Upgrade dilemma here

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Thinking I'll start collecting parts. Either GT40 3 bars or AFR's depending on budget along with the GT40 intake but want to get the aftermarket stb first. I don't feel comfortable running without one as I've seen what chronic flex can do to metal. Then just do it all at once. May do cam swap but not sure I want to get into that much work for what we are doing. I don't want to pull the engine and don't really feel like pulling the rad and AC condenser. Would I still need a tune if I just did the heads and intake?

95GTS5L

Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to replace both the t-stat, and gasket as well as short hose to water pump i beleive, Doing this job first will tell you if the intake gasket at the head side is leaking as well. Also check that yoir t-stst housing $$$ is an original neck as the aftermarket ones will leak. Best gasket are the blue fel pro and with the small hose off you will have success lining it all up. I keep spares of those gaskets on hand. Good idea to lightly rtv the t-stat side that sits in the housing groove first wait 10-15 minutes then you can tack on the rtv wiped gasket. Then if you find the intake is leaking afterwards the housing can remain attached to the intake at that point. Only need to drain the rad a bit as well for job 1. Also remember older green antifreeze. Danny

Wmac

Reaction score
Flade, reread my post. I said the 94/95 cobra's DID NOT come with a stb.

This post is about the OP's stb on his GT. I show a pic above of the stock stb from my gts and how it will not fit over an explorer upper.

I also show a Ford "gt 40 style " stb with a cobra intake and mention that this particular brace may have originated on the Cobra R's.

Nowhere did I mention that a 94/95 Gt did not have a stb.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
I have AFR 185 heads, a Track Heat intake, Trick Flow valve covers, 1.6 roller rockers, would not fit under stock ST brace, does fit under after market brace (I think it was made by Mac but not 100% positive, bought it many years ago). A lot of things are not available for the 94-95s anymore.

Attachments

• 0A674417-0343-4173-9EFA-4E53E86ABEF5.jpeg
    0A674417-0343-4173-9EFA-4E53E86ABEF5.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 5
  • A3C451D4-D4A7-4B26-A235-BE0D9D1ABC1C.jpeg
    A3C451D4-D4A7-4B26-A235-BE0D9D1ABC1C.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A8291165-11CC-4469-8D4E-01BFEBAA24F5.jpeg
    A8291165-11CC-4469-8D4E-01BFEBAA24F5.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Will probably change my mind 5 times before I start this project but thinking of 2 options and leaning towards 1.
Car will be a weekend cruiser with about 95% of its time under 3500 RPM. May see the 1/4 mile once a year if that and I don't street race. Would just like to have a little more get up and go.
Either way I'd like to stick with 1.6's due to valve cover clearance and STB clearance with taller valve covers but plan to likely replace the factory STB with a different one for intake clearance issues so 1.7's will be fine if everything clears.

First option: GT40 heads with something like the Comp Cams XE266 cam with Explorer intake

Second option: AFR 165's or 185's (or comparable) with Explorer intake, stock cam and stock everything else.

I figure either one of these should get me to a place I'd be happy with. Not concerned with GT40 heads limiting my potential as this motor will never be pushed any harder than this.

I'll likely do some home porting by at least gasket matching all ports. Only 'reason' for a cam swap would be a little lope at idle. Read the stock cam can support up to about 350HP so as far as performance it should be fine with AFRs. May upgrade the torque convertor at some point but it would be mild but not sure I'd really need it.

I'm thinking either combo should get me close to about 300HP (~250RWHP)?

I'm leaning towards #2 as I could leave the stock cam in it and have less compatibility issues with computer or SD vs MAF, etc?

Thoughts? If I go the GT40 (3 bar) route I'll start looking for parts now. I would be sending the heads out for a check over by my machine shop so I'd have at least a $400 bill from him for heads so likely have at least $600-700 in the heads. AFR's will be closer to about $1500. Either way I'd be using an Explorer intake so will start looking for that now. I figure AFR's with stock cam will be about the same cost as GT40's with aftermarket cam?

Wmac

Reaction score
You have been officially bitten by the bug. LOL

Keep an eye open in the classified's, visit your local salvage yard and start collecting parts yesterday. You can modify your "plan" at any time.

Parts are out there, don't forget that there was only a 2 year run for these cars, that can work in your favor at times.

Many of the upgrades can be done by yourself, right up to refurbishing e set of heads. Porting/polishing is relatively easy to do, just very messy and time consuming. But a great winter project.

Make a trip to the track for some base line runs. You will be very surprised at the time slip results.

Be aware that any time you change the volume of air entering the intake, issues with the ecu will probably rear their ugly head. Be prepared for possible tuning costs.

But most importantly, enjoy your ride.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
You have been officially bitten by the bug. LOL

Keep an eye open in the classified's, visit your local salvage yard and start collecting parts yesterday. You can modify your "plan" at any time.

Parts are out there, don't forget that there was only a 2 year run for these cars, that can work in your favor at times.

Many of the upgrades can be done by yourself, right up to refurbishing e set of heads. Porting/polishing is relatively easy to do, just very messy and time consuming. But a great winter project.

Make a trip to the track for some base line runs. You will be very surprised at the time slip results.

Be aware that any time you change the volume of air entering the intake, issues with the ecu will probably rear their ugly head. Be prepared for possible tuning costs.

