two codes

chuckssn95

Reaction score
I just got my 96 3.6l mustang. It had a cel on when i got it. ( got it from my stepdad he didn't want it any more was gonna junk it.) that cel was for running to lean i forgot the code that was throwing. I replaced two vacuum hoses that where dry rotted. I cleared the code and it went away. I was driving the other day and the light came back on so i thought that it was for the same thing so i didnt bother to check it. Well i was driving the other night and it lost power but cam back right away. It did that a few more times. I hooked up my laptop and read the codes. Now it has a P0153( O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response) and P0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected). 200 thousand miles not sure how many because the odometer does not work. Would i need to replace O2 sensor? thanks for the help.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
More than likely, and the exhaust gas recirc is your egr valve. If you have a programmer, id delete the egr, and turn the function off with the computer.

OP
OP
C

chuckssn95

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I changed the 02 sensors and cleaned the EGR. Drove it around after doing this and it drove fine. Took it out later and it started to miss fire again and check CEL came on again. Code P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit. Have no clue what this could be.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
did you replace with Motorcraft o2 sensors, or did you use bosch or something? O2 sensors pretty much always need to be Motorcraft.

OP
OP
C

chuckssn95

Reaction score
Pretty sure they where Motorcraft was being cheap and pulled them from a car at the local lkq.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chuckssn95

Reaction score
Is there up stream and down stream on the 3.8l?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but the downs don't really do anything. your a/f is pretty much all sorted out with the upstreams