trans case damage would it seal again?

tormentor666

Reaction score
Hey fellas, this is my first post, too bad is a question lol.
The thing is that i took off my pan to replace a solenoid but when I placed the pan back the bolts struggled with the damn gasket so i pressed more than i had to and i stripped some bolts, so i had to step to size 10 but while i was re threading this two spots broke and fell. i put rtv and the gasket, but it leaked, buyt the gasket was defective so i dont know which one was the reason. Im thinking to use permatex without a gasket. What you guys think, would it work? Im trying to avoid trans replacement cause my internals are on great shape and i dont have enough money to buy a built one.
Thanks in advance fellas, im also attaching some pan pics.
image_zpsybfba5dz.jpeg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Wow man. This is bad. At this point you would be rigging it up regardless and hope and pray it doesn't leak. Slow leaks kill transmissions. You could try a nice thick bead of RTV all the way around it. Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry and follow the instructions on the package to the T. I've sealed up some stubborn trans pans and oil pans like this. Good luck though, I hope it works out.

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
Hey bro, yeeaah i know, i can't believe it happened, i wanted to hit myself. I just cleaned everything and did a thick bead of right stuff but im not sure if it was enough, I didn't wanted to get to much on the inside . it did squeezed out when i torqued the bolts but not as uniform as i wanted, so what im planning is to clean all the edges and apply ultra black rtv as a second seal. Damn dude i hope i never have to take out that pan again lol.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
If you end up not getting it to seal, there is a group of videos that show you how to tear down and rebuild the 4r70w/aode. It's not hard at all. You could swap you internals into a different case or buy another trans from the junkyard and rebuild it cheap and just replace yours.

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll get a 2800 stall converter this winter so i have to pull her out anyways, im gonna start checking those tutorials, most likely i would swap my internals. I let u know later today how it went.

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
bro, i poured the oil and did not leaked untill i parked it, i went underneath and tighten a bolt and it stopped. im still running tests but im getting OD flashing and epc solenoid shorted code, The solenoids are new i replaced tgem last year so im thinking a loose connection on the harness on the pcm connector, is there a way to re tighten it without removing the pan? i was thinking trough the side. The OD flash comes and go.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ok, well at least it's not leaking right now. That's a good thing. Intermittent codes kind of sounds like a loose connection or a shorted wire to me. Now when you say tighten it, what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about the harness connector that comes out of the transmission?

OP
OP
tormentor666

tormentor666

Reaction score
yeah, at least. yes, the one that comes out from the passenger side. I had that problem last year, i had to tight the black harness on the pcm connection, the pin wasnt making contact, so i was wondering if i could try to give a push through the outside of the pcm connection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online