But most importantly, enjoy your ride.
oh i got bit 35 years ago. just got vaccinated (had kids) and that has worn off now...lol. i used to drag race my '69 Chevelle every weekend back in the 90's (650hp 454) but not looking to do that anymore. But I am a rookie when it comes to modding ECU controlled cars...lol

As far as the heads go, they would definitely go to my guy to have them milled, guides, assembly, etc. That is beyond my skill level but I can port match. I wouldn't feel comfortable throwing used heads on without having him go over them. I'd be reluctant even if the seller said they were just done. I'd rather trust my guy...lol

And good to know about the ECU. I know certain things might require a tune but no idea what might or might not. I'd have no idea who to call about that.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Looking online for intakes and unsure of something. I see some have the internal EGR and some don't. Which do I need for a 1995 GT? Assuming internal? So the one with the EGR port in the intake inlet?

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
Better heads, cam, intake, will also require bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, throttle body, mass air, tuning and better exhaust. If you don’t plan to do those things, you won’t gain what you expect from your other parts. Many of us can tell you that plans start out small and snowball. I have a set of used Ford Racing 42lb injectors that are no longer available from what I understand, and were working fine when my plans snowballed . Now I have 80lb injectors, an even larger fuel pump, larger fuel lines, Novi 2000 supercharger, etc etc.. I would sell the 42lb injectors if you are interested. I’d have to see what they are going for.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Better heads, cam, intake, will also require bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, throttle body, mass air, tuning and better exhaust. If you don’t plan to do those things, you won’t gain what you expect from your other parts. Many of us can tell you that plans start out small and snowball. I have a set of used Ford Racing 42lb injectors that are no longer available from what I understand, and were working fine when my plans snowballed . Now I have 80lb injectors, an even larger fuel pump, larger fuel lines, Novi 2000 supercharger, etc etc.. I would sell the 42lb injectors if you are interested. I’d have to see what they are going for.
At what point am I 'crossing that line'? With GT40 heads and Explorer intake and maybe a Steeda 19 cam will I be ok or what else would I have to upgrade? Or what about AFR 185 heads and Explorer intake and stock cam? Still need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors?
I know how that slippery slope works but won't happen with this car. If the racing bug bites again then I'll get something else to play with. This car is mostly my wifes since she wanted a convertible and I wouldn't feel comfortable going too fast in a convertible.
Car has an upgraded exhaust, just not sure what yet. Might just be upgraded mufflers on a stock exhaust though. Also has a 65mm BBK TB and a BBK CAI already.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
The stock ‘95 GT, I have heard came with anywhere from a 88lph pump to a 110lph pump (different people have claimed to have had different ones, so not sure what you have). The injectors were 19lb. Ford put 24lb. ones in the Cobras, which might be similar to GT40/explorer combo. I ran 30lb. injectors in a ‘93 LX I used to have with GT40X heads, Trick Flow intake, E303 cam, exhaust. It ran decent with an auto trans, w/shift kit and mild stall, 3.73 gears. You are better off when not maxing your injectors out. I think the recommended % when tuning is like 80% of injectors capacity. I could be wrong, others are free to chime in. I am not a tuner by any means. A lot of the injectors available now for the older cars are junk from what I understand. There are some good ones, research it.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
Admin, on a different note, why does my profile still say “new member” and newer members doesn’t?

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I'm ok with upgrading injectors. Just seems I have heard 4 or 5 people now tell me I can't add 50hp without pretty much rebuilding the whole car. Were these cars that bad from the factory that I can't throw an intake on it without spending $2000 to upgrade everything else? I bought it to just have nice Sunday cruises but figured I'd add little to it but seems like you can't do anything to these cars unless you go all in.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
I'm ok with upgrading injectors. Just seems I have heard 4 or 5 people now tell me I can't add 50hp without pretty much rebuilding the whole car. Were these cars that bad from the factory that I can't throw an intake on it without spending $2000 to upgrade everything else? I bought it to just have nice Sunday cruises but figured I'd add little to it but seems like you can't do anything to these cars unless you go all in.

They are not bad, they have been one of the most popular cars to hot rod since forever. Do your cam, heads, intake and then get it dyno tuned. If it needs more fuel you’ll know.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
They are not bad, they have been one of the most popular cars to hot rod since forever. Do your cam, heads, intake and then get it dyno tuned. If it needs more fuel you’ll know.
Many people started out just doing cheap things back in the day: K&N filter, underdrive pulleys, gear, removing the air intake baffle majigger in the fender, CAI, exhaust, maybe advanced the timing a little or did a chip, maybe a 50-75 HP shot of nitrous, sticky tires. That maybe all you need.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
No nitrous for me. I had a buddy back in the day that would buy a junkyard motor and put a 200+HP shot on it then brag about how fast it was. To me that was cheating as the rest of us bought the expensive stuff and paid for fancy machine work. I swore at that time I would never run nitrous. But for what I'm doing nitrous wouldn't be wise anyway. I'm not racing anyone so it would be a waste to use it up just for the seat of the pants feel.
I have the CAI and 65mm TB already. Maybe I'll just do a Cobra copy motor to avoid all this stuff. Just throw GT40 heads and intake and 24lb injectors and be done with it. Shouldn't have any issues then I wouldn't think?
I used to pull my motor a few times a year and always changing this or that. I'm 54 and don't want to be doing that anymore so looking for something I can enjoy and not have to constantly be messing with. I don't want a 'project', just something fun to drive on the weekends.

95opal

Reaction score
A used vortech would be the easiest and most effective way to meet your needs. The gt40 crap is going to be a huge disappointment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online