To buy or not to buy? USED SCT X3

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I already know its unmarried. I'm not going to find another one for 150 bucks.

I really need one but I know if I buy a used one I won't have the free tunes for life.

I mainly need it to turn my o2 sensors off. Will the 3 preloaded tunes do this?
Will I be able to adjust my speedo for gears without buying the tunes?
Until I can buy into the free tune program will the preloaded tunes suffice?

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
SCT is the company that makes the tuner so yea they have nothing to do with Bamas tunes for life.

The tunes that come on the tuner from SCT will give you the ability to turn off the rear 02s and will be good enough tunes for right now.. Although I see you have a 90mm Maf. Your car runs fine? this a Lightning Maf?

And no this tuner will not be able to adjust for the gears in the car. That ability is not capable until 1999. You will need a mechanical gear for behind the speedo.. Ill shoot you what you need in a sec

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Ok I gotcha. Same gears I had to get for my fox. Someone told me that 98s are ECU controlled. I've been using a HUD iphone app anyway.
But the tuner sounds like just what I need for now. I checked part numbers on the MAF and it's a stock sensor on an 80mm or something housing. I didn't have time to take it apart. But the PREV owner told me it was a 90. I keep proving that I cant trust a word he said. Hopefully I have 4:10s in the car. Hah

EDIT. The car pulls almost as hard as my 347 stroker fox. But the power band isn't very long. When I changed the plugs they were bright white and melted to a .70 gap. It's running way lean or was. Since then I've found a few vacuum leaks and made some MIL eliminators and it's a beast now. Still think it could use a little more fuel. But hopefully what I think is an 80mm MAF with the stock sensor isn't the AFratio issue.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
^ if it is a 90mm maf and isnt calibrated for.. it could be a large issue. Really depends on what it is..

But glad you are fixing little things on the car to make it run better

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
^ if it is a 90mm maf and isnt calibrated for.. it could be a large issue. Really depends on what it is..

But glad you are fixing little things on the car to make it run better

I plan on pulling it apart and putting the micrometer to it when it's not 10 degrees outside. I'm so over this snow and sub freezing temps. I'll get back with my findings ASAP.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
yea this winter has been quite harsh

This is my daily driver and what's weird is after I posted my last post about it being cold, I walk outside to 2" of snow on my pony!!!!! Im on the east coast in Maryland. I can't remember it ever being this cold for this long. We had record 9* temp a couple weeks ago.
My tires won't stick to the pavement in 3rd gear. And it's a NPI... I want summer back.

decipha

Reaction score
none of the can tunes will disable the o2 sensors, to do so will force open loop

if the engine is running lean the last thing you want to do is disable the o2s

if your getting lean o2 codes and you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator then go kick up the fuel pressure, i recommend 55psi

the "correct" way to do this is to actually get a tune for your meter, no doubt its causing your issues

if you've melted plugs your engine isn't very happy at all and the more you beat on it the more harm your doing to the engine

shoot me an email if you want some recommendations

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
So I ended up getting a used SCT x3 BAMA that was used on an 01 v6. Plugged it in, programmed my car and did a strategy tune. I set it for 93 octane, which I was told advances the timing some. Then I was able to turn my rear o2 sensors off which enriched my af ratio, adjusted my idle, tweaked my elec fan and just with this BS makeshift tune I'm spinning through third gear. The motor is very happy. Spinning wheels at 60mph in third gear is a great feeling.

none of the can tunes will disable the o2 sensors, to do so will force open loop

if the engine is running lean the last thing you want to do is disable the o2s

if your getting lean o2 codes and you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator then go kick up the fuel pressure, i recommend 55psi

the "correct" way to do this is to actually get a tune for your meter, no doubt its causing your issues

if you've melted plugs your engine isn't very happy at all and the more you beat on it the more harm your doing to the engine

shoot me an email if you want some recommendations

Found out I have a stock 80mm MAF. It looked big and its aluminum. I thought the factory ones for the 4.6 gt were plastic. So I'm good to go on that. Cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol to be safe. Injectors are yellow 19# as we'll.

I had to turn the o2s off because I have an off road H and MIL elims I made and didn't really do what they were supposed to. The burnt plugs were from a combination of the previous owner creating vacuum leaks by not installing a couple important gaskets and the cattless h pipe throwing the fuel mix off.

I pulled a plug out after cruising around all day with the new tune and no CELs!! It was a beautiful light brown NGK.

I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT A CUSTOM TUNE DOES! And it's not even pi swapped yet.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
congrats man! Glad its running better and it was just stupid shit from the previous owner messing up the car!

It had a trick flow TB and plenum and when he installed it I guess he figured the IACV and EGR gaskets weren't essential. I've seen worse but damn I was mad after trying to hunt that vacuum leak down for a week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online