Trey "TxCobrA98"'s Forged Internal Rebuild + Vortech - Update Pg 3

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Okay guys/gals, its time that I did a rebuild thread. Some of you may know, I got a "new"ish motor in my car 6 months ago. Well the motor ended up spinning a rod bearing so I am at it again, except this time, im rebuilding the whole short block. The motor burned way to much oil so I will also get the heads rebuilt.

Right now the plan is to just add new rod bearings, main bearings, new piston rings, re-machine the block, get the heads rebuilt with new valve guides/seals, port and polish the heads, and gasket match the intake. I may end up having to get new rods as well, depending how bad the rod bearings are. I will also be doing the IMRC delete this time on the engine.

Anyways, I am not sure really how these rebuilds topics go but I will start it off with what I got done today.

June 11, 2009 -
I didn't really get much done today. It was mainly a day preparing my garage and draining fluids, getting the car jacked up, and getting the hood and wheels off. I did however manage to get the hole top side of the wiring harness undone, the battery out, cold air intake out, and the upper intake manifold off. I also got the coolant reservoir taken off, the drive belt, plug wires, and coolant system out, excluding the radiator.

rebuilld01.jpg

rebuilld02.jpg

rebuilld03.jpg

rebuilld04.jpg

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: Trey "TxCobrA98"'s Forged Internal Rebuild + Vortech

Cool Cool

Back to the guess the car thread lol

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

haha i think im done for the night, i need me a midnight snack and i wanna watch some TV. haven't watched TV in a long time and now im at my parents for a month soo, time to catch up. haha

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Cool man. Good luck with it. 4v rebuild are $$$$$.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

Matt94GT said:
so far so good! you doing it yourself this time?
yep me and my dad.

Paul said:
Cool man. Good luck with it. 4v rebuild are $$$$$.
haha yep, well see how it goes. right now were just planning on main bearings, rod bearings, possibly rods, port and polishing heads, plus rebuilding the heads, and machining the block. well see though.

UPDATE
June 12, 2009 -
well, ive ripped everything out of the car that is required to get the motor out. im pretty proud of myself as ive done all of it on my own so far because my dad has been working. hes off tomorrow though so hes going to help me out on getting the tranny out and the motor pulled. tomorrow, we only have to remove the tranny and take the drive shaft out and the motor will be good to come out.

today, i managed to pull out the whole wiring harness, the lower intake manifold (to get the IMRC module box out from under it), the radiator, the coil packs, EGR lines, AC compressor, power steering lines disconnected, alternator, coolant crossover tube thing, fuel rails, hpipe, headers, starter, and i think thats it. anyways, heres some pics of todays progress.

rebuild05.jpg

rebuild08.jpg

rebuild06.jpg

rebuild07.jpg

pictures rolling in slowly but ill have more as i get more into the motor. enjoy. update to come tomorrow.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score

good work man!

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

Update

June 13, 2009 -
Well, today was a shorter day, didn't get started until 12:30ish or so but we did get everything I wanted to get accomplished so im happy with the progress. We also managed to make a pretty big mess with all the excess fluid that was left in the block but we managed lol. Anyways, today we got the motor out. The tranny is also completely unbolted, just resting on a few jacks. Like usual, the top two tranny bolts gave us a few problems because of their location and how seized up they were to the block but my dad used his strength and broke them loose after messing around with them for a good 15-20 minutes. all in all though, everything went pretty smoothly.

Tomorrow we should have the motor torn apart and pretty much ready to go. So stay tuned for more pictures and info on the rebuild.

rebuild10.jpg

rebuild09.jpg

rebuild12.jpg

rebuild11.jpg

d_punch

Reaction score

looking good

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score

I'm jealous of all you engine rebuild people now. I've been trying to start mine for about 3 years now and always keep getting sidetracked with vacations and other BS.

Looks good ma man! how bout you just take your coilovers off and just send them to my address free of charge!!!!

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score

Coming along nicely.

Just so you know, there are bosses in the head for lifting these monsters in and out.
CARZZZZZ018-vi.jpg

There is one on the right rear corner of the right head.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

Steve-Oh said:
I'm jealous of all you engine rebuild people now. I've been trying to start mine for about 3 years now and always keep getting sidetracked with vacations and other BS.

Looks good ma man! how bout you just take your coilovers off and just send them to my address free of charge!!!!
just get started on it man. youll be glad you did, ive had so much fun these past three days tearing it apart. even though ive done it before, its been pretty fun this go around. and im sorry, but those coilovers are stayin on my car! haha

uncltrvlnmatt said:
Coming along nicely.

Just so you know, there are bosses in the head for lifting these monsters in and out.

