420
Nittos
Specifications:
Treadwear: 300
The Goodyears rate quite a bit better, but I've been told that they will last ~30,000 miles (which is what I've seen people get out of Nittos).

The tire's wear, traction & temp ratings are supposed to be tested by an independant lab. The 100 treadwear "benchmark" rating was a standard that was set with a bias-ply tire. A 200 rating would be a tire with 2X the treadwear of the 100 and 300 3X that and so on, and so on. It's pretty much there for the consumer.

The tires I had before the Raptors were the Kelly "Fierce" UHP Z/W rated summer tire. 420 wear rating and I got 54K+ out of them.

I'm not trying to sell these but, I used to be a tire techie. Your doing the right thing. I always research anything I put on my cars.

GT

OP
OP
A

ArkansasMystic

Reaction score
I've been told that they companies could claim what they wanted, at least to an extent. When I asked a tire rep how many miles to expect out of the GY's and he said 30k, that's the same as my Nittos (car was my brothers, he was in FL/CA for several years using the Nittos). After that I just began ignoring the treadwear. I have kept an eye on speed ratings though. I really think I'm over-complicating things. I think the Nittos will be fine, but just wanna make sure I'm making the right choice, because as a college student with a part time job $700 for tires isn't exactly easy to get. Thanks!

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Yea. The you have to take the treadwear rating w/ a grain of salt. If you drive on the more aggressive side, your naturally going to wear any tire down quicker. With mine being a DD and I'm now 47, my driving habits are a bit more reserved than they were at 17 with a 400 hp '69 Road Runner. I had very trusting parents at the time. That car was a BEAST!

GT

95 BLOWN GT

Reaction score
for winter tires with alot of snow wouldnt you want a narrower tire rather than a wide one?
to cut through the snow better?

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
A little narrower would help somewhat. Snows are probably easier to find in the 15" and 16" also. If you want to shell out for the Blizzaks in a 17", thats good too. The best thing for better traction in snow is the addition of 75 to 100 lbs. of weight in the rear. A good set of all season radials with the added weight might surprise you.

GT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online