Upgrade dilemma here

optionizerSS

Reaction score
So our 1995 GT 5.0 has an AF leak near the front of the engine. I haven't pinpointed it yet but it is a very small leak. Initial thoughts were t-stat housing but after looking again I'm leaning towards intake gaskets since there are pools on each side of the t-stat housing and the pool on the drivers side doesn't look like it could come from there.

Anyway, we are planning about a 1500-2000 mile trip mid-July and planning to take the Mustang. Car is 100% stock other than the 65mm TB and BBK CAI I installed last week. I have a slight itch to install GT40 heads and intake but not till winter. But if I pull the intake to replace the gaskets I'm thinking I might as well do them then? Talked to my machine shop and he gave me a ballpark of $400-500 to prep a set of heads. I can buy a set of freshly done GT40P's (4 bar) for $700. Another thought is to spend a little more if I can pick up aftermarket heads for around $1200? Plan would be to leave the stock cam. Over winter a shift kt and maybe 3.73's.

I just hate to pull the intake to replace the gasket and put the crap intake back on. And I don't think it makes sense to upgrade to theGT40 intake but leave the stock heads?

Hopefully I find the AF leak is simple so I have more time to make a decision or find parts but I would need to start this project in the next week or two.

Thoughts or opinions?

lutter94

Reaction score
I have a set of 3 bars waiting for motivation. My opinion has been to do the heads cam and intake all at the same time. I have an explorer intake pulled from a junk yard. Haven't chosen a cam yet. It's between a steeds 19, e303, and trick flow

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What’s “AF”?
(Go Steelers!)

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Not sure I want to swap cams. Ideally sure but not sure I will have the time if I need this all done by mid July. Would likely involve pulling the engine or at least the rad and AC coil. Not sure I want to get into that much work so that's why I was gonna leave the stock cam in it. At that point I would need a convertor and this suddenly turns into a big project. Thus my dilemma...lol. I'd like to wait till winter to do any of this but if I plan to take it on this road trip I need to fix it first.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me with a big trip ahead, I’d fix what needs fixing to make it a sweet, reliable ride. Then, when you get back home, do the heads and cam x

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
If it were me with a big trip ahead, I’d fix what needs fixing to make it a sweet, reliable ride. Then, when you get back home, do the heads and cam x
Thinking this might be the best route. Had another guy tell me it is a big hassle to put the Explorer intake on the SN95? Said it required a bunch of mods and making new throttle cable brackets, etc. Said it is a straight forward swap on a Fox body but a real pain with the SN95? Any truth to that?

Wmac

Reaction score
Buy a cooling system pressure test kit. Should be able to find the leak with this, great tool to have. Will quickly pay for itself.
Find the leak, repair it, go on your trip.
Plan your mods as a winter project, port the explorer lower to a gasket match, port the GT40 heads to same. Avoid P heads if possible.
Explorer lower requires a t/b adapter to use an SN95 t/b.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Buy a cooling system pressure test kit. Should be able to find the leak with this, great tool to have. Will quickly pay for itself.
Find the leak, repair it, go on your trip.
Plan your mods as a winter project, port the explorer lower to a gasket match, port the GT40 heads to same. Avoid P heads if possible.
Explorer lower requires a t/b adapter to use an SN95 t/b.
by adapter you mean the elbow? I expected that but this guy said it basically couldn't be done without a bunch of mods and wasn't worth it

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
If I have to pull the intake I plan to replace the stock valve covers but want to avoid clearance issues if possible. Any certain valve covers that won't cause interference? What about if I go with roller rockers later? What are the stock rockers? 1.6? I see many run 1.7 but sounds like that is an upgrade?

Wmac

Reaction score
Cobra 1.7 rockers fit under stock valve covers. Most other rockers do not.

Apparently Trickflow valve covers seem to clear many aftermarket rockers. A 3/8" intake spacer will most likely be required plus some grinding of the egr flange.

Be aware that hood clearance can become an issue.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
likely be using my stock rockers but in case i go with rollers later i want to be sure they clear the valve covers

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
So can I put an Explorer intake on with the Edelbrock 3835 angled adapter on my 1995 GT 5.0 and will it clear the factory strut tower? I have a guy telling me I will have alignment issues and cannot use the strut tower brace? Just odd that I have read and watched dozens of videos of people doing this and this is the only guy I have ever heard say there will be issues?

Wmac

Reaction score
No, you cannot use a stock stb with an explorer, cobra, tubular upper or any other aftermarket upper intake manifold. It simply will not fit.

FYI, 94/95 sn95 cobra's, did not come with a stb, but Ford made one available through their accessory parts program.

And yes, an edelbrock, mac, p/p or tfi t/b adapter are required to mate an sn95 t/b to an explorer upper.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
No, you cannot use a stock stb with an explorer, cobra, tubular upper or any other aftermarket upper intake manifold. It simply will not fit.

FYI, 94/95 sn95 cobra's, did not come with a stb, but Ford made one available through their accessory parts program.

And yes, an edelbrock, mac, p/p or tfi t/b adapter are required to mate an sn95 t/b to an explorer upper.
Thanks

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Trick Flow Track Heat intake will fit under the strut tower brace and under the hood? I don't want to remove or replace the brace or hood so my options are getting pretty limited. At this point looking like I will keep the stock GT intake. May upgrade heads but not sure it would make sense with the stock intake on there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.