There is one on the right rear corner of the right head.
thanks matt, ill keep that in mine for when we put it back in.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

Update

June 14, 2009 -
Okay guys, I have a pretty big update today. The motor is almost totally torn down to just the block. I worked all day today to get this thing nearly ready for the machine shop. The only thing left in the block is the crank and main caps, and thats it! So, overall, I am very happy with what I accomplished today and so far this week.

I also found out for sure that I spun a few rod bearings when I took the oil pan off and the rod bearings themselves. there is a good amount of shavings in the pan and on the oil tube screen. I am glad I caught this and got it taken apart so quickly before I grinded the bearings down anymore.

Anyways, today I got a lot done. Got the water pump off, crank pulley, oil pump, oil filter housing, motor mounts, timing chain cover, timing chains, timing chain guides, chain tensioners, cams, rocker arms, cam cap assemblies, heads, lower intake, knock sensors, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, pistons, rods, and rod bearings. So today was a pretty full day but I am nearly done! just have the crankshaft and main caps left to take out, and the ARP head studs.

Enjoy the pictures, ill also put a few captions on some of the pictures this time.

1) at the start of the morning
rebuild13.jpg

2) lower intake manifold off, right side
rebuild14.jpg

3) left side
rebuild15.jpg

4) front
rebuild16.jpg

5) water pump and crank pulley removed
rebuild17.jpg

6) timing chain cover removed revealing timing chain assembly
rebuild18.jpg

7) timing chain assembly removed
rebuild19.jpg

8) ran out of shelf room so heres some of the parts from today
rebuild20.jpg

9) heres my OTC cam tool kit - must need tool kit when your doing anything with the timing or rebuilding the motor
rebuild21.jpg

10) OTC cam position tool installed on the d-slots of the cam and the cam hold down tool holding both cams in place
rebuild22.jpg

11) oil pan, oil pump, oil pickup tube removed - revealing the crank and internals
rebuild23.jpg

12) mmm forged internals =D
rebuild24.jpg

13) forged internals 2
rebuild25.jpg

14) close-up
rebuild26.jpg

15) ahhh, shavings. =[
rebuild27.jpg

16) more shavings
rebuild28.jpg

17) and even more shavings
rebuild29.jpg

18) okay, does anyone know what this O-ring is? it was in the oil pickup tube screen
rebuild30.jpg

19) cams, secondary chain tensioners and secondary chain removed
rebuild31.jpg

20) right side head
rebuild32.jpg

21) heads removed
rebuild33.jpg

22) knock sensors removed
rebuild34.jpg

23) shot of the piston faces
rebuild35.jpg

24) heads
rebuild36.jpg

25) heads
rebuild37.jpg

26) heads
rebuild38.jpg

27) valves
rebuild39.jpg

28) cams and rocker arms
rebuild40.jpg

29) pistons and rods removed - JE pistons and Eagle H-beams? not sure on the brand of the rods.
rebuild41.jpg

30) rods and pistons removed, only the crank and main caps left!
rebuild42.jpg

31) another shot
rebuild43.jpg

32) rod bearing
rebuild44.jpg

33) rod bearing
rebuild45.jpg

that was my day! stay tuned for an update tomorrow!

dafizuck

Reaction score

thst o ring looks like the one off the oil dipstick

one hell of a build keep the updates comin

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

ahh nice call, i didn't think about that. illl be sure to check that out tomorrow morning and see what if your right. i did take the dip stick off last week to get the valve cover off. i bet your right.

and will do, ill have updates tomorrow with my plans for the machining and such.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

Quick Update

June 15, 2009
Well, I am at a stand still. I got all of the ARP main cap bolts out except for 1! The outer ARP stud on cap 5 has a stripped Allen keyway. So that is the only thing holding me up. Thankfully ARP had the stud in stock which I ordered directly from ARP for $6, instead of having to order the whole main cap stud kit from summit which is $195. Also, the motor and heads are off to the machine shop tomorrow at 8am!

So stay tuned, more updates to come!

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Dang, that's some bearing carnage.

You should get the timing cover and valve covers blasted and powdercoated to match the car. That would be neato.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Paul said:

You should get the timing cover and valve covers blasted and powdercoated to match the car. That would be neato.

I was thinking the same thing.

Looking good Trey. Second time is the charm!

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

Paul said:

yeah i looked today and i only spun 2 bearings, not 3 like i thought. for powdercoating though, id like to do both. i have my powdercoating kit but the oven we bought is just a tad to small for the valve covers. if you lived closer id have you do it. what color do you think would look good? i like the simple look better than something crazy but i also thought ford blue would look good for the valve covers.

Dalamar said:
I was thinking the same thing.

Looking good Trey. Second time is the charm!
thanks Jeff, hopefully everything will check out and be alright. i can't wait to get this motor finished, only because after i break it in, the supercharger is going straight on!

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score

subscribes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online