Updating auto shifter on the cheap.

PinkieT

Reaction score
My wife thinks her factory t-handle auto shifter and plastic PRNDL is boring. I have to agree. I bought a used B&M Hammer to replace it, but it is set up for a C4 and she has a stock trans. Well, I picked up a shift knob at work with a spring loaded thumb button. I took the old one out and trial fit it - even with no boot or bezel it looks better and functions just fine. I offered to put an overdrive button someplace but she never shuts it off so it doesn't matter to her. I have a new manual style shift boot on order. Once it is in, she'll have a unique setup for under $30. I'll have pics by next weekend.

Gotta give the lady credit. I sent her a pic of the shift knob and asked her if she wanted it. Her first question was will it work on her car, but the second one impressed me. "How much is it?". I told her and she said "I like the price. Go for it!". She liked it and wanted it, but she watches her spending just like me.

delling3

Reaction score
Looking forward to pictures. I thought about something similar - but couldn't figure out how to do it. Also, with the manual shift boot, you won't have any visible indicator as to what position the shifter is in? Maybe not a problem if the driver is familiar with the car, but could be a problem if someone else is driving?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Pics will come. Yep, the PRNDL will not be visible, but my wife is fine with that. Being that the only people who might ever drive it are her, me, and maybe the local garage, we figure it should be OK.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Ok, progress so far. Popped off bezel (reinstalled for the pics). Factory knob comes loose by loosening hex screw in back. 2 screws hold the PRNDL bezel. Cut cable tie holding OD wire. Pulled old knob off. New knob installs with three set screws that are too long and stick out - if I can't find shorter screws, I'll grind them down. The boot comes Tuesday, as will new pics. May put the PRNDL bezel back so the boot is captured between it and the outer bezel, don't know yet.
00556fc0cad16dec5e81b9a3312d4415.jpg
8abba1ad26ad84650a4dc5fe59b22e26.jpg
fb049898b6eb1e842d206fa2714b8dc7.jpg
a55cdcd245f0b750d2373af3ce6dab5b.jpg
087f34616e4f6e167dfaf61b2fb4055c.jpg

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Got the boot in yesterday's mail, put it on. Looks SO much better! The job is done except for swapping the set screws with ones that don't make the knob look like Frankenstein's neck. Will post pics when the new set screws are on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online