Torque converter questions.

GenevaStang

Reaction score

Trying to decide on what kind of torque converter would be best for the car. Looking closely at 2 options. Trying to decide if a sprag/Diode TC or a spragless unit would be better.

The spragless one would be a custom built 9" from Champion Racing Transmissions (Who is the one building my TH400)
http://www.crtracingtransmissions.co...converters.php

My other options are the off the shelf that are either 8" or 10" TC from PTC.
http://www.ptcrace.com/torque-converter-p-1249.html
http://www.ptcrace.com/toyota-torque...er-p-1263.html

The car will be raced at 3,000lbs and be on motor/Small (200ish) shot for a while and eventually up to around a 400 shot.

Any info you guys have or advice would be great. Thanks
:dancing-trooper::chewie:

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Hmm.. [MENTION=14656]Musturd[/MENTION] [MENTION=10623]330CubeGt[/MENTION] These guys might be able to help you out

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd get the converter from who's building your tranny personally . When I do go auto it's going to be either a th400 for a sbf or a lentech aod

OP
OP
G

GenevaStang

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking too. I just havent heard much about their TC's I know that they build a badass transmission though so getting a deal on a custom stall spragless from him would be sweet too. Figured a spragless would be better since they are more consistent/reliable and my class only runs an 1/8 mile so I wont see the ET and MPH dropoff that they tend to have in the 1/4..

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I think i would go spragless, Just my opinion. I have some input but on a entry level automatic/stall perspective... To make my life easier posting a reply I went ahead and found the perfect explanation to help you make your decision..

In my opinion again, I think I would try out a Circle D converter, Or something from FTI. There also big names in the industry and both stand behind there product and are in the same price range as the links you have posted above.

1. Spragless
Pros - If you couple it with a steel stator it is almost indestructible, and with noting to slip they are very consistent. For 1/8 mile almost no ET or MPH difference.
Cons - 1/4 mile ET and MPH loss, even with the best.

2. Sprag
Pros - Better ET and MPH over a Spragless in the 1/4
Cons - They can slip and cause inconsistencies, or break and cause havoc.

3. Diode
Much the same advantages as a sprag, and usually without the destructive or slipping issues a sprag can have. I say usually, I have a TS converter that "failed" twice with the MD, not sure what the failure was but was told it was the diode. Second time I had it changed to be spragless. Lost a tenth and 2-3 MPH.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online