Trick Flow Questions

kaveman

Reaction score
I'm starting my money jar for some Trick Flow heads this winter to slap on my 98. Just trying to get some more info before I buy them and figure out what cc would be best for me. I believe the 38cc's will raise the compression to around 10ish:1 and the 44cc's will keep the compression to nearly stock.

I DD it in the non-snowy months and I also plan on investing in the TF manifold and a couple fuel system upgrades when I get the heads.

No boostiness anywhere in the near future so right now I'm leaning more towards the 38's.

If I do go with the 38cc heads what would I need to take full advantage of the higher compression ratio?
Is the higher compression safe for a stock shortblock?
Hp/Torque Gains expected?

Feel free to post dyno sheets/numbers if you've gone with the TF setup.

Thanks
-Calvin

chris91

Reaction score
I wouldnt waste the money on the TF Intake Manifold. With the stock bottom end you wont be revving high enough to utilize it. The stock PI manifold is plenty for a mild N/A build.

OP
OP
kaveman

kaveman

Reaction score
I wouldnt waste the money on the TF Intake Manifold. With the stock bottom end you wont be revving high enough to utilize it. The stock PI manifold is plenty for a mild N/A build.

I would realllly like to avoid any stock manifolds. Any recommendations on a different one?

chris91

Reaction score
The stock PI is good enough o put down 350 hp with the Trick Flows. Just ask [MENTION=14880]03DSGGT[/MENTION]. Why do you want to go aftermarket?

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
If youre not doing anything with the bottom end, and don't plan on running some big ol nasty cams, the PI intake will be fine. The 44cc heads on your '98 shortblock will give you roughly 10.25:1, and the 38cc heads will give you 11.22:1. Of course this is assuming that you have a factory spec '98 shortblock in your car. I ran 11.3:1 compression with my old setup on 93 octane with no issues with a stock NPI shortblock, however I also had large enough cams to help with the compression. My opinion is that if youre daily driving the car in the summer, get the 44s and a set of CMS stage 2 or 2.5 N/A cams. The 10.25:1 compression will go well with that size cam, and keep the stock manifold in place. Ive been back and forth with aftermarket and the stock manifold on my setups, and the stock manifold made better power every time. That setup should give you 320-330 rwhp and be friendly on the street...

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I agree with the guys. Any aftermarket manifold for these cars require you spin your car to 6500+ to see any gains at all. From reading your mod list it doesn't even say that you run a PI manifold either...are you still running the stock non-pi that came on your 98? If so, the PI itself would be a HUGE upgrade especially with those heads and some mild cams

OP
OP
kaveman

kaveman

Reaction score
Why do you want to go aftermarket?

The day I bought my car I cracked the stock NPI manifold near the Plenum. That could have very well been from a previous owner's neglect but I was just looking for something a little stronger.

I ran 11.3:1 compression with my old setup on 93 octane with no issues with a stock NPI shortblock, however I also had large enough cams to help with the compression. My opinion is that if youre daily driving the car in the summer, get the 44s and a set of CMS stage 2 or 2.5 N/A cams. The 10.25:1 compression will go well with that size cam, and keep the stock manifold in place. Ive been back and forth with aftermarket and the stock manifold on my setups, and the stock manifold made better power every time. That setup should give you 320-330 rwhp and be friendly on the street...

Great information here! Thanks! From what your saying, the compression seems a little high for what I would like with those 38cc's. 44's it is!

As for cams I was thinking of running the cam that comes in the TF head package. I can't seem to find the specs on that cam but I'm guessing that it will be enough to take care of the slightly higher compression. If not, I can always try to grab a cheap set of stage 2 comp cams from somewhere.

I do believe that I will be running the Pi manifold now to save some $. It seems like it will handle what I'm planning for my build perfectly.

are you still running the stock non-pi that came on your 98? If so, the PI itself would be a HUGE upgrade especially with those heads and some mild cams

I am still running the stock NPI manifold but I was definitely planning on upgrading that during this build. I have seen how big the gains are with just the PI manifold and a set of stage 2 comp cams. Like I said, I was just worried about the strength of the stock pi manifold.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Don't worry about the strength of it. It holds plenty of boost and plenty of juice without guys having issues...you'll be just fine with a mild n/a build

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online