Transmission

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stupid question, I'm shy about posting it on any track forums....
I drove on a Roush day in Vegas last fall, I'm hooked.
It is FUN, way funner than the drag, and the drag is alot of fun.

There's a big pretty track just built by my house, and my car will be running it regulary. when it ever gets done.
anyway 2 questions.

1. Can you run an auto on a road course, and do any good?
That's the stupid question.

2. Anyone know a place that sells a manual conversion, probably the T-56, with all the parts that go with it?
wondering on the pricing etc.
i Know it needs crossmember, and shorter driveshaft. should also neeed clutch, pedals, ect ect.

Thanks.

96sohc

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I'll give you what I've been told.

When I first visited my local track, VIR, I was hooked and started building my 96 auto for it.
After the next trip I realized that the auto wasn't going to cut it, and kinda dismissed the idea.
However, I was told by my local "guru" if you will, http://www.mustangdon.com that an
auto is sufficient for people learning the track, learning lines, when to brake, when to turn, etc.
However, for competitive events the 5 speed would be a HUGE asset.

With that being said, D&D Transmission sells T56 and I think 5 speed conversion kits.
http://www.ddperformance.com

Bottom line, sign up for a Driver Education course, learn the track and lines, then think
about whether or not you're serious about it, then explore a manual conversion.
Atleast thats what I'd do, given the opportunity.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
an auto is fine for the track; however, if you want to go with a manual, why not go with a built T-5. It will be much cheaper than the t56.

Spyder

Reaction score
Hes planning on doing a built motor and twin hairdryers, so the t56 would be a better option. I only know these things cause i know the man. LOL. Anywho, Dalamar, i would suggest, if you want as much power as your really thinking, get the tranzilla. Look it up, its the new bad ass manny out, and so far i think as far as power capacity, its untouchable.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
95Cali - That's a good point on the tranny. under boost, the power curve will be pretty good, maybe a 5 speed will be sufficient.
How much less are we talking here?
any links on where to get a built T5?

Thanks for the input 96sohc - I should run it first,
the Roush event I went to had a bunch of Roush mustangs... also had a guy in a 98 GT, couple ferrari's,
cobra's (not cobra mustangs), an austin martin V, and a lotus.
the car that did the best was the lotus.
The Austin couldn't keep traction on the turns, he was kinda cocky.
After first session in my buddy's 01, they put me in the intermediate group.
It was alot of fun.

the high end's and cobra's were all experienced drivers.
the mustang that did the best was the 98, he beat all the supercharged roushes, he could corner baby.
He had MM suspension, coil overs, panhard, no torque arm. Big ass brakes. interesting eh!

ddperf has nice stuff - def the palce for t-56's
if you come across a place with all the other parts for the swap. let me know.

Matt- It is way fun, if you get the chance, do it!
the mustang is kinda heavy for that, needs a brake upgrade thats for sure.
My car needs to loose some weight. I also wanna put on the torque arm, it's supposed to
improve handeling a ton over a 4-link setup.
Just more parts I gotta buy.

Spyder

Reaction score
My suggestion for t5's going in a high horse car or one that is gonna be rowing the gears hard would be astro performance. They are they only place i can find that build the g-force t5. As far as t5's go, thats the bad mother in my book.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Let me clarify, when I meant Built T-5, I was referring to a G-Force upgraded T-5. Straight bolt in and solid as a rock. I have been doing a lot of research on 5 speeds and I think the G-force T-5 is top notch. I'm just waiting for mine to go and the order will be in for a G-force!!!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all....

I did a few track days when i was younger but in my RX7 not my Mustang. It was alot of fun but was hard on the brakes/tires etc. If i was to get into it seriously i would build a dedicated track car. My mustang is just too damn heavy to use for that :( so i never tried it.

Another thing i've been contemplating is ditching my auto for a D&D Viper spec T-56.
You can get most of the swap parts from Stangparts.com in Georgia. They used to sell a complete used swap kit for @ 2500.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
96sohc said:
I'm no expert but I'll give you what I've been told.

When I first visited my local track, VIR, I was hooked and started building my 96 auto for it.
After the next trip I realized that the auto wasn't going to cut it, and kinda dismissed the idea.
However, I was told by my local "guru" if you will, http://www.mustangdon.com that an
auto is sufficient for people learning the track, learning lines, when to brake, when to turn, etc.
However, for competitive events the 5 speed would be a HUGE asset.

With that being said, D&D Transmission sells T56 and I think 5 speed conversion kits.
http://www.ddperformance.com

Bottom line, sign up for a Driver Education course, learn the track and lines, then think
about whether or not you're serious about it, then explore a manual conversion.
Atleast thats what I'd do, given the opportunity.

Oh man Ive really wanted to go to VIR but I dont have the first clue on how to get started. What do I need to do? Thanks for any help.

96sohc

Reaction score
First off, where are you located?
I'll be down there the weekend of June 29 - July 2 with the Shelby Convention crewing for my local shop, and perhaps running with NASA the end of July.
Best thing to do is go and watch some events they've got there, then sign up with an organization that runs the track.
Every time I've been the event has been sponsored by NASA
( http://www.nasaracing.net ), do some reading on their websites about HPDE's and such.

EDIT:
I'm in the process of trying to sell my 94, and if I can do that this summer I'm hopefully going to start piecing together a T45 swap for the 96, I'll let yall know when I pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.