Upgrade dilemma here

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Does it make sense to put either AFR's or GT40 heads on with the stock intake? From my latest research all other intakes will hit the hood or at a minimum require removing the strut tower brace?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Does it make sense to put either AFR's or GT40 heads on with the stock intake? From my latest research all other intakes will hit the hood or at a minimum require removing the strut tower brace?

Yes because it’s helluva lot easier to upgrade the intake later than to pull the top end back off to do heads.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Yes because it’s helluva lot easier to upgrade the intake later than to pull the top end back off to do heads.
That was my thoughts but will I see much difference with just the heads? Found a set of GT40 3 bars. Supposedly they are fresh and ready to go for $500 but tried to call the guy last night and he didn't answer but may hold off and go with the AFR's and do it over winter.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That was my thoughts but will I see much difference with just the heads? Found a set of GT40 3 bars. Supposedly they are fresh and ready to go for $500 but tried to call the guy last night and he didn't answer but may hold off and go with the AFR's and do it over winter.

Yeah, you’ll notice a difference. It will require a tune. Yes, you will be hamstrung by the stock intake BUT you’ll make more power with the AFR’s vs any stock, GT40 head regardless of which intake you have.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
IMG_7586.jpeg

Pretty simple recipe to follow. That was likely a fox body so you’d have to do some minor weight reduction to match those times but very doable.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
nice. way faster than i need to go in it but if i did all that with the stock cam i should be well into the 13's? Even with the stock intake should probably hit 13's?
Part of me wants to build a real nice motor with bigger numbers but part of me says 'leave it alone'...lol

Wmac

Reaction score
Most ditch the stb when installing top-end upgrades. Its a pita when changing wires, plugs, even checking the oil.

Optionizer, take off the stock brace (8 bolts?) and drive it for awhile. You probably will not notice any difference with or without.

Here's some pics for you. Mock-up of stock stb with explorer intake. Cobra intake with Ford "Gt40" brace.

Attachments

• 20220417_164622.jpg
    20220417_164622.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230612_114918 (2).jpg
    20230612_114918 (2).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 10

Wmac

Reaction score
It was sold through Ford dealers as an accessory and their performance parts program (now frpp) for use with the tubular GT40 intake.
It may have originated on all of the 95 Cobra R's.
So yes, it fits all 4 of the GT 40 style intakes.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i remember when i bought my gt 40 intake a long time ago from ford motorsports
they did not have any of those braces and none of the gts were going to fit
i ended up pulling it from a wrecked cobra that was in 96

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
So based on everything I am reading and hearing I think I have a game plan. For now just find and fix the AF leak, which I'm pretty sure are the intake gaskets. After we get back from our road trip I think I'll do the shift kit then that will be it until October or so when we put it away for winter. Winter I will start looking at heads, intake and new strut tower brace that will clear the intake. Will likely stick with the stock cam and AFR 185 heads and probably the Explorer intake. I MAY do a gear change to 3.73's but will likely wait another year to see how this works with the 3.27's. Another possibility would be a torque convertor. Nothing wild, maybe 2000 stall area. This will all depend on funds and I may change my mind but for now I think this will be the plan.

joemomma

Reaction score
Any idea what he charges for porting now?

And also, this is my new favorite quote:
Some is ok, more is better, excessive is perfect

Flade

Reaction score
Thinking this might be the best route. Had another guy tell me it is a big hassle to put the Explorer intake on the SN95? Said it required a bunch of mods and making new throttle cable brackets, etc. Said it is a straight forward swap on a Fox body but a real pain with the SN95? Any truth to that?
He doesn’t know what he is taking about. The explorer intake needs very small mods. it has 3 or 4 vacuum ports that need to be tapped and plugged. Otherwise it is bolt on. added GT40 heads and the Explorer intake to my son‘s 95. Spend an afternoon modifying the intake, super easy if you have the right taps and plugs ready. Next day we swapped the heads and intake.

Flade

Reaction score
FYI, 94/95 sn95 cobra's, did not come with a stb, but Ford made one available through their accessory parts program.
That is incorrect. 94/95 GTs came with the Shock Tower Brace from the factory. The 4.6 cars (96-98) did not. The stock brace will not clear the Explorer intake, but there are aftermarket braces that do. You do need the intake elbow. (I have one available if you need it). Stock valve covers work fine unless you change rockers. Stock Cam with a mild tune really wakes up with the heads, intake and gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.