Turbo or Supercharger?

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
So I have a 4.6L with forged internals a pi head swap and boost cams. Motor isn't installed yet. I have a 76mm turbo that I was going to put on the car after the motor swap and after the 500 mile break in. Someone offered me swap me a T trim supercharger for my turbo and I'll be honest I know next to nothing about cars. I do know the difference between a supercharger and a turbo and some of the pros and cons to each. Just curious what more experienced people might offer up as to which way I should go. I would greatly appreciate your input.

95opal

Reaction score
If you know next to nothing about cars a blower will be a lot easier for you to install. You can have it bolted on in 1.5hrs. A turbo set up wil be a lot more involved getting it set up.

OP
OP
D

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
So manual t-45. Currently has 4.10 solid axel, but will be doing a cobra irs swap. So wife made me buy the car for date night and vacation and got to talking with the friend I bought it from and was joking about turning it into just decent street machine. Well I talked myself into it and here we are. Gonna keep the car and drive it for fun it's not my daily driver. I'll be 40 this year and had my first of 4 kids when I was 16 so been broke nearly all my adult life. Had a horrible divorce from my ex (mom to the 4 kids) . I wound up with the kids. Got remarried to a wonderful scary red head that spoils me, and we are down to only 1 kid in the house and she told me to have fun and build the car how I wanted. I just want to have good power and fun don't want to race people or drag. Just have a real muscle car so I can say I did it.

Sorry for the long post but I think that sums it up.

OP
OP
D

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
A friend who does know what he is doing and I are doing it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I agree a supercharger is the way to go but I’d skip the T trim. It’s old technology, you can get a decent Si trim for 5-6k.

OP
OP
D

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
I agree a supercharger is the way to go but I’d skip the T trim. It’s old technology, you can get a decent Si trim for 5-6k.
If I had the money I might go this route but the t trim is free basically cause I'm trading the turbo kit I already have for it

95opal

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a t-trim tried and true, plenty to get you 650hp. Not sure why the smaller si trim was even mentioned.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Being a street car an Si trim will make power sooner with the stock pulley. Realistically they flow similarly so there won’t be much difference. I’m not too familar with the T trim but from research it doesn’t look like vortec sells them anymore so support for them probably isn’t there either.

The point is, op doesn’t want a racecar and isn’t mechanically inclined. It’s in his best interest to go with a cookie cutter combo instead of getting a blower and tune from someone else.

95opal

Reaction score
I know all about vortecs been running them on and off or 30 years. They no longer sell the old t trim but still rebuild and sell parts for them the new tTrim is rebranded as a ti. With that said why buy a 5k set up when he can trade the turbo he has for a t trim set up and spend zero dollars? Makes no sense what so ever.

OP
OP
D

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
Ok maybe I should have clarify. I'm not mechanically inclined however, dad worded for local city garage until retirement round and drag raced still round track races and so does my older brother. I work in the IT field and my ability to problem solve and find answers has been a huge help. I may not can do but I have resources to at least get an idea. I really appreciate you guys opinion and I think the t trim is the way to go. It's a full unused kit with 3 pulleys and 3 belts. It was a s trim that was sent back to vortec and upgraded to t trim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
arguing which supercharger is better vs which is available is a fun topic.

From hearing what I have heard, for a system back from a fresh rebuild I would definitely do that trade. Turbo's are more power if you know how to use them but they are also more work to install as I am not sure I have heard anyone that did one that didn't struggle at some point with something. Now the vortech comes with instructions that even a first time user like myself was able to follow, not to mention the years of proven reliability that they have been proven to offer

95opal

Reaction score
Ok maybe I should have clarify. I'm not mechanically inclined however, dad worded for local city garage until retirement round and drag raced still round track races and so does my older brother. I work in the IT field and my ability to problem solve and find answers has been a huge help. I may not can do but I have resources to at least get an idea. I really appreciate you guys opinion and I think the t trim is the way to go. It's a full unused kit with 3 pulleys and 3 belts. It was a s trim that was sent back to vortec and upgraded to t trim

You scored on a good deal. Enjoy

Snorky

Reaction score
Having had a centri on my car and a turbo kit. The turbo kit will annihilate the centei blower in terms of power, but it comes with a severe cost. I find that the turbo set has been a never ending headache of problems and hot side leaks. I do miss the days of a centri blower where you bolt it on, make sure the belts are aligned, tune it and forget about it. Its comparable with having a fun car you can race everybight where you win some, You lose some.. as opposed to a car that sits on jackstands most of the time and slays the dragon whenever it makes it off the stands.

If you arent a savy mechanic and you are not racing the thing seriously. Go with the centri blower.

07GtS197

Reaction score
And who is going to tune it for him? I get the money standpoint, had I been able to read minds and known it was an unused kit that he would be trading I would agree monetarily it makes sense. However, based on availability and the simple fact that the new kit comes with everything including a tune, so in a sense it’s plug and play, if money wasn’t a factor that would be the easiest path for the op. I don’t want to argue about the blowers, I know what they’re both capable of. Op if you have someone reputable who is going to tune that combo, great. That’s the way to go then.

OP
OP
D

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
I understand I will have to get it tuned. We're going to get there after the motor break in and supercharger is installed. Yeah they are reputable :) I super appreciate everyone helping and giving their input. It's made all the difference.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Have you ever heard a blower when it's howling? Awesome shit there. Blower is instant power, turbo needs to build boost and lags in the take off. Plus they just don't sound as cool. Granted they're awesome when in the top end power range, but it is never ending tuning. If you can find someone willing to work with you. So for me, Supercharger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online