turbo build advice please

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by lolls1, May 24, 2014.

1. lolls1

lolls1 New Member

I'm building my 306 for a on3 performance turbo kit. Goin to run the turbo it comes with until it gose then have a garrett. I have a few questions. First budget is around $2500-$3000. What brand of pistons and rings would be best. And compression ratio. Head gaskets. And blow through carb. I don't want to mess with building a blow through but don't want to spend half my budget on one. Last question I have a performer intake and a Vic jr, witch would be better for the turbo? I'm shooting for 400-500hp. As if now it has tfs1 cam, Holley fuel system, msd ignition, port and polished gt40s. It has Keith black pistons at 11.1 compression right now so that's the first thing I have to change.

2. Rallim

Rallim Active Member

400-500 you'd probably make with just the turbo setup on a stock motor. GT40 top end with an On3 kit I've seen make close to 500whp.

3. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

Well, you might want to change the hotside, because that one will give you problems later on, I would use a stock cam or F303 cam but the TFS 1 cam will work but it wouldn't be the best, also gt40 heads don't seem to like anything over 11lbs unless you smooth out the chamber to fight detonation, but I would keep the pistons you have and run low boost with C16 race gas, with low boost your air inlet temps will be nice and low.