Tracking down prior owner information?

Venompower

Reaction score
So I've been thinking a lot about the mystery that is my Cobra. The car has just about everything you could think of adding:

- Procharger P-1SC HO w/ Upgraded Intercooler
- VMP Blow Through MAF
- 42 lbs./hour injectors
- Full Exhaust, BBK LT headers, BBK Off-Road H-Pipe
- Team-Z Tubular K-Member
- Front Coil overs
- Quick Time Bellhousing
- McLeod Clutch
- TKO600
- Aluminum Driveshaft
- 4.10 gears
- Subframe Connectors
- Cervini's Cobra R hood with Hood Pins

The part that leaves me baffled is this... everyone knows the weak link in the 96-98 Cobra are the rods and pistons. So you would think if someone was going to invest the money to do everything above, they would want to bullet proof the engine. The engine has had the upper intake manifold powder coated, as well as the valve covers... which seems like a lot of work for purely cosmetic reasons when everything else done to the car has been performance related. It does seem like something you might do, while the engine is apart to have forged internals put in. So, what would you do? I know pulling the oil pan would be a start to take a look at the rods and potentially the underside of the pistons to try and identify them... but I haven't even had time to do control arms.

So I was trying to search for this car online, assuming the previous owner for having done all of this would likely have been on forums but haven't found anything. How would you go about trying to track down names of previous owners? The car had DynoTune MP stickers on it, but the owner advised he saves tunes by name and without knowing the previous owners name he can't provide much information.

cobra4.jpg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Most Cobra owners that throw a centri on their car, leave the engine internals stock. While that puts the internals close to the limit, they usually last a long time. As far as the PC parts, that is very common as well. I removed and powder coated mine in a weekend. It's rather easy to remove the valve covers and upper plenum and have them powder coated.
Neither one of those things (the centri or the PC)would lead me to think their are any internal mods.

It's very common in 96-98 Cobra community.
If you could tell me the build number of the car, I could possibly find some history on it.
Looks like a clean car, under the hood.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Most Cobra owners that throw a centri on their car, leave the engine internals stock. While that puts the internals close to the limit, they usually last a long time. As far as the PC parts, that is very common as well. I removed and powder coated mine in a weekend. It's rather easy to remove the valve covers and upper plenum and have them powder coated.
Neither one of those things (the centri or the PC)would lead me to think their are any internal mods.

It's very common in 96-98 Cobra community.
If you could tell me the build number of the car, I could possibly find some history on it.
Looks like a clean car, under the hood.

I would lean more towards doing it just for cosmetics if anything else had been done, but that is literally the only thing that has gotten cosmetic attention lol. Not sure where to find build number?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You could pull a spark plug and look down the hole with a camera, you’ll get a look at the pistons in there.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Build Number is 672

I don't have any info on that one, sorry.

I started a list many moons ago over on SVTP, but no previous owners reported with your car.
If you now have all your info, I can add you to the list if you want.
That goes for anyone else on here with a 96-98 Cobra too.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I don't have any info on that one, sorry.

I started a list many moons ago over on SVTP, but no previous owners reported with your car.
If you now have all your info, I can add you to the list if you want.
That goes for anyone else on here with a 96-98 Cobra too.
I would love to be added, SVT also directed me to specialvehicleregistry.com that they have started to archive vehicles.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I would love to be added, SVT also directed me to specialvehicleregistry.com that they have started to archive vehicles.

Just message back on here with your cars info.
Build date and built #
Car color/interior color
Coupe or vert
The 2 names on the valve cover
It's all written out in the first post of that thread.

Mr horsepower

Reaction score
So I've been thinking a lot about the mystery that is my Cobra. The car has just about everything you could think of adding:

- Procharger P-1SC HO w/ Upgraded Intercooler
- VMP Blow Through MAF
- 42 lbs./hour injectors
- Full Exhaust, BBK LT headers, BBK Off-Road H-Pipe
- Team-Z Tubular K-Member
- Front Coil overs
- Quick Time Bellhousing
- McLeod Clutch
- TKO600
- Aluminum Driveshaft
- 4.10 gears
- Subframe Connectors
- Cervini's Cobra R hood with Hood Pins

The part that leaves me baffled is this... everyone knows the weak link in the 96-98 Cobra are the rods and pistons. So you would think if someone was going to invest the money to do everything above, they would want to bullet proof the engine. The engine has had the upper intake manifold powder coated, as well as the valve covers... which seems like a lot of work for purely cosmetic reasons when everything else done to the car has been performance related. It does seem like something you might do, while the engine is apart to have forged internals put in. So, what would you do? I know pulling the oil pan would be a start to take a look at the rods and potentially the underside of the pistons to try and identify them... but I haven't even had time to do control arms.

So I was trying to search for this car online, assuming the previous owner for having done all of this would likely have been on forums but haven't found anything. How would you go about trying to track down names of previous owners? The car had DynoTune MP stickers on it, but the owner advised he saves tunes by name and without knowing the previous owners name he can't provide much information.

View attachment 19352
Start with who you acquired the vehicle from and work your way backward. There are some specific online search engines that will provide you with previous registration information for a fee. I have never used them so can't tell you how accurate / reliable they are.

BTW the stock 96-98 Cobra internals are good to 450hp, maybe 500hp with a conservative tune and assuming you run it on good fuel. I've watched a dozen people I know put blowers on these cars when they were new and they ran fine. Then some got greedy and added timing / increased boost and knocked the rods out of them.

I had a 98 Cobra with a Vortech SC trim full kit, MAS air meter, 3:73s and aluminum driveshaft. I wiped out the clutch and 1 axle right after the blower install. Upgraded to HD clutch and strange axles and never had issues with it again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online